College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who wishes that Miss State would just bring back the Dontae Walker-era uniforms and be done with it?

lg_walker_ap-01.jpg

Those were some of my favorite uniforms as a kid, especially loved the helmet. I certainly would get behind a return to this, as well as frankly, many of the late 90's/early 2000's NCAA uniforms. Alot of teams seemed to look thier best during that particular era, in my humble opinion.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The "Texas" Category: Teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, and Nebraska. I feel these teams are untouchable. Very minimal changes should be made to these teams (Ex. maybe a single pant stripe instead of double). No alternates should be allowed (maybe, MAYBE different color pants).

Ohio State definitely does not belong.

ohiostate3.jpgi.jpeg

6uXNWAo.png

The "Texas" Category: Teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, and Nebraska. I feel these teams are untouchable. Very minimal changes should be made to these teams (Ex. maybe a single pant stripe instead of double). No alternates should be allowed (maybe, MAYBE different color pants).

ohiostate3.jpgi.jpeg

Why not?

ohiostate3.jpgi.jpeg

Why not?

Any team who goes Pro Combat should automatically be exculded from this category -- it's the "anti-tradition".

6uXNWAo.png

Any team who goes Pro Combat should automatically be exculded from this category -- it's the "anti-tradition".

No, it isn't. It's got no value one way or the other...it depends on the individual programs. You'd have to rename the category, considering there are two OTHER teams that have done Pro Combat uniforms (and, like Ohio State, they were at the very least throwback/heritage inspired.) And also, look at the part I bolded. He said should not be messed with. Not "are not." Nebraska changed theirs when Jammal Lord was there, and then they went back. My understanding of the "Texas" category was a traditional uniform that wouldn't even work when being monkeyed with (as opposed to someone like FSU, who has at the very least worn their uniform since '76 or so, but will often mix and match).

I think UCLA should use the light blue as the numbers on their away. That blue they use now on the away is terrible.

This X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. UCLA needs to have a uni update. I think if Adidas and UCLA were smart, they wold become the Oregon of Adidas. Look, I know UCLA is considered a traditional school, but let's face it, nobody cares about their football team right now. Is it a permanent solution? No, of course not. But even amidst the sanctions, UCLA is still in the shadow of USC, and let's face it, there's no reason for a recruit to choose UCLA over USC, other than the fact that USC has a bowl ban, but that will be up after this year. They desperately need to distinguish themselves from the Trojans. If anything else, UCLA could at least tell recruits that they have cool new uniforms, which, considering how desperate UCLA is right now, is better than nothing. Plus, I'm sick of seeing those stripes being so distorted an hideous. And hey, maybe it will lead to them to play in front of more than a 2/3 full stadium.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think UCLA should use the light blue as the numbers on their away. That blue they use now on the away is terrible.

This X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. UCLA needs to have a uni update. I think if Adidas and UCLA were smart, they wold become the Oregon of Adidas. Look, I know UCLA is considered a traditional school, but let's face it, nobody cares about their football team right now. Is it a permanent solution? No, of course not. But even amidst the sanctions, UCLA is still in the shadow of USC, and let's face it, there's no reason for a recruit to choose UCLA over USC, other than the fact that USC has a bowl ban, but that will be up after this year. They desperately need to distinguish themselves from the Trojans. If anything else, UCLA could at least tell recruits that they have cool new uniforms, which, considering how desperate UCLA is right now, is better than nothing. Plus, I'm sick of seeing those stripes being so distorted an hideous. And hey, maybe it will lead to them to play in front of more than a 2/3 full stadium.

If UCLA doesn't have enough pull as an academic institution, tradition-rich football program that plays at one of the most historic stadiums in the country, etc, then they'd have their priorities wrong to do something like this. "Sure, let's ignore the fact that we've been powder blue and gold for a very long time and go 300 combos style! White helmets, gold jerseys, navy blue pants! Excellent!" That's not the right approach for a tradition based school. It's a temporary fix that follows the way of trends and will be gone within 5 years, at which point they'll either have to update again or just revert to what UCLA football is supposed to look like.

Am I the only one who wishes that Miss State would just bring back the Dontae Walker-era uniforms and be done with it?

lg_walker_ap-01.jpg

Those were some of my favorite uniforms as a kid, especially loved the helmet. I certainly would get behind a return to this, as well as frankly, many of the late 90's/early 2000's NCAA uniforms. Alot of teams seemed to look thier best during that particular era, in my humble opinion.

Definitely agree. The late 90s were the prime years for college football uniforms.

FSU2.gif

If UCLA doesn't have enough pull as an academic institution, tradition-rich football program that plays at one of the most historic stadiums in the country, etc, then they'd have their priorities wrong to do something like this. "Sure, let's ignore the fact that we've been powder blue and gold for a very long time and go 300 combos style! White helmets, gold jerseys, navy blue pants! Excellent!" That's not the right approach for a tradition based school. It's a temporary fix that follows the way of trends and will be gone within 5 years, at which point they'll either have to update again or just revert to what UCLA football is supposed to look like.

Like USC?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Like A&M is to Texas? Like Alabama was to Auburn for like 6 years? Like Michigan has been to MSU for 4 years? These schools have been schooled by their rivals for years and still somehow manage to get by with their traditional looks they've had for decades. What makes UCLA different that they should throw all tradition out the window?

I agree...what ucla needs to do is to step up their game on the field to match their uniforms .

Like A&M is to Texas? Like Alabama was to Auburn for like 6 years? Like Michigan has been to MSU for 4 years? These schools have been schooled by their rivals for years and still somehow manage to get by with their traditional looks they've had for decades. What makes UCLA different that they should throw all tradition out the window?

Because people still care about A&M, Alabama, and Michigan. Those schools are still winning. They have a huge following. They don't need to have a rebranding because there are reason for recruits to go to those schools over their rivals. There are very few reasons for people to go to UCLA when they're offered the same position at USC. Look, I'm not saying they should go the way of Maryland, Oregon (yes, I know I likened what they should do to Oregon, but does not mean they should go quite as far as Oregon), or ASU. But if they did something like Wazzu did (not a lot of combinations, but a unique look), I think they would have at least one thing that separates them from USC. I think emphasizing the blue that they have would be great. A columbia blue, gold, white helmet; Columbia blue, gold and white jerseys; Columbia blue, gold, white pants; all combined with a completely new look would go a long way. Adidas has an opportunity here to take advantage of a programs misfortune in order to give them a flagship program.

Because people still care about A&M, Alabama, and Michigan. Those schools are still winning. They have a huge following. They don't need to have a rebranding because there are reason for recruits to go to those schools over their rivals. There are very few reasons for people to go to UCLA when they're offered the same position at USC. Look, I'm not saying they should go the way of Maryland, Oregon (yes, I know I likened what they should do to Oregon, but does not mean they should go quite as far as Oregon), or ASU. But if they did something like Wazzu did (not a lot of combinations, but a unique look), I think they would have at least one thing that separates them from USC. I think emphasizing the blue that they have would be great. A columbia blue, gold, white helmet; Columbia blue, gold and white jerseys; Columbia blue, gold, white pants; all combined with a completely new look would go a long way. Adidas has an opportunity here to take advantage of a programs misfortune in order to give them a flagship program.

I understand your position that a rebrand could lead to a revival of the UCLA program. However, UCLA is and will continue to be viewed as a "traditional" program. They've looked nearly the same for decades on end with very minimal change. You can't go from one end of the spectrum (very traditional) to the other (modern, many combos). If they wanted to get serious about reviving the program, why don't they do it the right way, instead of going the route of the "easy cop out" new uniforms? Why throw decades of tradition out the window for some uniform model that will be outdated in 5 years? Instead, if they wanted to be serious contenders, how about updating facilities to world class standards? Funneling money into the athletic department and going after top notch coaches? Providing incentives to boosters to increase donations? Actually making your on-field product better to draw recruits? It's not like they've been sucked into some irreversible downfall of failure. They have plenty of options for making their program better, but new uniforms don't necessarily equal success. Long held tradition sells just as well (if not better) than modern trend flair.

I understand your position that a rebrand could lead to a revival of the UCLA program. However, UCLA is and will continue to be viewed as a "traditional" program. They've looked nearly the same for decades on end with very minimal change. You can't go from one end of the spectrum (very traditional) to the other (modern, many combos). If they wanted to get serious about reviving the program, why don't they do it the right way, instead of going the route of the "easy cop out" new uniforms? Why throw decades of tradition out the window for some uniform model that will be outdated in 5 years? Instead, if they wanted to be serious contenders, how about updating facilities to world class standards? Funneling money into the athletic department and going after top notch coaches? Providing incentives to boosters to increase donations? Actually making your on-field product better to draw recruits? It's not like they've been sucked into some irreversible downfall of failure. They have plenty of options for making their program better, but new uniforms don't necessarily equal success. Long held tradition sells just as well (if not better) than modern trend flair.

You say that as if every team can do it. News flash, they ARE trying to get these things. You think they're trying to suck? It's not a matter of flipping a switch and magically becoming a world class program. They DID try to hire the best coaches they could. They ARE trying get world class facilities. The money just isn't there. This is why they need to make a deal with Adidas like that. Is it like selling your soul to the devil? Yes. Is it a permanent solution? No. But it could lead to all these things. And tradition only stands up if that tradition is associated with winning. UCLA's uniforms are right now associated with mediocrity. If anything, I would think the fans would WANT to see it happen. Anything to make them forget the failed Rick Neuheisal era.

Of the 7 teams mentioned to be in the "Texas" category, 5 of them have worn Pro Combat or adidas "Under the Lights" uniforms

This. Plus these were just my personal opinions, IMO Ohio State shouldn't keep signing on to the Pro Combats.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

OK, so this is complete rumor with no evidence to back it up, but I heard that Northwestern's helmets will be yellow.... take that for what you will.

Archived