2011-12 European football thread

Viper

I would say Champions League. Probably the hardest tournament to win in the world, especially after you get out of the Group Stage. Much better overall talent, and to be crowned the champion of an entire continent is pretty big.

I would tend to agree, it's just the huge disparity as far as how both teams did in the Premier League season.

Of course, having a chance at the Champions League cup, I'm guessing Chelsea didn't place as much stock in their domestic league games as compares to the UEFA games, or am I totally off the mark?

Please tell me if I am. I'm much more familiar with national soccer, since I watch the World Cup and Euro championships. Club soccer just doesn't register enough, and the standings and the relations to domestic vs. UEFA competition always baffles me. Would it be fair to say Chelsea could win the Champions League despite being a strongly inferior team to the Premier League champions?

spacer.png

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say Champions League. Probably the hardest tournament to win in the world, especially after you get out of the Group Stage. Much better overall talent, and to be crowned the champion of an entire continent is pretty big.

Would it be fair to say Chelsea could win the Champions League despite being a strongly inferior team to the Premier League champions?

Considering the fact that the current Premier League champions failed to get past the group stage of the Champions League, I wouldn't say that Chelsea is a "strongly inferior" team. Let's just say that it depends on where a team's priorities are at for the season.

For example: Fulham made a run to the Europa League (the secondary European competition) Final a couple of seasons ago. Now, in the Europa League, Fulham played inspired football, and looked like worldbeaters while doing so (They really were, they beat Juventus over a 2-legged aggregate on their way to the Final.) Meanwhile, in their Premier League campaign, you could've asked anybody in that club whether or not they cared about the Premier League, and the answer probably would've been "Well, since we're safe from relegation, HELL NO."

I'd imagine Chelsea are in the same boat. If they took an early exit from Champions League, I'm sure that their priorities would've switched from winning trophies in the FA Cup & possibly the Champions League to procuring another Top 4 finish to guarantee themselves more Champions League football. But as soon as they got deep into the Knockout Stage, I'm pretty sure Chelsea just said "Screw the Premier League, let's go to Munich and get this damn trophy."

So yeah, the 2nd sentence in your post is probably the most correct way to go about this: I'm not gonna say that Chelsea flat out threw their domestic games, but they weren't treating them like they did Champions League games.

One thing to consider in the domestic vs Champions League debate, Chelsea sacked their manager whilst still in the Champions League, because of poor league form. Now partly that is because they risked not being in the Champions League next season (and still do!) but it does show that the domestic leagues are still important.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

One thing to consider in the domestic vs Champions League debate, Chelsea sacked their manager whilst still in the Champions League, because of poor league form. Now partly that is because they risked not being in the Champions League next season (and still do!) but it does show that the domestic leagues are still important.

Well, thay also looked on the way out in the Champion League at th time

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Chelsea hasn't even sustained any pressure in the Bayern end. I just want Arjen Robben to stay healthy, and for Chelsea to join us in the Europa League :P

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Ryan Bertrand with his CL debut today! :shocked:

If I heard correctly, first time in 30 years a player's made his European Cup / Champions League debut in the Final. Last would've been Nigel Spink with Aston Villa coming on for Jimmy Rimmer after an early injury to the Villa 'keeper.

6fQjS3M.png

Chelsea hasn't even sustained any pressure in the Bayern end. I just want Arjen Robben to stay healthy, and for Chelsea to join us in the Europa League :P

Bayern has really been ALL OVER Chelsea. Quite the miracle that we're still level at zeros. Corners are something like 14-0 for Bayern. It's just controlled pressure all throughout the box.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Bayern finally breaks through. Cross over the box, header into the ground, bounces up over Cech, bar down and in. 1-0 in the 83rd.

Immediately calls for Chelsea subs.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived