My Logos for Midwest

JTernup

My gf's parents own a company called midwest... they have a very dated wordmark and I thought it would be a good idea to try to work something up for them, Purple and Pink are kind of their colors they don't really have colors. I would be doing this for free (I'm not a pro) and just for the fun of it and having a business use my logo. These are just my initial ideas and i especially like the bottom 3 the most C&C Welcome

-KCCF

path3823MidWestLogoConcepts.png

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

It is a landscaping supply company and I know that they look kind of dated most of it is the colors and I am definately trying to push new colors but it isn'y really up to me. These are also just my first ideas nowhere near final products. Thanks

The idea just isn't working, and the execution is not helping at all. The all lowercase technique is very corporate or 90s alternative-looking. Doesn't fit a classic mom and pop operation like this. The color are horrendous, but if you have to make them work, then there's not much you can do. If you are going to go green and brown, your green should be a little lighter and your brown a little darker, and they should both be a little closer to neutral. Overall, I think you need to be a little bit bolder, a little more classy/refined and a little bit more outdoorsy. Kill the outlines, also. You'll look nicer in solid color. I think your bottom right icon has potential if you turn it right side up so it forms an evergreen tree. The MW will become a subtle point of discovery that way.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The tree was my idea originally but they don't sell trees and I kind of forgot that when designing it so I turned it to the right/west I am still planning on making some softer logos but the sharpness was supposed to represent rocks. Do you guys think the whole tree idea would work for a landscape materials company who doesn't actually sell trees or is that misleading?

simplify, simplify. lose the colors - pick something basic and stay with it - http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/rating?time=30 <- pick some colors from here maybe for inspiration. lose the lightning bolt font and 90's colors, this is a business after all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

For a business that cathers to landscapers, teh "mountain-like" shapes work.

And I don't mind the brown/green scheme.

(Maybe brighter green)

And I think it could work like this:

midwestlogoconcept2.png

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I'll try that, the way I look at landscape supply companies I really like the sharpness. That is a great look I just couldn't get around to doing that myself. I'm still interested in hearing what people think about using the mom and pop look on a landscape company, I just can't imagine it being the right "BRAND" for that type of company.

I'll try that, the way I look at landscape supply companies I really like the sharpness. That is a great look I just couldn't get around to doing that myself. I'm still interested in hearing what people think about using the mom and pop look on a landscape company, I just can't imagine it being the right "BRAND" for that type of company.

Keep researching...

Look at competitors...

Make sure it's unique enough to be "differentiated". (i.e.: not too similar to Midwest Landscape Inc.)

From what I see they're a retailer, not a professional services/contractor, likely fighting more with Lowe's and Home Depot, 2 very distinct very simple images companies.

and p.s.: PLEASE make sure they take down that AWFUL Microsoft Designed WORDMARK on their website...

@Frenchie_TO

Updated with new ideas from Frenchie

UprightTreeGB.png

p.s. Frenchie now you see why I told them I would design them a logo.

Updated with new ideas from Frenchie

UprightTreeGB.png

p.s. Frenchie now you see why I told them I would design them a logo.

That's too much lumber vs. rocks, slate, sand and dirt...

@Frenchie_TO

Sorry to keep posting I just really want to make this perfect. I think these newer logos are miles ahead of what I had originally posted, I believe that with a little tweaking and time these could be a great design for the company

SidewaysTreeGB.png

I now feel that the sideways tree better represents the company, it actually reads "MW" it shows a tree but it isn't super obvious and the direction of it points to the west which is part of their name. To me it seems pretty complete but the professional eyes of many of those that have posted have really helped out.

Thank You

KCCF

If you're looking for "Professional eyes" then I'll shut up, cos I'm no pro... I'm more of a schmo with an opinion ;)

Look what I did:

mw3c.png

I know the angular look is not very moder, but we're not sellin PDAs or iPads, here, this is Fred Flinstone's Bedrock material...

You guys are located in the Rockies, it has to have some angular look to it...

@Frenchie_TO

Sorry to keep posting I just really want to make this perfect. I think these newer logos are miles ahead of what I had originally posted, I believe that with a little tweaking and time these could be a great design for the company

SidewaysTreeGB.png

I now feel that the sideways tree better represents the company, it actually reads "MW" it shows a tree but it isn't super obvious and the direction of it points to the west which is part of their name. To me it seems pretty complete but the professional eyes of many of those that have posted have really helped out.

Thank You

KCCF

I'll eat my words from my first post. A simple color change and this logo is turning into something that is totally viable as a landscape logo. I love the MW and the arrow/tree concept. Work on straightening out your lines so they're flat and parallel, and play around with fonts, I don't think you have the right one yet. Great update though!

SidewaysTreeGB.png

Right now the "tree/arrow" thing is confusing.

It's supposed to represent the letters "M" and "W." But the workmark reads Midwest Materials, or essentially "M.M."

Shuffle the wordmark up a little bit so you get distinction between the Mid and West portions. Something like this:

-MidWest-

Materials

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived