Basketball recruit turns down a school because of thier colors and ugly shoes..

charger77

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the other thread, I don't have a problem with brand loyalty, either.

I've had enough positive experiences with Nike performance sneakers as a user (playing basketball, working out, and playing tennis) that I'm fairly loyal to Nike*when buying performance sneakers*. On the odd occasion where I've experienced an unusual degrade in quality after minimal wear, Nike gave me a full refund. In contrast, I had a horrible experience with a pair of Reebok basketball shoes over a decade ago (both from a performance perspective, and from a customer relations perspective); I haven't worn a pair since. And frankly, I'm scared to death that John Wall, star of my beloved Washington Wizards, is wearing Reeboks that received extremely low performance ratings on SoleCollector.com, in part because I personally don't trust Reeboks from a performance perspective at all.

If I was a basketball recruit I certainly wouldn't make my decision based on school colors or if it was a Nike or adidas team. But I'm sitting here paying for my education and he's going to go to any of those schools for free and play basketball. I don't get why people are getting so upset about him saying this. It's not like Baylor was his only offer. The guy might only play in college for one year, so if he wants to wear uniforms he likes for that year then he can.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I hope this kid blows out his knee and never sees the court. And then has to sit in a Green and Yellow room at whatever :censored:ty job he spends the rest of his life at.

Stay classy, San Diego.

EDIT: Sigh. I'm not sure why I bothered to reply. Grubstreet clearly wrote that sentence in the hopes of getting a reaction. I'm sure he's not out hoping and praying that this 17-year old kid loses an opportunity to do what he wants to do in life.

Also, here's an update from the original blogger:

POSTSCRIPT, ADDED ON 9/10

I have read a lot of comments on multiple sites, especially Yahoo Rivals, attacking Goodwin as a person for the above statements. Most of the people making these nasty attacks seem to believe the only reason Goodwin chose to eliminate Baylor from contention was aesthetic concerns. This is obviously false, since he gave other reasons. It?s unfortunate that his comments were stripped from their original context on this blog, but I also understand that is an inherent risk with anything written online for public consumption.

My job isn?t to be an apologist, or promoter, for Goodwin. It?s simply to serve as a way for him to tell the world about the life of a modern elite college recruit. He?s done that, and done it well, for six Sync player?s diaries now.

People who take the time to read these diaries, or listen to other Goodwin interviews online, will quickly realize he?s a personable, intelligent teenager. But he?s a teenager. In the spring, he was watching ?SpongeBob? and ?Fairly Odd Parents?. He likes to goof around. And yeah, he likes some colors and shoe styles over others.

Everyone?s entitled to their opinion, even those spewing ill-informed garbage all over major outlets? comment sections. It?s a lot easier, after all, to form opinions without first going through the trouble of getting correct context and proper background information.

But it takes curiosity and intelligence to even understand when such effort is necessary.

The Yahoo Rivals comment section shows those qualities are absent in a disturbingly large number of people.

http://thesportsseer.com/2011/09/09/extras-from-archie-goodwin-interview-nike-adidas-and-why-it-matters/

I hope this kid blows out his knee and never sees the court. And then has to sit in a Green and Yellow room at whatever :censored:ty job he spends the rest of his life at.

Wishing injury to a minor/kid, how classy. I wish we all could've been as great as you, grubstreet when we were 17yrs old. <- insert sarcastic tone

Glass houses, boys and girls.....glass houses.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

If I was playing college basketball, school colors wouldn't be a factor, but manufacturer would. Nike basketball shoes are so much better than Adidas or any other brand

You must have the feet of a 12 year old girl. For my money, Nike makes the least comfortable basketball shoes of the major manufacturers. Only shoes I have to wear inserts in, and I'm not about to pay EVEN more to make my shoes comfortable when I can just buy a different company.

Wishing injury to a minor/kid, how classy. I wish we all could've been as great as you, grubstreet when we were 17yrs old. <- insert sarcastic tone

Glass houses, boys and girls.....glass houses.

c'mon now. im not practicing voodoo on the guy. 17 or not, have some good sense. at least enough to be grateful that you even have the opportunity to have school paid for. statements like this could only fuel the fire of apparel companies pushing outfits to please :censored:head spoiled kids. and glass houses? whuh? i dont recall turning down a scholarship because of some asinine, snotty reason.

I don't want to get too off topic, but regarding manufacturers, the Nike basketball shoes I owned were hell on the ankles (hardly any support). They looked great...but that was about it. Converse is actually the best brand I've worn - comfortable, great arch and ankle support, and they were pretty stylish (of course, I'm not talking about Chucks, just to clarify :P).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

If I was playing college basketball, school colors wouldn't be a factor, but manufacturer would. Nike basketball shoes are so much better than Adidas or any other brand

You must have the feet of a 12 year old girl. For my money, Nike makes the least comfortable basketball shoes of the major manufacturers. Only shoes I have to wear inserts in, and I'm not about to pay EVEN more to make my shoes comfortable when I can just buy a different company.

[OT]

I'm surprised to hear Nikes getting knocked for being uncomfortable. I find that their Max Air shoes (I play down low in the post) take a day or two to break in, but once they're broken in, they're extremely comfortable. Their Zoom Air shoes are comfortable out of the box. Their Lunar Foam shoes are for lighter players only, and I've read that lunar foam breaks down quickly over time. Shox tend to be gimmicky; I'd avoid 'em. If you stick with Max Air, Zoom Air, or double-stacked Zoom Air (which they usually reserve for their more expensive shoes), you should be fine.

[/OT]

[OT]

I'm surprised to hear Nikes getting knocked for being uncomfortable. I find that their Max Air shoes (I play down low in the post) take a day or two to break in, but once they're broken in, they're extremely comfortable. Their Zoom Air shoes are comfortable out of the box. Their Lunar Foam shoes are for lighter players only, and I've read that lunar foam breaks down quickly over time. Shox tend to be gimmicky; I'd avoid 'em. If you stick with Max Air, Zoom Air, or double-stacked Zoom Air (which they usually reserve for their more expensive shoes), you should be fine.

[/OT]

That's actually great to know, because I tend to play down low, too. I have flatter-than-Nike-wants feet (to be specific, all but one pair of Nike basketball shoes I've owned in the last ten years has given me a sharp pain in my left instep after fifteen minutes of play or so), and I've actually had really good success with Converse myself. But I'll be sure to look into this...thanks!

I've had the exact opposite experience with Nike shoes. I wear Jordans mainly, and I've never even had to spend a day breaking them in, they're just comfortable right out the box. Strange.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

[

[OT]

[/OT]

That's actually great to know, because I tend to play down low, too. I have flatter-than-Nike-wants feet (to be specific, all but one pair of Nike basketball shoes I've owned in the last ten years has given me a sharp pain in my left instep after fifteen minutes of play or so), and I've actually had really good success with Converse myself. But I'll be sure to look into this...thanks!

I've got extremely flat feet as well. I recommend the Air Max Hyperdunk (full max air from heel to toe). If you're willing to go with a slightly heavier shoe, the Air Force 25s (max air in the heel, zoom in the toe). Neither shoe aggravates my instep. In comparison, stay away from the Air Mid Uptempos, or the Air Pippens.

Also: buy your shoes on eBay about a year after the shoes have been released. You'll save good money: these shoes retailed at $150-160; I paid $50-60 a year or so later.

For sneaker reviews, check out http://solecollector.com/Sneakers/Kicksology/ (they used to be independent; now they're owned by Eastbay). They don't review every shoe, but when they do, they're fairly thorough.

Now, what were we talking about? Oregon's uniforms? :P

I've had the exact opposite experience with Nike shoes. I wear Jordans mainly, and I've never even had to spend a day breaking them in, they're just comfortable right out the box. Strange.

AH! Jordans are different. There was this fantastic older guy that worked at a Finish Line in Tampa that I used to frequent. He said that Jordans are typically a bit flatter than Nike's other shoes. He suggested that, if I want to give Nike my money, I'd be better off buying Jordans because they're easier to wear out of the box. I haven't taken his advice yet, but it's been awhile since I've played enough to need new shoes.

I got a pair of Nike running shoes and they messed me up so bad that I momentarily weighed the pros and cons of amputating my feet. Not sure what happened there, but I'm done with them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

AH! Jordans are different. There was this fantastic older guy that worked at a Finish Line in Tampa that I used to frequent. He said that Jordans are typically a bit flatter than Nike's other shoes. He suggested that, if I want to give Nike my money, I'd be better off buying Jordans because they're easier to wear out of the box. I haven't taken his advice yet, but it's been awhile since I've played enough to need new shoes.

Another piece of advice: if you want regular basketball kicks, go for one of the cheaper variety of Jordans on FootLocker/FootAction/whatever - the SC-2's, the Phase 23's, the P.I.T. High Flyers, etc. Those are a lot less expensive than the usual 1's, 2's, 3's, et al. that people rock as day-to-day shoes, so there's no need to stress about scuffs or creases.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

^ Be careful with the Jordan line. Other than the actual annually-released Air Jordans, I find that most of their shoes are more fashion-oriented than performance-oriented.

Air Jordans are great to play in, agreed. But they're super-expensive, and they don't drop in price on eBay the way other Nike performance basketball shoes do.

I've had to wear doctor prescribed orthodics for around 7 years, I'm 17. Then I got my Kobe zoom 6, best shoes ever I swear by them. A good alternative is the zoom Hyperfuse which are also very comfy. I swear by nike and assuming all things are equal I would definitely choose a Nike school over adidas, but hey I'm just a teenager right. ;)

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived