Updating the MLB

evanmaldonado

So I scrapped my NHL series due to lack of interest in doing more hockey concepts, but I wanted to fill the time while i'm taking breaks from my hat project. This series I decided would be a fun way to burn some time, but it had limits. I'm making four jerseys for each team, a home and away, along with alternates for each. So starting it off is the Baltimore Orioles!

Home & Home Alternate:

Home+Uniform.png

Home+Alternate.png

Road & Road Alternate:

Road+Uniform+Two.png

Road+Alternate.png

There wasn't a lot I didn't like with the Orioles as is, but something I really love to see is one road color and one home color. So I made Orange the dominant home color, while Black is the dominant road color. I also love different color brims, so that's been changed as well as the logo, going back to the cartoon bird.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Pretty good start. I'm doing an MLB series right now too and my O's concept shared a lot of similarities to yours. My suggestions would be:

-add orange piping to the home jersey, and either black or orange piping to the road

-Scrap the O's on the black jersey, and go with the Baltimore script. You can still use the O's as a hat. I would suggest having the cartoon bird in black be the hat for this black jersey, and have the O's hat be a once a week alternate hat or something. I think that it would fit with any of the jerseys.

-The candycane pattern on the sleeve of the black jersey is also odd. I would go with solid orange there.

-Establish consistency with the socks and belt color. If you're trying to do orange socks at home and black on the road, I would suggest doing the same with belt color. The orange belt looks odd on the black jersey.

-One more thing, not a big change, but worth pointing out: On the MLB logo, I would reverse the colors. The MLB logo looks odd when the larger region is filled with the brighter color.

Overall this is a very good concept that has a lot of potential. I would say clean it up a bit and you have yourself a great Orioles set! My favorite part about it is the piping on the pants, looks very good.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

As an O's fan, the only real thing I like about this set is the Orange alternate. I think they should definitely get one of those. But have you tried it without the "button" piping? I wonder if it might look better that way.

The "cartoon bird" era is over, and IMO it shouldn't come back. Fans do wear those caps, but it's more of a "retro fashion" thing nowadays. I don't think most Baltimore fans would want to see those return.

I'm not a big fan of an orange-crowned cap, especially as a cap to be worn with a primary jersey. It could see it maybe being used with the alternate jersey. But keep in mind orange is a pretty bright and garish color... I think it would be a big enough step for them just to get the orange jersey.

Personally, I would put Baltimore on the black road alternate. People here LOVE the Baltimore script. It would look totally badass on a black jersey and would sell like crazy. I also don't like the sleeve piping pattern you used, but that's just me. I get that you were trying to be creative, but personally I'm not such a fan of it.

If you want to put "O's" on a jersey chest, I would put it on the orange home alternate, that would look better IMO. I would also at least experiment with removing the white outline on the Orange alternate.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

UPDATE:

I listened to the advice given, making some changes to the uniforms:

Home+Uniform.png

Home+Alternate+Os.png

Road+Uniform.png

Road+Alternate.png

The biggest change involved is the hat, going from the cartoon bird to the modern bird that it currently featured on the hats. I wanted the Orioles to be unique in their usage of orange, so I kept the orange hat around along with the jersey, but decided to put the O logo on it instead of the black (which now has the Baltimore script).

Manchester-City-icon.png

The "cartoon bird" era is over, and IMO it shouldn't come back. Fans do wear those caps, but it's more of a "retro fashion" thing nowadays. I don't think most Baltimore fans would want to see those return.

I agree, even though I love the cartoon bird, I think it works better as a "retro" look and as a secondary or an accent logo. It's all over Oriole Park nowadays, which is cool, but it's too dated for a cap logo. It's like the BiG logo for the Brewers, I think people like it mostly because it goes back to an era where the team was more successful, not cause it's a super-great logo. Enough on that soapbox...

That being said, I think your project could use some extra touches to make it look "Major League." Consider adding shoulder patches, and Majestic or other manufacturer's marks to give it some detail. Shoulder patches or stuff like that are a great place to add some creativity and help distinguish your concept from others.

I also think you could thin the sleeve piping just a little to make it more subtle. Consider thinning the black particularly to make it fit with the wordmark and number on the front. Also, I liked the black stroke around the NoB as well in the original look. I'm a fan of making your names and numbers look alike (I'm looking at you, Dodgers), so I think the stroke is a good touch. Also, the front numbers should probably be a little bigger.

It's a great start, and I always love seeing my Birds on the boards!

Grunge-Logos.png

I agree, even though I love the cartoon bird, I think it works better as a "retro" look and as a secondary or an accent logo. It's all over Oriole Park nowadays, which is cool, but it's too dated for a cap logo. It's like the BiG logo for the Brewers, I think people like it mostly because it goes back to an era where the team was more successful, not cause it's a super-great logo. Enough on that soapbox..

That being said, I think your project could use some extra touches to make it look "Major League." Consider adding shoulder patches, and Majestic or other manufacturer's marks to give it some detail. Shoulder patches or stuff like that are a great place to add some creativity and help distinguish your concept from others.

I also think you could thin the sleeve piping just a little to make it more subtle. Consider thinning the black particularly to make it fit with the wordmark and number on the front. Also, I liked the black stroke around the NoB as well in the original look. I'm a fan of making your names and numbers look alike (I'm looking at you, Dodgers), so I think the stroke is a good touch. Also, the front numbers should probably be a little bigger.

It's a great start, and I always love seeing my Birds on the boards!

While it certainly doesn't hurt that the BiG ties into the Brew Crew's glory years, its popular because its a civic icon that transcends baseball usage (not unlike the Yankees "NY"). When you see people wearing BiG jerseys, they usually have the names and numbers of current players on the back, not guys like Yount and Molitor.

Anyway, I can't really critique the unis, everything here looks pretty good to me.

NO PLEASE GO BACK TO THE CARTOON BIRD! THEIR NEW STUFF IS HIDEOUS! Maybe the realistic bird could go as a shoulder patch. I loved the first concept. Especially how you kept the new script.

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

UPDATE:

I listened to the advice given, making some changes to the uniforms:

Home+Uniform.png

Home+Alternate+Os.png

Road+Uniform.png

Road+Alternate.png

The biggest change involved is the hat, going from the cartoon bird to the modern bird that it currently featured on the hats. I wanted the Orioles to be unique in their usage of orange, so I kept the orange hat around along with the jersey, but decided to put the O logo on it instead of the black (which now has the Baltimore script).

Wow, this update is gorgeous. Great work. By far, the best O's concept I've seen, if not the best concept I've seen overall.

I'm a little iffy about the unoutlined orange name-on-back. I think it could work for the home jersey, but I would at least consider either 1) making the road name-on-back black, 2) making the road and home names-on-back black, or 3) leaving the names-on-back orange but placing a black outline around the names-on back.

I love the update to the orange alternate. But I'm also a little iffy about the piping in the middle, as it does create some inconsistency in the jersey set. However, i do realize that that jersey in particular might look too bland/naked without some sort of piping going on. Still, I would experiment with removing the piping and then making a judgment call.

The Orange O's hat looks great. I see that you put the black hat with the orange jersey, too. But I feel like the orange jersey might look weird with a black cap. I would pair the orange jersey almost exclusively with the orange hat.

The Baltimore script on the black jersey looks great, too. Thanks for doing that. BUT, I (personally) would have them wear the black "O's" cap with that jersey.

Oh, and I love the number font you used, as well as the name-on-back font, too. Definite upgrades on both accounts.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Next up is the Boston Red Sox:

Home & Home Alternate

Home+Uniform.png

Home+Alternate.png

Road & Road Alternate

Road+Uniform+Two.png

Road+Alternate.png

The main change in the uniform is the re-addition of the red hat from the 1970s. I personally love this hat, and it goes well with the first half of the team name; Red. The away uniform now has a red outline to add more color, but that's about it. The red jersey went through minor changes, and the blue jersey now features the Sock logo instead of the Boston script.

Manchester-City-icon.png

I love the return of the red cap. They should embrace red more. Obviously because of their name, but also to distinguish themselves from the Yanks.

No doubt about it. They need to put the RED in RED SOX.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Archived