2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except Oregon doesn't lack an identity. The shoulder wings and Bellotti Bold font are on every uniform and the "O" is on every helmet. Some of you people vastly exaggerate the "lack" of an identity Oregon supposedly has.

Remember when they had the steel grating look? I wouldn't get to attached to the shoulder wings.

Coupled with their willingness to hit the field in uniforms devoid of their school colours and I would say they're lacking in the identity department.

Oregon's "identity" isn't the steel grating or the wings anymore than South Carolina's "identity" is random piping.

Well perhaps the wings or steel grating could become part of the visual identity if Nike could control themselves and let one or the other stick around for a while. Granted the wings haven't gone anywhere, yet, but if they last longer then three seasons at the most I'll genuinely be surprised.

Oregon doesn't lack an identity, in fact I'd say it has one of the strongest identities in all of college sports. It just isn't boiled down to a number font or a jersey design element...

If you need something visual, its the 'O' on the helmet. That hasn't changed since they introduced the logo, and there are no indications that its going anywhere.

So the visual elements of Oregon's uniforms aren't part of the identity. Do you realize how insane that sounds? The uniform design elements and colours are the basis of a team's identity. By your own admission all you have is the O logo, which doesn't make it "one of the strongest identities in all of college sports."

Now you're just being argumentative for the sake of arguing.

Not really. No consistent jersey design. No consistent colouring. All you have to hold the whole thing together is an O logo that people call "the Oakley logo."

As for Nike "owning" the University of Oregon, that might be a little much, but I think it's realistic to say that they own the athletic department. Your argument is that Phil Knight is just donating to his alma mater, and that he happens to own Nike. His donations shouldn't be read as Nike financially leveraging control over the athletic program.

Well think of it this way. If Mr. Knight was only interested in seeing his alma mater's athletic program succeed then why is he pushing Nike's experimental designs on the program?

I'm interested to see how you respond to Oregon/Nike critics who you CAN'T write off as "just being jealous."

Except Oregon doesn't lack an identity. The shoulder wings and Bellotti Bold font are on every uniform and the "O" is on every helmet. Some of you people vastly exaggerate the "lack" of an identity Oregon supposedly has.

Remember when they had the steel grating look? I wouldn't get to attached to the shoulder wings.

Coupled with their willingness to hit the field in uniforms devoid of their school colours and I would say they're lacking in the identity department.

Oregon's "identity" isn't the steel grating or the wings anymore than South Carolina's "identity" is random piping.

Well perhaps the wings or steel grating could become part of the visual identity if Nike could control themselves and let one or the other stick around for a while. Granted the wings haven't gone anywhere, yet, but if they last longer then three seasons at the most I'll genuinely be surprised.

Oregon doesn't lack an identity, in fact I'd say it has one of the strongest identities in all of college sports. It just isn't boiled down to a number font or a jersey design element...

If you need something visual, its the 'O' on the helmet. That hasn't changed since they introduced the logo, and there are no indications that its going anywhere.

So the visual elements of Oregon's uniforms aren't part of the identity. Do you realize how insane that sounds? The uniform design elements and colours are the basis of a team's identity. By your own admission all you have is the O logo, which doesn't make it "one of the strongest identities in all of college sports."

Now you're just being argumentative for the sake of arguing.

Not really. No consistent jersey design. No consistent colouring. All you have to hold the whole thing together is an O logo that people call "the Oakley logo."

As for Nike "owning" the University of Oregon, that might be a little much, but I think it's realistic to say that they own the athletic department. Your argument is that Phil Knight is just donating to his alma mater, and that he happens to own Nike. His donations shouldn't be read as Nike financially leveraging control over the athletic program.

Well think of it this way. If Mr. Knight was only interested in seeing his alma mater's athletic program succeed then why is he pushing Nike's experimental designs on the program?

I'm interested to see how you respond to Oregon/Nike critics who you CAN'T write off as "just being jealous."

They'll be back this season, which will be the third IIRC, and I imagine one more after that.

Funny that you characterize it as "pushing Nike's experimental designs on the program" rather than what the team thinks it is: giving them program something it loves and helping out tremendously with recruiting (which is the lifeblood of any football program).

For the last time, uniforms do not help "tremendously with recruiting." You yourself said that recruits, even if they love the Nike stuff, will opt for other schools because of the prestige or opportunities those other programs offer. No one serious about their future playing football will base their final decision on the uniforms.

I was just adding onto what someone else said.

All you do is troll your BS about Oregon being "owned" by Nike. It's funny to watch you be so jealous

If it makes you feel any better, I was essentially just pointing out that black, anthracite, carbon, and piss yellow are never going to be Oregon's colors. Your colors are green and gold. That's it. Middle Tennessee, Washington, Western Kentucky, and Mississippi State will never have black as a school color despite the fact that they insist on wearing hideous black alts.

For the last time, uniforms do not help "tremendously with recruiting." You yourself said that recruits, even if they love the Nike stuff, will opt for other schools because of the prestige or opportunities those other programs offer. No one serious about their future playing football will base their final decision on the uniforms.

I think it's helped Oregon as far as getting national attention and making people aware of their existence. But I agree, nobody's going to be making a decision between Oregon and Alabama or somebody decide to go to Oregon because Alabama's uniforms aren't wacky enough or something.

C'mon, man. Surely you're more intelligent than that post makes it seem. Not sure how many ways to say it. Of course recruits don't make their final decision based on uniforms. But uniforms absolutely get recruits to look at schools they otherwise wouldn't have (like Oregon and TCU) and then they take a visit and who knows what will happen from there.

And BTW, way to change the subject from the point of my post. Just bc you don't like the uniforms doesn't mean nike is "pushing them on" Oregon. Oregon loves them because recruits love them. Period.

So you guys really have trouble identifying Oregon?

Don't give me the channel flipping BS either. If you wanted to watch Oregon play you'd look up the time/channel of the game. Not to mention most people look at the score board first before they decide to watch a game when flipping through the channels.

Somebody should change the name of this thread to something along the line's of "Nike Haters vs Non Nike Haters" :P I personally love what Nike has done. I like new ideas and love some of the stuff they put out. TCU's pro combat helmets (both of them) are the :censored: ! I think if a school has the ability to pull off something unique, why the heck not. Again that's my personal opinion and I don't expect everybody to agree with it. No matter how hard they try, they cannot make all 6 billion people happy. Maybe it's because of my youthful generation, but everyone I talk to loves the stuff Nike produces. I know some of the more traditionalists hate it to death, but some people actually like it....There's my rant for the day

Definitely not looking forward to seeing them on the field. The black numbers looks terrible and only serves to remind me of when Arkansas State was the most horrific godawful team in the nation, including great seasons in which we won one game (included two losses to 1-AA schools), another where we won 2 (both against lower division opponents) and other great years and moments in then-Indians football.

The main thing about the uniforms I'm waiting to see is whether they'll actually keep the black helmets with block A-State logo. That would make me at least mildly happy.

Is that a codpiece?

I'm hoping it's just supposed to represent the moisture wicking crap on Adidas' TechFit stuff. If anybody happens to have images of other TechFit designs like that, I'd love to see them just to put my mind at ease.

Adidas and Nike combine forces to create the next evolution of football. Taking aspects of both Oregon and Arkansas State, we present to you the Nike Borat Extreme Pro Football Singlet.

borat_cannes_2.jpg

When Nike buys the school

That already happened.

Because we all know Arizona has never sold out to the swoosh.

gyi0061992822.jpg

Oh wait, is that some Nike logo creep I see?

Nike-Hyper-Elite-New-Arizona-Basketball-Uniforms.jpg

Aren't those brand new Nike HyperElite uniforms?

Heyer_delivers_a_pitch_1.jpg

Wow, get a load of that swoosh!

I guess you're going to argue that Nike's "bought" Arizona now, too? :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

ZOMG WE HAVE A LOGO NO OTHER NIKE SCHOOL HAS THE NIKE LOGO ON THEIR UNIFORM HOW UNUSUAL!

Yeah, there's a huge difference there. You don't see us wearing black and "carbon." Nike may design our uniforms, but we're not the same as Oregon and we never will be. I guarantee that you will never see Arizona wearing anything other than cardinal, navy and white. We're not a Nike experiment. All we get is the stuff that any other normal Nike school gets. Hell, we got the Hyper Elites late compared to a lot of other schools.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Adidas and Nike combine forces to create the next evolution of football. Taking aspects of both Oregon and Arkansas State, we present to you the Nike Borat Extreme Pro Football Singlet.

borat_cannes_2.jpg

The Oregon fans will defend it as they do everything because it "changes the game." :rolleyes:

ZOMG WE HAVE A LOGO NO OTHER NIKE SCHOOL HAS THE NIKE LOGO ON THEIR UNIFORM HOW UNUSUAL!

Yeah, there's a huge difference there. You don't see us wearing black and "carbon." Nike may design our uniforms, but we're not the same as Oregon and we never will be. I guarantee that you will never see Arizona wearing anything other than cardinal, navy and white. We're not a Nike experiment. All we get is the stuff that any other normal Nike school gets. Hell, we got the Hyper Elites late compared to a lot of other schools.

So let me get this straight - Arizona's in the clear because they just wear the uniforms Nike gives them, but Oregon is "owned by Nike" because they just wear the uniforms Nike gives them?

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived