USA Basketball Jerseys

Waffles

Interesting that they went with all blue on the body, instead of having the inverse of their red jerseys...

I like it better that way, at least on this jersey, with this color. I mean, if it was the red one that was all red, then I probably wouldnt like like, but the blue one, theres something about it that works.

Yeah I agree, nothing says usa more than blue. I know the cold war is over but isnt red be the colour of communism?

Whatever your preferences are for red (which i tend to like elsewhere) blue is the traditional thing and you best stick to tradition when it comes to national teams. You absolutely can not sell out your national pride for a few marketing dollars.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Yeah I agree, nothing says usa more than blue. I know the cold war is over but isnt red be the colour of communism?

Whatever your preferences are for red (which i tend to like elsewhere) blue is the traditional thing and you best stick to tradition when it comes to national teams. You absolutely can not sell out your national pride for a few marketing dollars.

Yeah, maybe; but people refer to the U.S. as the "red, white, and blue", so I see nothing wrong using the red.

On the subject of the '96 jerseys, they weren't all that bad - if you ignore the fact that they used the Orlando Magic number set for them (all but the 6, it looked like a squiggle gone bad).

Besides, the women's teams used red in 1996 and 2000, so it's not like it's a new concept.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problem with the jersey being red, there is more red on the flag than blue, isn't there. Hell Italy has always used Blue for their main Athletic Jersey Color and last I looked there wasn't a spec of blue on their flag.

There's nothing wrong with trying something a little different, it's a once every four years competition why not make a splash and change things up with the uniforms every time.

What we really need is to get these coddled NBA players off the team completely and go back to using amateurs. Same thing with Ice Hockey and the NHL players. The fact that is was a bunch of kids who "over achieved" is what made the Miracle on Ice so special. How special could it have really felt for Canada to win the Gold in 2002. I know it had been a while so I'm sure it felt great, but imagine if it would have been a bunch of kids from the Oshawa Generals, Ottawa 67's, Granby Bisons etc.....

What we really need is to get these coddled NBA players off the team completely and go back to using amateurs. Same thing with Ice Hockey and the NHL players. The fact that is was a bunch of kids who "over achieved" is what made the Miracle on Ice so special. How special could it have really felt for Canada to win the Gold in 2002. I know it had been a while so I'm sure it felt great, but imagine if it would have been a bunch of kids from the Oshawa Generals, Ottawa 67's, Granby Bisons etc.....

The problem is, that no NHL players means that the gaps don't disappear, the level of play gets lower. The only reason the Miracle on Ice happened is because the Soviets didn't let many players out of the country to play in the NHL (case in point, Tretiak). Summary: you wouldn't have bigger underdogs because of no pros, you'd just have a lower level of play.

Since the 2002 Olys were all NHL players, it was the highest possible level of competition. Canada kicked serious tail, and so it felt mighty good, thank you very much. Nobody really would have cared nearly as much if it would've been a bunch of Juniors, because it wouldn't have the star power, and it would just be a second World Junior Championship (which is extremely popular in it's own right, but nothing like the 2002 Gold was).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The problem is, that no NHL players means that the gaps don't disappear, the level of play gets lower. The only reason the Miracle on Ice happened is because the Soviets didn't let many players out of the country to play in the NHL (case in point, Tretiak). Summary: you wouldn't have bigger underdogs because of no pros, you'd just have a lower level of play.

Since the 2002 Olys were all NHL players, it was the highest possible level of competition. Canada kicked serious tail, and so it felt mighty good, thank you very much. Nobody really would have cared nearly as much if it would've been a bunch of Juniors, because it wouldn't have the star power, and it would just be a second World Junior Championship (which is extremely popular in it's own right, but nothing like the 2002 Gold was).

I wasn't really trying to elude to the fact that it was a major upset that made it special but rather because it was a bunch of young kids. The Olympics is a time to unearth "new heros". Whether it be a young gymnast no one knew about like Nadia or Olga, or a boxer like Leon Spinks or Sugar Ray Leonard, there is nothing better than watching an athlete you have never heard of capture the spotlight with a performance that kicks butt.

I agree that Canada kicked butt in 02 and I do understand that it was a long time coming so it had to feel great. But truly it was really just an extended NHL All-Star skills week. There were a couple teams stacked with NHL All-Stars and then others who had a handful. I find it hard to believe that Canadiens wouldn't have cared as much if a team of young amateurs won the Gold Medal I think they would have cherished the victory even more because to be honest do you think that the NHL players who won the Gold medal appreciate it near as much as a bunch of young kids would?

I think (and I will apologize up front if I offend any of our Canadien friends on this board) Canada does suffer from a bit of an inferiority complex. I also believe that Hockey is one of the things that has defined Canada for so long (and for good reason) that winning back the Olympic Gold had become a bit of a "Holy Crusade", so they tend to get sensitive if someone makes statement regarding the use of NHL pros. Don't get me wrong the USA had the same motivation for using NBA players, that's why I said BOTH sports needed to go back to amateurs.

I think one way to step back and look at it is this.....

Were you more surprised by Canada and the USA not winning in 98 or by meeting in the Gold Medal game in 02? The fact that everyone was shocked at how bad the USA did in 98 and surprised that Canada didn't win it all shows that everyone EXPECTS them to compete for the Gold so where is the fun.

but isnt red be the colour of communism?

watch it.......... :flagcanada:

the us should always use blue, for the simple reason that all their 2 biggest rivals use red.

canada, america's neighbor, uses red. russia, america's arch rival (even after the cold war) still uses red. in fact, team russia's red jerseys were mistaken by some fans as being red versions of america's blue jerseys in '02.

the women's american hockey team (which has no respect for their opponents or their flag) has been in a heated rivalry with canada since women's hockey reached international level. i dont think americans would be happy to see their women's team play in red jerseys. here is another reason why americans should wear blue (this applies to their new basketball jerseys). the jerseys are red with white lettering. who else did that? the soviet union.

besides, blue has always been a traditionally american color. during the revolution, american soliders wore blue, and continued to do so until WWI.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah Basketball- the least competitive of all olympic sports!!

So is the red or the blue uni the 'road' uni or do they have equal billing? Personally I think they all look fine- although I associate the US more with blue rather than red unis I guess.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived