thespleenenator's B1G concepts

thespleenenator

As I was ranting about how Tim O'Brien's concepts were horrid, I thought "If i'm going to say stuff like that, I should probably do a serious on my own." So here it is.

Illinois: Home, Away, Home Alt 1, Home Alt 2, Home Alt 3,Home Alt 4,Away Alt 1

C&C

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first of all, the Chief automatically makes this not a serious concept. Yes its a great logo, and we never shoulda lost it, but to bring it up is just sad now. The italic Illinois is a little weak without an outline. And the single line down the helmet and pants is kinda boring. I like the font for the numbers, but they are kinda boring. Also from the side you get a big I on the shoulder and the leg side, sometimes of different colors. A bit redundant.

And yeah what is up with the shoulder numbers?

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Kinda 'blah' dude. These are pretty basic for proving that you can "do a serious on your own"...

Like why not do something outlandish, since you were so opposed to how safe Tim's were? Seems like you took a more conservative route than even Tim did with these. I wouldn't qualify combinations as "more creative", either.

Shoulder or arm numbers aren't just there for decoration. They have a purpose, for the fans and the folks in the pressbox. The numbers need to be facing the fans/pressbox to help identify the player.

That's why I object so much to Nike's uniforms not having shoulder/arm numbers. Those numbers really do serve a purpose.

Wow, these looked so much better on Inkscape. I look at them now, and you guys are right. The design isn't bad, but man these are boring. I'll leave them up for now, but I need to get more creative than this. I'm surprised no one noticed the socks, and the matching patterns on the shoes. I guess they were more subtle than I thought they were. I was originally going to do a headdress helmet, but I thought that was over done. As for the shoulder numbers, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Shoulder numbers don't face forward, they face up. Maybe the fact that they're italicized is throwing you off?

1 more thing. You guys seem to be confused with what I was getting on Tim about. It wasn't that his designs were simple, I don't mind that. It's that his changes were so minuscule, that there was almost no difference between the current uniforms and his concepts. That's why I was "angry".

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wow, these looked so much better on Inkscape. I look at them now, and you guys are right. The design isn't bad, but man these are boring. I'll leave them up for now, but I need to get more creative than this. I'm surprised no one noticed the socks, and the matching patterns on the shoes. I guess they were more subtle than I thought they were. I was originally going to do a headdress helmet, but I thought that was over done. As for the shoulder numbers, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Shoulder numbers don't face forward, they face up. Maybe the fact that they're italicized is throwing you off?

1 more thing. You guys seem to be confused with what I was getting on Tim about. It wasn't that his designs were simple, I don't mind that. It's that his changes were so minuscule, that there was almost no difference between the current uniforms and his concepts. That's why I was "angry".

I don't like the continuation of the stripe on the socks, especially since college teams wear low socks. It wouldn't be very noticeable.

Your shoulder numbers ARE wrong. They should be parallel to the edge of the jersey - yours are perpendicular.

I would rather see a concept that doesn't mess with an already solid look than see one that's a downgrade, which IMO yours is. You should try to incorporate the zig-zag/split color pattern, since it's so unique and identifiable with Illinois.

I don't like the continuation of the stripe on the socks, especially since college teams wear low socks. It wouldn't be very noticeable.

Your shoulder numbers ARE wrong. They should be parallel to the edge of the jersey - yours are perpendicular.

I would rather see a concept that doesn't mess with an already solid look than see one that's a downgrade, which IMO yours is. You should try to incorporate the zig-zag/split color pattern, since it's so unique and identifiable with Illinois.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously? It's just a bunch of random blobs and lines.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously? It's just a bunch of random blobs and lines.

You misunderstood. I wasn't saying that Illinois' look was solid. I was referring to Tim's thread, which you've been bashing. I'll rephrase...

I would rather see Tim's concepts with little change to already solid looks than see a concept that's a downgrade, which IMO yours is.

I still don't see the difference. I was saying that Illinois current look is terrible. What the hell does Tim have to do with anything.

I still don't see the difference. I was saying that Illinois current look is terrible. What the hell does Tim have to do with anything.

I'm saying that you're not really proving anything in this thread. You made this thread to "talk the talk" after bashing Tim's thread. I'm saying that you're not backing it up. While your concept made a lot of changes, they're not necessarily good changes. I would rather see a concept with very few changes than one with changes that downgrade the look.

I'm saying that you're not really proving anything in this thread. You made this thread to "talk the talk" after bashing Tim's thread. I'm saying that you're not backing it up. While your concept made a lot of changes, they're not necessarily good changes. I would rather see a concept with very few changes than one with changes that downgrade the look.

So you LIKE Illinois current look?

So you LIKE Illinois current look?

This shouldn't be that hard to comprehend...

No, their current look is average. Your concept is worse. I guess I have to be blunt...your concept is bad. Take our advice, and come out with an update.

Archived