College Colors & Nicknames

TruColor

As some of you know, I have been cranking away behind the scenes, getting my College Colors & Nicknames section of ColorWerx.us updated.

I had previously been working through the four-year (U.S.) institutions by state, but common sense took hold, and I went back to just updating alphabetically...so, I've got the four-year schools starting with the letter "A" up:

http://www.colorwerx.us/research/CollegeColorsNicknames/FourYear/A/A.htm

These updated records include enrollment information, hyperlinks to the institutions and athletics' sites, along with school colors and athletics' nicknames.

Any color set that is underlined has a hyperlink to launch a popup window with the infamous color swatch image. All color swatches reflect the official Pantone colors - using the new PANTONE PLUS RGB values. I have not - for the most part - provided estimates for unknown color sets...I prefer to only present the color sets where I have confirmed the actual color values.

I have completed about 80% of the four-year schools, and will continue putting up the remaining letters as I get them completed. Once the four-year schools have been updated, I'll move on to the Canadian schools, and then to the two-year schools.

There will still be many corrections to be made I'm guessing...please feel free to provide feedback, criticisms, questions, etc.

I hate to be the first one to make a suggestion/correction, but the University of Alaska-Anchorage did not become the Seawolves until 1977. Prior to that, UAA teams were known as the Sourdoughs.

http://www.goseawolv...=&ATCLID=748867

http://kasenna.uaa.a...du/~tnl/?p=7667

Thanks - I need those kinds of corrections...if I don't know the starting year for a nickname or color set, I usually pick the founding date. Which is usually the incorrect one.

When will you be taking critiques for colleges that begin with "T"?

Particularly Texas Tech...

When I get "T" updated, I will. The stuff you're seeing up there right now, is REALLY old.

When I get "T" updated, I will. The stuff you're seeing up there right now, is REALLY old.

Ok, just curious. I can help out with most of the Texas schools.

when you get down to the "l" section, there is one thing you could change. the nickname for university of louisville is the fighting cardinals, although the fighting part is rarely used if ever. it is similar to lsu and their nickname which you have listed as the fighting tigers, although the fighting part is rarely used if ever (it was the first time i had ever heard them referred to as the fighting tigers, and i'm in sec territory).

also a question: for the university of louisville i also noticed you have yellow listed as a team color. are you referring to UNIFORM colors or LOGO colors? yellow has not been used on any uniforms since 2006 and it was limited to only the football team in a very minor role of number and "LOUISVILLE" border and for 6-7 years before that. yellow has not been an element on any uniforms before this.

when you get down to the "l" section, there is one thing you could change. the nickname for university of louisville is the fighting cardinals, although the fighting part is rarely used if ever. it is similar to lsu and their nickname which you have listed as the fighting tigers, although the fighting part is rarely used if ever (it was the first time i had ever heard them referred to as the fighting tigers, and i'm in sec territory).

also a question: for the university of louisville i also noticed you have yellow listed as a team color. are you referring to UNIFORM colors or LOGO colors? yellow has not been used on any uniforms since 2006 and it was limited to only the football team in a very minor role of number and "LOUISVILLE" border and for 6-7 years before that. yellow has not been an element on any uniforms before this.

Noted on the U. of Louisville's nickname.

I am now including colors such as the Cardinals' Yellow as an "Additional" color. Not a primary or secondary color, but an additional color that is used in the identity.

I should also note that the vast majority of my color information is coming from identity guides, official logosheets, and the like.

Will you be making periodic updates to this thread so people can chime in with their corrections? My school has changed colors 3 times and nicknames 4 times, so there's a lot of misleading information out there that I'm sure I could help with when you get to W.

Will you be making periodic updates to this thread so people can chime in with their corrections? My school has changed colors 3 times and nicknames 4 times, so there's a lot of misleading information out there that I'm sure I could help with when you get to W.

Sure. I'll keep bumping this thread as sections get updated. I've been cranking away through 'B' today; hopefully, I'll have them up soon.

Arizona State wasn't known as the Sun Devils until 1945, nicknames before that were the Normals, Owls and Bulldogs, don't know the exact years, but I do know these were the nicknames

Alabama wasn't called the Crimson Tide until around 1907, before that they were the Thin Red Line, the Varsity, or the Crimson White

My link

Arizona State wasn't known as the Sun Devils until 1945, nicknames before that were the Normals, Owls and Bulldogs, don't know the exact years, but I do know these were the nicknames

Good. Thank you both. I need these kinds of updates. I default start dates to founding dates, so there's going to be a lot of these kinds of things.

UAB's official colors are green and white with accent in gold. Here is a link to the colors on their website with other colors to be used for marketing and other purposes.....(all the other colors)

http://www.uab.edu/brand/logos/official-colors

I am not sure what the official athletic colors are. I have no reason to feel that your athletic list is wrong, just the institutional colors are off.

BTW, Thank you for all the work you put into this and your contributions to the website. I read here almost daily, much more often than I post, and I am really glad to see when you contribute to a color question, because color is one thing that I enjoy seeing the accuracies and inaccuracies of in various logos.

UAB's official colors are green and white with accent in gold. Here is a link to the colors on their website with other colors to be used for marketing and other purposes.....(all the other colors)

http://www.uab.edu/b...official-colors

I am not sure what the official athletic colors are. I have no reason to feel that your athletic list is wrong, just the institutional colors are off.

BTW, Thank you for all the work you put into this and your contributions to the website. I read here almost daily, much more often than I post, and I am really glad to see when you contribute to a color question, because color is one thing that I enjoy seeing the accuracies and inaccuracies of in various logos.

Yeah - that one's a little complicated. I somehow missed that Gold is still used as an accent color, but those additional institutional colors (which I would categorize as "Supplemental Institutional Colors") are all custom colors. Really frustrating. Since I base my color swatches on existing Pantone values, I would need to add all of those CMYK and HTML values as separate custom colors.

It's complicated, but that's the deal with those.

May I make a suggestion and say that for schools that have individual sports that compete in a higher division, list those sports. For example, you could list Adelphi as being in NCAA Division II (Division I for men's soccer and women's bowling).

Eventually I'll get to adding the individual sports and conferences, but I'm just putting in the athletic affiliation for now.

Nice, I always thought it would be cool to see the famous color swatch for my alma mater (Augsburg). Interesting to see that they went darker for both colors in 2002. Guess I'm lucky to be from an A school, thanks ColorWerx!

Archived