Barons

chickenfish13

Hey Guys. I'm beginning a concept for a team named the Barons, and for now am going with a lion to represent this. I've got the rough beginnings on an idea I have, but need your guys' help. Which outer shape do you feel works better? I kind of like the wavy one, but don't think it's where I want it to be right now. Also not so sure on how I've done the face, really any help would be much appreciated. Do you think a lion works for the name Barons?

Thanks Guys

lionsbarons.png

Baron is a title of nobility. The word baron comes from Old French baron, itself from Old High German and Latin (liber) baro meaning "(free) man, (free) warrior"; it merged with cognate Old English '''' meaning "nobleman."

by the definition i couldnt imagine a better animal mascot.

what sport is this for? pro, semi pro, collegiate?

what city/state?

both could work depending on what they are intended for. i see the left one as more stable, respectable. would be good for a soccer club. the right one being rough around the edges could work for football

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I would almost go the route of the Cleveland Barons of the AHL and give your lion a top hat and monocle. Right now I'm getting a Manchester Monarchs vibe.

Oh, and #2 for sure.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I like the 2nd, wavy looks more like a lion. The 1st kinda just looks like a shield with a cat head in it. But, chickenfish, I've been a big fan of your work and just made an account to upload my MLB concepts so I just wanna say your awesome! lol

Sig.jpg

Looking really good so far. I say you combine the 2 logos. Take the symmetry of the first one and combine it with the flowing hair of the second one. Nice likeness of a lion and nice color combo.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

You've got a great foundation there, the second lion being the one I would go with personally. The face has such nice curves, I'd stick with that idea with the wavy mane. However, since the face has such nice symmetry, I think the mane should mirror this. The left side of the mane works really well, being a little more exaggerated, to go with the stoic face. I would take the left side & mirror it creating the right side. Again just my opinion.

If this is for a real team, make sure you keep the number of colors to a minimum, and so it works in black and white, or 1 color only. Makes screen printing loads easier.

One other thing, see what the crown looks like without the 3 balls on top, just the points. I think the balls makes it a tad cartoony, which as of now its so regal and charismatic, try to stay along those lines. I absolutely cannot wait to see how this progresses.

Thanks for the feedback guys. CS, do you mean the left side to the viewer, or the lion's left side?

edit

editing this with an update. I've been updating since the first round of feedback, but wanted to take your guys' feedback into account as well. What do you guys think of the crown now? Do you feel if it's only half there like that, the face should be like that as well? Would a full crown work better? Also, do you think pupils are needed?

Thanks

baronss.png

Hey Guys. I'm beginning a concept for a team named the Barons, and for now am going with a lion to represent this. I've got the rough beginnings on an idea I have, but need your guys' help. Which outer shape do you feel works better? I kind of like the wavy one, but don't think it's where I want it to be right now. Also not so sure on how I've done the face, really any help would be much appreciated. Do you think a lion works for the name Barons?

Thanks Guys

lionsbarons.png

Use the 2nd one and try the outline diamond type shape as a border?

BTW very nicely done with the mane.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

the new eyes are a step in the right direction. It doesnt look sad anymore. I dont think pupils are needed. It wouldnt match the style of the rest of the logo, although I could be wrong on that. Youre right about the crown, if it has shading on the right side, so should the face, but I think the face you have looks good as is, so I'd say to get rid of the crown shading. Maybe try adding some hair highlights. Not too many but just a few to spice it up. What you have now is very solid, but the hair seems plain..

baronss.png

I think this looks pretty good. But I do feel that if you use that half-shadow on the crown, then you need to do something similar for the rest. Also, it seems like the mane should start to get thinner (almost taper) toward the bottom, beneath the chin. Right now, those two large, outward-pointing triangular swoops seem odd to me. But I think you've nailed the forms on the face and this is really coming together, keep working at it.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

CF, I think your second design (the one on the right) in the first post is absolutely excellent. I love the asymmetrical mane and the more 'mournful,' yet proud-looking, eyes. (Not to mention they're further set apart and more realistic.) The update is too symmetrical for my taste. The eyes being 'meaner' like they are in the update make this concept look contemporary. I think several years down the road, they'd look somewhat dated (like many logos being designed now). The original had a sort of timelessness or at least a retro-but-still-relevant feel.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Dgnmrwrw, I can kinda see what your saying about the mane, it does look a little off now that you mention it. Ted, thanks for the kind words, I still haven't heard from the client so I'm not sure which he'll like better.

And Davidson thanks, that means a lot coming from you.

Alright, quick update here. I slightly changed the bottom of the mane, but It might not be too noticeable as it was just some tweaking. Went back to the full crown as well. Do you think there needs to be symmetry in the beard/chin hair? It would make sense with the rest of the logo, but I like how it slightly throws things off, which Is kinda weird I guess.

baronsss.png

Archived