Please Rickey, Give It Up!

the only reason why I could fathom putting your own name and number on the back of a jersey is because youre gonna be a fan of that team forever I assume. Youre never gonna get traded or leave as a free agent. I personally wouldnt do it, but I could understand why some do

thats the problem with customized jerseys that have players names and numbers on them. next thing you know, that player is no longer on that team. I have two authentic 49ers jerseys, both Jerry Rice #80. Of course, hes no longer a 49er now, right? Makes me want to wear them less. Ill never part with them, but Im less inclined to wear them.

all my giants and sharks jerseys are blank on the back, for that said reason. a blank football jersey if you ask me looks rather foolish, so I went with a player that would be remembered as a member of that team regardless of where he goes, that being Jerry Rice.

I have a Carbonneau Canadiens one from about 1994, and I still wear and love it. I guess it would be different if he did leave like an FA or something. I just buy blank ones now, though. It's about $80 cheaper then one with the NHL printing on it (A crime IMO)

Let's not let this thread turn into a flame war. If you guys have differences, settle them...umm...not-here. Back to the topic on hand, I see no reason why an able bodied athlete should be forced to retire or told to retire as long as he can still make a healthy phyiscal contribution to his team. If Rickey Dickey over there in Newark wants to keep playing, I say applaud his dedication to his game rather than criticizing him for "tarnishing his name." He's already a lock for Cooperstown based on his MLB accomplishments, nobody's going to look back fifty years from now and say "Ahhh...that Henderson fella was a helluva baseball player...played too long though...shouldn't be in the Hall."

Props to Rickey Henderson for not only having the balls to keep playing at his advanced age, but the skill and talent to do it pretty well.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Let's not let this thread turn into a flame war. If you guys have differences, settle them...umm...not-here.

i thought i was trying to be friendly and jovial and avoid a confrontation...... didn't expect him to completely shoot down a peace offering.

Having your own name put on a pro jersey is lame. Lame lame lame.

Then again, for the reasons mentioned, I'm wary of buying player jerseys--oh, yeah, and they're usually hella expensive, too. Only one I have is an All-Star jersey, but that's a one-year deal, so obviously the player can't be "traded" away from their involvement. Only player-personallized jerseys I'd get would be game-worn (or at least team-issued), but I don't have that kind of money.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I put my name on a leafs and expos jersey, just cause i wanted to see what my name looked like on a leafs and expos jersey.... it looks good.

i have no problem putting a player's name on a jersey, especially if i'm putting patches on it, then no matter what that jersey is a one year thing.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

i don't really have a problem with my name on a jersey either...mainly cus of my 'white cousin' down in houston :D eh, okay it's his name, i just happen to have it too :rolleyes:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I got my name on a 96 team Canada jersey (got it as a gift) the only players I have are a 93 Roy (with all star patch), Nordiques Sakic and Thrashers Savard. I don't like getting player unifroms eitehr, becasue in the modern world of sports players change teams sop much. for me, it'd have to be a tema that they have speant alot of time with, or a unifrom that will always be accosiated with them (ala Nordiques)

Newark thinks he can play and thinks he can do a better job than some 20 yr

Minor league systems aren't mean to win though, they're meant to produce players that have the chance of one day competing at the Major League level. Rickey had his time, let some 20 year old who's never stepped onto a Major League Field have his chance to fulfill his dream. If Minor League teams were meant to win games, good players wouldn't be called up to play the remained of the season for bad teams who have no shot at the MLB playoffs.

A 20 year old isn't gonna get the publicity that Rickey Henderson would get. Would we be talking about the Newark Bears right now if not for the publicity created by Rickey Henderson?

IUe6Hvh.png

Thast a big deal the publicty helps everyone though this is an independant league maybe the attnetion of Rickey will help others get attention. Keep in mind in 2000 Joe Borowski was a Bear and the attnetion of Ozzie Cansecon on the team only helped him.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

i have no problems wearing an outdated jersey... hell, in 10 years you'd have to pay EXTRA for it, because it'd be a throwback.

i've got 2 dallas stars derian hatcher jersey, a nick van exel mavericks jersey, and 2 jevon kearse titans jerseys... a mike dunham predators, and mark messier canucks.

i've never had a problem wearing jerseys that are outdated at all... they normally sell for a great bargain. if you're actually a fan of both the player AND the team, then it's no problem. derian hatcher is my childhood idol, and i'd definately rather wear a hatcher stars jersey than a hatcher red wings one.

You gotta pay the bills or he just loves the game. I'd play as long I could. He'll be 60+ before he gives it up. I hated that guy when he was on the Oakland A's, just killed my Royals when he was playing. :evil:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived