College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

Wow...all the way to midseason before another Oregon-related colour/identity thread derail/meltdown...I'm actually sorta impressed sorta...

Well, we both know where each stands and I am done. Let's get back on target, as far as Maryland, I really like their all red uniforms, but they would have looked better with a logo on the helmet.

spacer.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...all the way to midseason before another Oregon-related colour/identity thread derail/meltdown...I'm actually sorta impressed sorta...

My apologies.

Anyway I like those Sam Houston camo unis. Using school colours for the pattern keeps it from looking to military while still getting the point across.

Also, your avatar will haunt my dreams.

Did I see someone survey 44 students in a class and think that is a valid argument? Let's call a spade a spade and say that 90% of the people who answered the question answered it to satisfy you because they don't give a damn about Oregon or their uniforms and they could get back to doing what they were doing without you spouting off about something they consider insignificant.

Did I see someone survey 44 students in a class and think that is a valid argument? Let's call a spade a spade and say that 90% of the people who answered the question answered it to satisfy you because they don't give a damn about Oregon or their uniforms and they could get back to doing what they were doing without you spouting off about something they consider insignificant.

When the two people arguing have made their peace it usually signifies that the situation is dead. So let it go.

spacer.png

After reading everyone's arguments about Oregon using non-school colors, i feel that they have a really strong brand and identity for a few reasons, and would just like to throw my feelings out there.

1) The may use a popular Nike template but the wings are very original and easily recognizable.

2) When the non school colore they use; when used together do not immediately resemble any college team, they are pretty much unique to oregon.

3)i'm pretty certain their target demographic likes every and any look they put out there and i know that the school has gained popularity based solely on their "wacky/crazy/unique/modern/however you want to describe it" look.

So what i'm trying to say is that a lot of people may not like their new identity but in the grand scheme of things it has turned that program around. Of course Phil Knights money is part of their identity..but still, they get recognized without making a fool of themselves every week like Marylang, so i would consider it a successful identity.

unfortunately they fail at the most important qualifier of being a successful brand in the fact that they are not immediately identifiable...brand and reputation are not the same thing...what they have been successful at is generating more publicity and media coverage for themselves with the assistance of nike.

Are you saying their colors aren't immediately identifiable? Or their jerseys aren't immediately identifiable? Or their whole brand? Because I can pretty easily put together an argument for the second two. And pretty easily put together an argument that the first one doesn't matter. So what was it that you meant?

And I know its kinda annoying to be rehashing this same discussion again. But honestly, from a uniform/design/branding/fashion/sports/CCSLC viewpoint . . . . Oregon's college football uniforms are kind of the most interesting topic of discussion. I actually LIKE reading this discussion (when it doesn't boil down to bickering). Lets let it roll for a little while. Should this maybe have its own thread (finally....)??? Just so the other CFB uni talk doesn't get lost in the Oregon talk?

My apologies.

Anyway I like those Sam Houston camo unis. Using school colours for the pattern keeps it from looking to military while still getting the point across.

Also, your avatar will haunt my dreams.

Agree!

And unlike SOME military themed uni's...these are actually allowed on the field...

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Northwestern will wear alternate uniforms on Saturday:

According to a friend of mine playing for Northwestern, Adidas is planning a surprise uniform for the Wildcats just like they did for Michigan?s game against Michigan State. The uniforms are going to be worn against Penn State this upcoming Saturday, and as of last week the students were still left in the dark at to what they will look like.? ? Uni-watch.com 10/17/11

According to a friend of mine playing for Northwestern, Adidas is planning a surprise uniform for the Wildcats just like they did for Michigan?s game against Michigan State. The uniforms are going to be worn against Penn State this upcoming Saturday, and as of last week the students were still left in the dark at to what they will look like.? ? Uni-watch.com 10/17/11

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they'll wear either this

northwestern-79.gif

or this

northwestern-56-57.gif

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Well, amongst the countless Oregon bickering, I will now put something up that might was missed. A big thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?photoId=1623190&gameId=312880202#photo_1623190

Look at the helmet stripes carefully. Notice anything, pink?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Well, amongst the countless Oregon bickering, I will now put something up that might was missed. A big thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?photoId=1623190&gameId=312880202#photo_1623190

Look at the helmet stripes carefully. Notice anything, pink?

I'm all for it as a one game thing, but after that it's too much. Do you know if they used that throughout October?

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

The Uni Run Down for Week 7

Air Force wore their regular unis, although I think the lightning bolts on the pants is new (although I could be wrong).

15696563_SA.jpg

Mississippi wore White facemasks. By now I'm assuming the matte helmets are a permanent change.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=312880344&photoId=1621798

Wyoming wore White, Brown, Gold

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=312882751&photoId=1621963

USF wore Green,White,Green.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=312880041&photoId=1621921

Boise mono blued @ CSU, perhaps in an attempt to say F U to the MWC.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=312880036&photoId=1622387

Virginia Tech wore all white

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=312880154&photoId=1622541

Vandy did a black out again

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=312880238&photoId=1622986

Well, those were all the ones not previously mentioned. Until next time, stay classy

After reading everyone's arguments about Oregon using non-school colors, i feel that they have a really strong brand and identity for a few reasons, and would just like to throw my feelings out there.

1) The may use a popular Nike template but the wings are very original and easily recognizable.

2) When the non school colore they use; when used together do not immediately resemble any college team, they are pretty much unique to oregon.

3)i'm pretty certain their target demographic likes every and any look they put out there and i know that the school has gained popularity based solely on their "wacky/crazy/unique/modern/however you want to describe it" look.

So what i'm trying to say is that a lot of people may not like their new identity but in the grand scheme of things it has turned that program around. Of course Phil Knights money is part of their identity..but still, they get recognized without making a fool of themselves every week like Marylang, so i would consider it a successful identity.

unfortunately they fail at the most important qualifier of being a successful brand in the fact that they are not immediately identifiable...brand and reputation are not the same thing...what they have been successful at is generating more publicity and media coverage for themselves with the assistance of nike.

Are you saying their colors aren't immediately identifiable? Or their jerseys aren't immediately identifiable? Or their whole brand? Because I can pretty easily put together an argument for the second two. And pretty easily put together an argument that the first one doesn't matter. So what was it that you meant?

And I know its kinda annoying to be rehashing this same discussion again. But honestly, from a uniform/design/branding/fashion/sports/CCSLC viewpoint . . . . Oregon's college football uniforms are kind of the most interesting topic of discussion. I actually LIKE reading this discussion (when it doesn't boil down to bickering). Lets let it roll for a little while. Should this maybe have its own thread (finally....)??? Just so the other CFB uni talk doesn't get lost in the Oregon talk?

I'm saying their identity and brand lacks consistency and focus across the board.

-the "O" and the nike oregon font is basically a ripoff of oakley's late 90's style

-their colors are muddled and inconsistent...adding black and gray in addition to wearing a different color scheme every week does not create an identity...the shade of green also seems to change depending on fabrics and designers' whims

-their jersey designs change too drastically from each design to create a visual identity (compared to say fc barca or ac milan that changes designs almost annually but keeps the same general design flow)

-the wings are the most consistent and unique identifier of the current uniform set but their prominence varies across the jersey color spectrum (barely visible on the gray/volt version) and were removed from the puddles version.

-the best element from the nike redesign over 10 years ago was the truly unique shade of green helmet that they unveiled (despite the O) and they barely wear it anymore.

given that list of issues and comparing to an iconic brand like michigan or usc, oregon comes off as mediocre in the branding game.

Purple Haze! Purple Haze! Purple Haze!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Boise mono blued @ CSU, perhaps in an attempt to say F U to the MWC.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?gameId=312880036&photoId=1622387

I know that the Moutain West banned the blue monochrome look for Boise St. for home games so there really no problem wearing it on the road. It seems that Colorado St. did a white out for this game which allowed Boise St. to wear their home blues. It does seem to be an odd coincidence that CSU wears all white in Boise's first MWC game allowing them to wear a uniform that made news by the MWC banning it from home games.

Mississippi State announced new "golden egg" uniforms for the egg bowl, which takes place the last week of the season. The "M" on the otherwise usual helmet has a golden outline, and the secondary logo with an outline of Mississippi is new:

Article

This looks really good. I like the new secondary logo. I hope it looks good stretched over the shoulder pads since Adidas uses those super stretchy uniforms. I am a bit hesitant to see what the gold gradient looks like on the field, but I think that looks better than having a solid gold number. It seems Adidas is stepping it up with special uniforms.

Message boards for Mississipi State and Texas A&M have been throwing out the idea that when A&M starts SEC play next season that the winner of the A&M-MSU game should win the rights to wear maroon the following season when the teams play each other. Not a bad idea to get a little bit of bragging rights started off with new division rivals.

Archived