NC State Questioning Use of "Wolfpack" by Loyola (N.O.)

GeauxColonels

That's a ridiculous goal on NC State's part. "Wolfpack" is hardly a unique name like "Blue Devils," "Seminoles" or "Buckeyes."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Are they going to reach an agreement with the History Channel every time they mention German submarine tactics in World War II?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Apparently someone forgot to tell them about the University of Nevada-Reno.

And that hockey team in Hartford.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This type of nonsense wouldn't have happened had NCSU not obtained a ridiculously obscene settlement from Zach Gallaf....Galfinia....Golfinerei.....Goldstei......that fat guy with the beard.

Already licensed by NC State (per the link)...

Wait. Nevada is the Wolf Pack, not the Wolfpack. That's completely different.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

This type of nonsense wouldn't have happened had NCSU not obtained a ridiculously obscene settlement from Zach Gallaf....Galfinia....Golfinerei.....Goldstei......that fat guy with the beard.

He actually went to NC State, so he's already covered.

And that hockey team in Hartford.

They renamed that team and gave it a terrible logo and branding.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Already licensed by NC State (per the link)...

Wait. Nevada is the Wolf Pack, not the Wolfpack. That's completely different.

I think I remember hearing Nevada changing from Wolfpack to Wolf Pack because NC State wanted them to do so.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The funny thing is... U of Nevada, Reno was founded before NC State

But NC State adopted the "Wolfpack" name in 1922, whereas Nevada didn't adopt the name until 1923 or later. Wikipedia says they were named the "Wolves" in 1923 but doesn't mention when it was changed to "Wolf Pack."

I'm not sure this is going to work, since I'm pretty sure the judge will say the word "Wolfpack" has passed into the public domain. Maybe they'd have better luck if they adopted the intentionally ironic spelling "Wulfpach" (a la "Syfy"). NC State is held in the least highest regard academically of the ACC North Carolina schools, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not sure this is going to work, since I'm pretty sure the judge will say the word "Wolfpack" has passed into the public domain. Maybe they'd have better luck if they adopted the intentionally ironic spelling "Wulfpach" (a la "Syfy"). NC State is held in the least highest regard academically of the ACC North Carolina schools, right?

They should just go with this:

500x_wolpfack2.jpg

Wolpfack? Is the person who designed that from New England?

NC State is held in the least highest regard academically of the ACC North Carolina schools, right?

As an alum, I'd be interested to know the evidence behind this claim. We have a fantastic university, with a focus on science and research. As is always the case, it depends on what the student wants to study. Design? Engineering? Math and Physics? Veterinary Medicine? Textiles? NC State's easily the best school in the area for those subjects. Journalism? Business? Education? Pharmacy? Go to Chapel Hill. Law? Art history? Political Science? Maybe Wake Forest is best for you. Duke, of course, has its own areas of established expertise. As do all universities. It's all in what the individual wants and how much effort they are willing to put in. I've known brilliant people (and idiots) from each school.

Back on subject, this kinda bothers me. But then, where do we draw the line between "generic" nicknames and obviously unique ones? Surely we can all agree that "Seminoles" and "Demon Deacons" are clearly unique to their individual schools, while "Tigers" and "Wildcats" are so generic as to be insusceptible to trademark. Is "Wolfpack"? I'm not so sure.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived