2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

I find the Ohio-based hate for the Detroit Red Wings hysterical, yet understandable from the whole... they've been too good for too long. I have family in the Columbus and Cleveland-area and I can remember in the late 1990's most hockey fans there wearing Red Wing or Penguin (usually a Yzerman or Lemieux jersey) jerseys. Once the Blue Jackets settled in, but not instantly, those same fans started proclaiming their deep-seeded hatred of everything Red Wing/Penguin-related. Ohio, it's a special place...

Fans liking the home team? Whoda thunk it?

Says the guy from Michigan who hates the home team. :grin:

Do people just hate the Wings because they're so damn good? I have never hated the Red Wings, I get tired of them winning the cup, but I don't hate them. I have tons of respect for that franchise and the way they have drafted and developed players. Their stars from Yzerman to Lidstrom are humble and great role models. Their teams play the game the right way and are disciplined. I would love for the Canucks to be anywhere close to the franchise that Detroit is.

Also, when did Kyle Wellfed become so effective? I have been very impressed with him throughout the playoffs.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-1 Sharks end of 2.

I will be very upset if we lose this one. So far the Wings have played their worst game, and they aren't 100%. Still that Kronwall goal was huge cause they're working striking distance.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I find the Ohio-based hate for the Detroit Red Wings hysterical, yet understandable from the whole... they've been too good for too long. I have family in the Columbus and Cleveland-area and I can remember in the late 1990's most hockey fans there wearing Red Wing or Penguin (usually a Yzerman or Lemieux jersey) jerseys. Once the Blue Jackets settled in, but not instantly, those same fans started proclaiming their deep-seeded hatred of everything Red Wing/Penguin-related. Ohio, it's a special place...

Says the guy from Michigan who hates the home team. :grin:

Do people just hate the Wings because they're so damn good? I have never hated the Red Wings, I get tired of them winning the cup, but I don't hate them. I have tons of respect for that franchise and the way they have drafted and developed players. Their stars from Yzerman to Lidstrom are humble and great role models. Their teams play the game the right way and are disciplined. I would love for the Canucks to be anywhere close to the franchise that Detroit is.

Also, when did Kyle Wellfed become so effective? I have been very impressed with him throughout the playoffs.

I've hated them since 1986!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I wonder how many cocks Howard needs to suck to get a backcheck. Just sayin...

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I really don't think much of Howard, but for at least this series he has been the Wings best player.

Same here, he was very mediocre during the regular season but hes been really good in this series.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

This reminds me of a game 2 years ago in the playoffs when we dominated the Ducks and were up 2-0 after 2, then pissed it away in a matter of minutes.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Not so much that, the over-embellishment of their disdain for both of the Red Wings and Penguins I found humorous. Though it's nice to see they have such passionate fans. This coming from a person who first thought the idea of a Columbus and not Cincinnati or Cleveland-based team was ludicrous. I went to a Blue Jackets game once, a long time ago, and was pleasantly surprised at their knowledge of the game and passion for it.

Believe me, there are plenty of Red Wing fan holdovers in Columbus. It's part of what makes the Red Wings so annoying. Every time the two teams play there's at least 5,000 Red Wings fans in attendance. In many cases I've seen people at a game wearing Blue Jackets stuff and then the very next game against Detroit they're in Red Wings gear. It's irritating as :censored:. One of my favorite Jackets games I've ever been to was a 1-0 overtime victory over Detroit, specifically because the several thousand Red Wings fans had literally nothing to cheer for.

As for me, I've hated the Red Wings since 1996, so pre Blue Jackets fandom. I didn't like their style of play, or their uniforms, or Mike Vernon and it's what drew me to the Avalanche.

Since the Blue Jackets came into the league my disdain for the franchise has grown. I'm jealous of their success and how spoiled their fans are. It's like I say about Steelers fans, it's easy to be a fan of the Red Wings. Red Wing fans my age don't know what it's like to be a fan of a crappy team. They don't even know what it's like to not make the playoffs and I hate them for that. I hated them "yankee-fying" their team in 2002. I hate them for sweeping the Blue Jackets out of the playoffs without even trying. I hate Holmstrom and Franzen and that their two best players were late round steals. I hate them for being the smartest team in the NHL both on the ice and in scouting and drafting.

I'm not over-embellishing how I feel. I can't wait until the Wings suck again, but I have a feeling I'll be waiting for a long time.

For the record though, I pulled for the Wings in both of the worst case scenario finals. I have a lot of respect for how the Red Wings operate and I would always rather Detroit get a title than the city of Pittsburgh.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not so much that, the over-embellishment of their disdain for both of the Red Wings and Penguins I found humorous. Though it's nice to see they have such passionate fans. This coming from a person who first thought the idea of a Columbus and not Cincinnati or Cleveland-based team was ludicrous. I went to a Blue Jackets game once, a long time ago, and was pleasantly surprised at their knowledge of the game and passion for it.

Well, considering I was 2 in 1997 (think that's when it was) when the 4 cities were awarded franchises, I would've never had a chance to grow a "love" for other teams. Hell, IMO, there are too many Wings fans still left in Central Ohio.

But on the "they've been too good for too long point," why do people hate the Yankees? Or the Lakers? Or the Steelers? Because all they do is win. That's the same reason people hate Detroit.

...and as I'm typing this, the Wings score. :censored:.

(and yeah, what McCarthy said, other than rooting for the Wings against the Pens. Those finals sucked, though)

6fQjS3M.png

Wow the Wings have a chance now, Game 6 at home and Game 7 in San Jose with the weight of the world on the Sharks, if the Wings manage to win in Game 6,

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

JR said it right. Gutless performance from the Sharks.

Actually he said it was a gutless performance from Patrick Marleau. He singled him out, wow.

Archived