Astros

cyandlux

The 94-99 set was one of the worst looks in baseball ever! Of course the worst look in baseball was the Milwaukee Brewers "beer" logo uniforms of the 90's and the current Diamondback uniforms.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 94-99 set was one of the worst looks in baseball ever! Of course the worst look in baseball was the Milwaukee Brewers "beer" logo uniforms of the 90's and the current Diamondback uniforms.

Those are some harsh accusations to make for some pretty bland uniforms. I fail to see how these uniforms:

Caminiti5.jpg

3441462031_7e485cd984.jpg

Are worse than:

10-houston-astros.jpg

gal_uniforms_devilrays_2.jpg

white-sox-shorts1.jpg

mlb_g_gossage_576.jpg

gal_uniforms_padres.jpg

...Not even close. But I do think the 94 Brewers logo should incite anger on most reasonable people.

Here's an idea.

Deep dark (and I mean real dark) purple, orange, and an electric blue

Branded in a sort of 1960s airstream Jetsons- type style.

That's an interesting idea. Googie baseball. Surprised the Angels never thought of it.

*ahem* :P

Those are some harsh accusations to make for some pretty bland uniforms. I fail to see how these uniforms:

Caminiti5.jpg

3441462031_7e485cd984.jpg

Are worse than:

10-houston-astros.jpg

gal_uniforms_devilrays_2.jpg

white-sox-shorts1.jpg

mlb_g_gossage_576.jpg

gal_uniforms_padres.jpg

...Not even close. But I do think the 94 Brewers logo should incite anger on most reasonable people.

People are nostalgic for stuff from when they were a kid. The retro uniforms shown were all crap.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

This topic was briefly touched on in the 2011-2012 MLB thread, but it seems relevant enough to have deserved it's own discussion.

I think it's the biggest lock in the world that they'll change uniforms in 2013 just because the current set is so tied to McLane. But they really can't go back and retheme the team identity too much because they've tied themselves to the "retro-style ballpark" look, and there's no reason to believe the new ownership will come in and pay to retheme the ballpark.

Honestly, their current set is fine, but if they recolor it to the original navy/orange/cream, it would be fine. My only problem is with how they use the current set: wear the damn greys for nearly all the road games, not just daytime road games (that's the new rule they are using this year).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

As long as the pinstrips get dropped, I'll be happy.

I really like the dark blue of the 90's set as it has a deeper look than the flat black of the early 00's. The brick hats, jerseys, and whites with brick lettering all look great. However, I would like to see them pushed more towards orange. No need to go totally retro with the colors. Maybe something that can be a nod but that is simply awesome on its own.

Can someone blow on a counch and summon Colorwerx? I'd like to see how the colors stack up against each other. I also would like to see the old orange with the 90's blue.

Seriously? That logo was, at the very least, solid. Not overly great, but certainly not even close to the worst in baseball history. And I know for a fact that at least a couple Brewers fans (myself included) consider the tweaked version of those unis (the ones with the singular M on the cap with less green) to be the best the team has ever looked. I would advocate a return to those if I thought there was a chance in hell that the Brewers administration would ever actually consider it.

nl_1998_milwaukee.gif

It is being discussed in this other thread, but since we're discussing it here, I'll repeat what I said in the other thread. A slight modernization of this uniform (perhaps redoing the shooting star somehow) would make my year:

nl_1971_houston.gif

The blue version was great, but the orange set the Astros apart from all other teams. There are (and always have been) too many navy teams.

I would love to see this set full time. And, with this, they could bring back the rainbow striped jersey on a limited bases. Couple times a year which would be just enough.

Seriously? That logo was, at the very least, solid. Not overly great, but certainly not even close to the worst in baseball history. And I know for a fact that at least a couple Brewers fans (myself included) consider the tweaked version of those unis (the ones with the singular M on the cap with less green) to be the best the team has ever looked. I would advocate a return to those if I thought there was a chance in hell that the Brewers administration would ever actually consider it.

nl_1998_milwaukee.gif

Agreed. Maybe ditch the green, it seems to 90's now. But with the navy and gold, this was their best look.

And those 3 sets that oddball referred to as the "worst", IMO, are the best look for each of those teams.

As long as the pinstrips get dropped, I'll be happy.

I really like the dark blue of the 90's set as it has a deeper look than the flat black of the early 00's. The brick hats, jerseys, and whites with brick lettering all look great. However, I would like to see them pushed more towards orange. No need to go totally retro with the colors. Maybe something that can be a nod but that is simply awesome on its own.

Can someone blow on a counch and summon Colorwerx? I'd like to see how the colors stack up against each other. I also would like to see the old orange with the 90's blue.

How about something like this - an even darker shade of Navy than was previously used, combined with a Burnt Orange, and the Sand that's used in the current set:

HoustonAstros_PF2_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I was going to ask if the Astros could use burnt orange in their color scheme and it seems like they already have. Thanks ColorWerks. Although the Longhorns burnt orange is definetly darker. The red/rust color they use now seems closer to burnt orange than the one Donovan just posted. Yes I am fishing.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I was going to ask if the Astros could use burnt orange in their color scheme and it seems like they already have. Thanks ColorWerks. Although the Longhorns burnt orange is definetly darker. The red/rust color they use now seems closer to burnt orange than the one Donovan just posted. Yes I am fishing.

Comparison:

HoustonAstrosBrick_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> HoustonAstrosPropOrange_9999_SOL_SRGB.png <---> HoustonAstrosOrange_1988_SOL_SRGB.png

And for good measure:

TexasUOf-AustinOrange_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Yes! That looks great. I may have to use those in a concept just to see how sand plays with the blue and orange.

As for UT burnt orange, it wouldn't go over too well with all the Texas A&M supporters within the Astros fanbase. Heck, I know a woman who commutes from College Station to Houston each day. One would think, "Man, that seems dumb," but you have to understand she is an Aggie.

Yes! That looks great. I may have to use those in a concept just to see how sand plays with the blue and orange.

As for UT burnt orange, it wouldn't go over too well with all the Texas A&M supporters within the Astros fanbase. Heck, I know a woman who commutes from College Station to Houston each day. One would think, "Man, that seems dumb," but you have to understand she is an Aggie.

Yeah...they might not want to call it "Burnt Orange". Maybe just Orange, or Terracotta, or something else...

Archived