California/Oakland Seals Jersey Crests Photos

TruColor

I have been able to find a few online, but do any of you have any close-up pics of the crests on the California/Oakland Seals game-worn jerseys?

In my research, I'm finding some discrepancies between the NHL's official files, and what was actually worn.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

California Seals Uniform History

Scroll down a bit to find out some good information on their crests and uniforms. Hopefully that's what you're looking for.

Yeah, that's a good resource, but I'm looking for close-up photos of the actual crests...for example, I believe that the Yellow "seal" was in fact, Light Green:

2306634610104603034wnKore_ph.jpg

aut.jpg

2760758570104603034tekGSF_ph.jpg

However, the graphics from that era show Yellow. It's all confusing...

x2_4c2a4e2.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

x2_4c2a4e2.jpg

I'm guessing that's not a game-worn jersey...here are some more I've found:

kent.jpg

gerryehman6768oakseals.jpg

It's definitely a Light Green...I don't think Yellow/Gold was actually a part of their color scheme until they rebranded as a the California Golden Seals for the 1970-1971 season.

Mods - could this be moved to the Sports Logos forum? Maybe this topic would make more sense there.

Is it possible the yellow/golden seal started out as yellow, but picked up pigment from the other threads in the crest and turned greenish?

Was the team always the Golden Seals, or did it start out as the Seals first? I think if the team was the Golden Seals, it might shed evidence that the seal should be gold and not light green.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Not likely that the center of the seal started out yellow and turned greenish. There are team photos from classicauctions.net that show the original logos were paler green to begin with.

As Alex said, printed logos, on Media Guides and pucks that I've seen, weren't the paler green, but were the same darker green as the other green parts of the logo, not yellow. (In both the 'C' California and 'O' Oakland versions, as seen below)

1967-68

1967-68AutryErickson.jpg

1967-68AutryErickson-Crest.jpg

1967-68CaliforniaSealsPuck.jpg

Seals.jpg

1969-70

1969-70OaklandsealsPuck.jpg

The only place I've seen yellow in this Seals' logo, so far anyway, is in reproduction merchandise. That doesn't mean it can't exist as a gameworn/team used logo, but if it does, I haven't seen it. You don't suppose it was altered later to be consistent with the Seals' new colour scheme in the early 70's when they became the 'Golden' Seals?

I went to a SEALS away game at the Aud in Buffalo in the mid 70s. This was while Charlie Finley owned the club.

They wore these green uni's with yellow trim, only a 'SEALS' script logo, and WHITE SKATES. They were getting alot of publicity about the white skates, but I thought it looked silly.

Their home uniform was yellow that year, not white ... I think the white skates was a 1 season thing.

Unfortunately, the SABRES and CANUCKS didn't enter until the '70/'71 season, so I never got to see them play when they had their seal logo ...

cal_seals_70_rd.jpgShmyrGoldenSeals.jpg

Here is another closeup of a game worn jersey crest. I can't imagine that the seal's body was ever bright yellow.

68-69_Oak_hm_Ehman_logo.jpg

This picture makes it look a lot more possible that is was gold at one time...

Archived