2011 NBA Playoffs

Rockstar Matt

Except the Clippers have stockpiled young talent already. Griffin, Gordon, Jordan, Bledsoe, and Aminu are all young and recently drafted. The Clippers at the stage now where they need to get veterans who can dispense their experience and help the team win. I don't see how this is hard to understand.

Its easier than that. Howard threatens to walk, so Miami trades Bosh + picks for Dwight. And, as has been the trend the last few years, Chris Paul threatens he won't resign, so Miami trade Dwayne Wade + pick for Chris Paul. Paul, LeBron, Howard... that's actually a big 3. I mean, with the way they let the off season unfold and with Boston getting KG and Allen, it might not be as big of a pipe dream as people think.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also remember the Celtics have Garnett and Allen out of contract after 2011/12. It's not unthinkable that they could trade those away for Paul and Howard.

Bottom line is the Clips shouldn't think of themselves as first in line for any trades/ free agents just because they have 1 star waiting for some company now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Paul and Howard

They'd be lucky to get one of those guys for Allen and KG. Don't get me wrong, they're great players but why would teams trade young superstars for aging stars. It would be cool to see Howard on the Celtics, they don't need Paul because they have Rondo.

Paul and Howard

They'd be lucky to get one of those guys for Allen and KG. Don't get me wrong, they're great players but why would teams trade young superstars for aging stars. It would be cool to see Howard on the Celtics, they don't need Paul because they have Rondo.

Thats a good point. But even still the Celtics aren't talked about much in all the chatter surrounding trades and free agents but they aren't too far from being possibly big players, then you factor in the Nets, Lakers, Knicks and the Clippers don't look such a good bet to get another big name.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That graph is missing the overall trend line of all championship teams. Eyeballing it, it looks like an average age of 27-28 is the sweet spot and has been since the beginning of the graph. If you assume that most professional athletes reach their peak at about 27 years of age and start declining at around 30, that graph makes a lot of sense. Look at the graph above 29. Not that many championship teams. And the ones that are there (60s Celtics, 90s Bulls, 00s Spurs) are part of dynasties. The "one and done" champions look to be younger teams (younger than 29, closer to 27 and younger).

So what does that say about age and championships? I think it suggests that young teams have an advantage over old teams all else being equal. When "old teams" win championships it's more a function of them being part of a dynasty where the core of that team is just better than everyone else.

If 27 is the age, then I would say that's almost exactly "middle age" for NBA players. If you assume an average entry age of 20, that's seven years into a player's career. At that point, you're likely -- as you say -- as good as you're going to be. Some players are able to hang around until they're about 40, but that's far more the exception than the rule.

I think "young" in the NBA captures 20-24, whereas 27 or so is the sweet spot.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That graph is missing the overall trend line of all championship teams. Eyeballing it, it looks like an average age of 27-28 is the sweet spot and has been since the beginning of the graph. If you assume that most professional athletes reach their peak at about 27 years of age and start declining at around 30, that graph makes a lot of sense. Look at the graph above 29. Not that many championship teams. And the ones that are there (60s Celtics, 90s Bulls, 00s Spurs) are part of dynasties. The "one and done" champions look to be younger teams (younger than 29, closer to 27 and younger).

So what does that say about age and championships? I think it suggests that young teams have an advantage over old teams all else being equal. When "old teams" win championships it's more a function of them being part of a dynasty where the core of that team is just better than everyone else.

If 27 is the age, then I would say that's almost exactly "middle age" for NBA players. If you assume an average entry age of 20, that's seven years into a player's career. At that point, you're likely -- as you say -- as good as you're going to be. Some players are able to hang around until they're about 40, but that's far more the exception than the rule.

I think "young" in the NBA captures 20-24, whereas 27 or so is the sweet spot.

And as fate would have it, that's exactly how long it took Michael Jordan to win his first title...seven seasons. And if my math is right, he was 28 at the time.

Excellent analysis there. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Are these Miami/Chicago refs going to even TRY to hide all the blown calls? I've never seen a game officiated this poorly.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The Bulls couldn't throw a rock in the ocean tonight. Shot after shot missed, turnovers, missed free throws, etc. LeBron hit some big shots down the stretch. The Trinity of Evil take game 2.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Are these Miami/Chicago refs going to even TRY to hide all the blown calls? I've never seen a game officiated this poorly.

Don't worry, it was just one "rogue" official.

I was really hoping to see Chicago go up 2-0 in this series, but unfortunately their play couldn't overcome some bad calls.

I despise the Heat as much as the next guy, but I think they'll win in 6. It'll probably be a rematch of the 2006 Finals. Mavericks-Heat. I think I'll just go puke now.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

In the 4th quarter, there were 24 points scored. TOTAL. I might be spoiled being a Knicks fan, but that's terrible offense.

No, it was just as ugly as Game 7 was between the Lakers and Celtics last year. Some might say good defense, I say :censored: ty quality of basketball.

In the 4th quarter, there were 24 points scored. TOTAL. I might be spoiled being a Knicks fan, but that's terrible offense.

Spoiled? You realize the knicks arent playing right now, right? Theres a reason. Its called defense.

Ugly ugly ugly game for the Bulls. Rose was honestly terrible, probably his worst game of the season. The calls seemed pretty awful from a Bulls fan's perspective. Lebron gets a whistle every step he takes. Does ayone else feel the ame way about this game or am I just incredibly biased? Ugh, 1-1, best of 5 now

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Spoiled? You realize the knicks arent playing right now, right? Theres a reason. Its called defense.

Ugly ugly ugly game for the Bulls. Rose was honestly terrible, probably his worst game of the season. The calls seemed pretty awful from a Bulls fan's perspective. Lebron gets a whistle every step he takes. Does ayone else feel the ame way about this game or am I just incredibly biased? Ugh, 1-1, best of 5 now

I agree with you on both accounts.

IMO the best and most critical NBA games or periods are low scoring. It's not " :censored:ty basketball", it's called teams clamping down defensively. And personally I think it's much more enjoyable to watch than guys just standing around letting the other team score.

And yes, Lebron gets calls. I'm no Bulls fan, but I feel he got some help from the refs tonight.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I meant spoiled as in win or lose, there will be points scored in a Knicks game. It wasn't good defense, it was just terrible shooting.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

If the refs were rigging the game for the Heat, they sure did an awful job, since the Bulls shot more free throws.

Go Heat! Can't wait to see all the Cleveland homers and bandwagon Heat-haters cry.

I dont know if youre referring to my post specifically, but I never claimed the refs were rigging the game for the Heat.

Remember, its not a referees job to distribute free throws evenly, its about calling the correct fouls. Free throw discrepancy doesnt actually mean as much about a refs involvement in a game as you might think. I saw a lot of phantom calls. Thats all I'm saying

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I doubt you'll find many who thought that Game 7 between the Lakers and Celtics (other than Laker fans) was a good game to watch. Regardless of outcome, it was absolutely an ugly brand of basketball to watch. A game doesn't need to be 112-110 to be a good game, but a defensive game where both teams can barely score is often a tough one to watch.

I agree with you on both accounts.

IMO the best and most critical NBA games or periods are low scoring. It's not " :censored:ty basketball", it's called teams clamping down defensively. And personally I think it's much more enjoyable to watch than guys just standing around letting the other team score.

And yes, Lebron gets calls. I'm no Bulls fan, but I feel he got some help from the refs tonight.

I'm more along the lines that tonight was just a poorly officiated game on both sides.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived