Astros

cyandlux

10-houston-astros.jpg

:grin: Go ahead... try to pretend this picture doesn't make you happy. Whatever you say I won't believe you.

Yeah, had those come out in the '00s or were a more recent design, I probably wouldn't have liked them at all, but just b/c they're so old and sorta tied into my childhood [i believe they were already gone or were being phased out when I was getting into baseball, so most of my early memories of them were via baseball cards] I have a soft spot for them. I still think that "H Star" hat logo is the best they've had.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! That looks great. I may have to use those in a concept just to see how sand plays with the blue and orange.

As for UT burnt orange, it wouldn't go over too well with all the Texas A&M supporters within the Astros fanbase. Heck, I know a woman who commutes from College Station to Houston each day. One would think, "Man, that seems dumb," but you have to understand she is an Aggie.

Yeah...they might not want to call it "Burnt Orange". Maybe just Orange, or Terracotta, or something else...

definitely gonna need to pass on calling it burnt orange. Got no problem with the past oranges the stros use, just avoid the burnt orange ;)

Speaking of Ags support for the Astros. Coming up soon will be Aggie Night at Minute Maid Park. They will be passing out Maroon astros caps to the first 1000 fans. I'm sure there will be a corresponding UT night in the following weeks. So perhaps we'll get to see a real life version of the current astros hat in burnt orange.

aggie_hat_320x240.jpg

Since we're shamelessly plugging old concepts, I thought I'd throw my Astros one from about a year ago into the mix. (I've done very few concepts ever, so I wouldn't mind a few extra people seeing it.)

It's not rendered nearly as well as the others, but hopefully it'll give you the general feeling for what I'm going for. 80's colors but without the rainbow, and a mix of some current and traditional elements.

Astros concept

mlb_g_gossage_576.jpg

This is the greatest uniform of all-time.

I have to say, honestly, the colors/striping remind me of the Kirk McLean/Trevor Linden era Vancouver Canucks colors, which I do like.

UJ

Those were nice. Just having that bright yellow helps a lot in punching up the look. Current look is just so drab. San Diego is not a drab place.

Odd thought, but could Texas A&M maroon and Texas burnt orange, be a good pairing.

ACC+Football+Championship+Boston+College+v+RDeiAS7686jl.jpg

Maybe so...

Not a bad thought. It would certainly be unique. I quite liked the Navy/Metallic Gold Astros look, as well as the toned-down rainbow look of the 1980s.

What about a Navy/Metallic Gold/Orange look?

And since we're throwing out concepts, here's another couple ideas:

Brick Red/Slate Gray/Orange, from my paint days:

3064756559_ba79fcbdf7.jpg

Looks futuristic enough and dips into the team's history, with the orange.

Also, my Inkscape concept of Orange/Navy/Brown:

3663272409_7ccbb08e60.jpg

Logos:

3664074836_cd52daceb5.jpg

Again, keeping some form of Texas rustic-ness by using brown while mostly reverting to the Orange/Navy look of years past.

Archived