Padres Uniforms - Nick Canepa column (San Diego Union Tribune)

larrypep

I think what the 1936 uniform has to offer is a really nice wordmark for the road jerseys.

4d8ea872cf641.image.jpg

Clear and classic, yet very distinctive.

I love how 3 of the guys in that first photo of the Padres still have "Hollywood" on their jerseys because the move was so last minute.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interlocking SD, or Swingin' Friar?

Not sure of the exact change, but that is part of other changes they are making. There are a good number of teams making major and minor changes throughout the league. Should be fun.

Where do you get your information?

Interlocking SD, or Swingin' Friar?

Not sure of the exact change, but that is part of other changes they are making. There are a good number of teams making major and minor changes throughout the league. Should be fun.

Where do you get your information?

I'd be interested in knowing too. Sounds very certain for someone who doesn't know of the "exact change".

No disrespect intended though, just sounds like strong speculation, like the rest of us.

I was never a fan all that much of the Padres late 80's to mid 90's brown pinstriped look, but the more I look back at it, the more it becomes the best look for the Padres and they should return to that look. The numbers were good and everything about that set was good. It was original, and they completely killed their look as soon as they went to navy blue.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Showtime is one of our CCSLC insiders that drops in and confirms the changes to come without actually leaking it. I trust that what he's saying is accurate.

As for the Padres, I like the jersey Gothamite trots out in these threads regularly. Always like seeing it, because it shows that brown and gold can be done without the overkill of the '70s and '80s set.

If they don't go with that, then I also am a fan of the late '80s look. I love the brown and orange, especially the brownish roads with pinstripes. (Two guilty pleasures in one -- road pinstripes and non-gray road.) Love those caps and considered buying one often. Probably the reason to this day I think brown and red would look great for the Cubs (and agree with whoever proposes it here for the Indians - admiral?)

Anyway, brown can be done well, and ultimately, San Diego should be the one to do it. The Padres could own it.

EDIT: On a side note MLB Network just showed Orlando Hudson getting injured, and the Padres and Mariners are both wearing '80s throwbacks. 1984 road browns for the Pads.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Showtime is one of our CCSLC insiders that drops in and confirms the changes to come without actually leaking it. I trust that what he's saying is accurate.

As for the Padres, I like the jersey Gothamite trots out in these threads regularly. Always like seeing it, because it shows that brown and gold can be done without the overkill of the '70s and '80s set.

If they don't go with that, then I also am a fan of the late '80s look. I love the brown and orange, especially the brownish roads with pinstripes. (Two guilty pleasures in one -- road pinstripes and non-gray road.) Love those caps and considered buying one often. Probably the reason to this day I think brown and red would look great for the Cubs (and agree with whoever proposes it here for the Indians - admiral?)

Anyway, brown can be done well, and ultimately, San Diego should be the one to do it. The Padres could own it.

EDIT: On a side note MLB Network just showed Orlando Hudson getting injured, and the Padres and Mariners are both wearing '80s throwbacks. 1984 road browns for the Pads.

Well if he's an insider, I apologize for questioning him. Just wanted to know his sources, please accept my apologies Showtime.

The Padres look like they're wearing pullovers so it would technically be the 1981-1983 road uniforms.

Well if he's an insider, I apologize for questioning him. Just wanted to know his sources, please accept my apologies Showtime.

The Padres look like they're wearing pullovers so it would technically be the 1981-1983 road uniforms.

Whatever they are specifically they make me want to gouge my eyes out with a wooden spoon.

Whatever they are specifically they make me want to gouge my eyes out with a wooden spoon.

Little dramatic, but yeah, we get it - you hate the colors :)

I still think the 2004 set could have been something special with a few tweaks here and there. Navy/sky/sand was a perfect color scheme. San Diego should look contemporary. None of this Taco Bell stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Little dramatic, but yeah, we get it - you hate the colors :)

Well somebody who'd actually have to live with the monstrosities you guys keep suggesting has to keep it in perspective for you guys ;)

The admiral said is best. The kit they have now is a great kit for the real world.

I'd be interested in knowing too. Sounds very certain for someone who doesn't know of the "exact change".

No disrespect intended though, just sounds like strong speculation, like the rest of us.

Well, that isn't how it works. At this point, you know what is being changed, but not what the specific change is.

For instance, a hypothetical:

Canucks are changing their home uniform, logo, and secondary logo. You know that much, but you wouldn't have seen the new logo or uniforms...yet.

I understand why it might be considered speculation. Not a problem.

You are not mistaken. Thanks.

I've mentioned changes on the board in the past, it wouldn't be smart of me to put out sensitive information for multiple reasons.

It's been years but I'm still angling for this.

padresbest.jpg

Basically, yes. Just give the wordmark an update, no drastic changes just a little clean-up, and it would be their best possibility. The home can have a matching Padres mark or even a script. The brown and gold would be unique to them as the Browns use brown and orange. But this set could easily be brought into this time period. Those other monstrosities are so dated in the 70's and 80's. They'd look hideous as an everyday set today.

Archived