Texas Stars new Alternate Logo.

Lee.

It's an okay logo. The real problem here is that the team is called the "Texas" Stars. The Stars (AHL), Brahmas (CHL), and Rangers (MLB) all have Texas in their name despite playing against other Texas based teams...

Yeah, I wish the AHL Stars would go to Cedar Park or Austin. I really wish that the Brahmas would go back to Fort Worth, but the reason why they dropped it is because the city wouldn't let them have priority on dates and kicked them out for a failed D-League (or ABA, I forget what league). In any case, if they went with their current home, they would be the North Richland Hills Brahmas. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

As for the Rangers, I don't get the hate for the team's name. The Texas Rangers have been the state's premier law agency since the days of the Republic, and the team's name fits well with the agency. Having the "Arlington Rangers" or God forbid "Dallas Rangers" just wouldn't make much sense.

I think Texas Rangers is a much better name than Arlington or Dallas, but they aren't the only team in Texas... I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

It's an okay logo. The real problem here is that the team is called the "Texas" Stars. The Stars (AHL), Brahmas (CHL), and Rangers (MLB) all have Texas in their name despite playing against other Texas based teams...

To widen their potential fanbase. They can sell their crap in Dallas, Austin, Waco, etc. Of course, this being hockey in Texas, that ain't too likely.Esp. with such underwhelming designs.

Yeah, I wish the AHL Stars would go to Cedar Park or Austin. I really wish that the Brahmas would go back to Fort Worth, but the reason why they dropped it is because the city wouldn't let them have priority on dates and kicked them out for a failed D-League (or ABA, I forget what league). In any case, if they went with their current home, they would be the North Richland Hills Brahmas. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

As for the Rangers, I don't get the hate for the team's name. The Texas Rangers have been the state's premier law agency since the days of the Republic, and the team's name fits well with the agency. Having the "Arlington Rangers" or God forbid "Dallas Rangers" just wouldn't make much sense.

I think Texas Rangers is a much better name than Arlington or Dallas, but they aren't the only team in Texas... I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

The best solution is to go with the Texas Rangers. Yeah, Houston has a team, but nobody's that conflicted about it.

As per twitter, a new alt logo for the Texas Stars.

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/news/news/index.html?article_id=700

ticker_starssecondary.jpg

It's better than the primary, but it's like debating the prettier Denny's waitress.

Not good. Maybe it's the team's colors. Something about gold and green in conjunction with a star and the team's location that just seems off to me. The green felt right with the north star while in Minnesota, but not in Dallas.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Since when is a star considered an X?

the similarity principal of Gestalt theory. perceiving the individual elements as a unified whole, it still reads as TEXAS, as a star is just similar enough to an X.

i dont particularly like the logo, but you cant say it dosent read as TEXAS

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This has to be one of my biggest logo pet peeves. How is a star an X? This says TEAS to me.

Those "Back to Football" NFL ads drove me nuts, too, using the shield as the A. Makes no sense.

Astonishingly, they used the same campaign with individual team logos. I had a Packers magnet schedule last year which read "BACK TO FOOTB(G)LL".

That would be even worse. Using a different letter? Hmm.

Mid-Cities Brahmas, anyone? The other two hockey teams to play out of Blue Line NYTEX were the Texas Tornado (now in Frisco) and Lone Star Cavalry (now the Topeka Roadrunners). I'd love for the Brahmas to go back to Fort Worth as well. If the Bass family ever gets off their ass and builds the arena off Montgomery, they can tear down the arena in the convention center and convert that space for additional halls, while moving the Rodeo to the new arena and thus freeing up Will Rogers (a great hockey arena since 1941) for the Brahmas.

There have been Dallas Rangers (Texas League and PCL) and Fort Worth Rangers (AHA, USHL)... I suppose DFW Rangers or Metroplex Rangers are equally abhorrent as Arlington Rangers.

Mid-Cities Brahmas, anyone? The other two hockey teams to play out of Blue Line NYTEX were the Texas Tornado (now in Frisco) and Lone Star Cavalry (now the Topeka Roadrunners). I'd love for the Brahmas to go back to Fort Worth as well. If the Bass family ever gets off their ass and builds the arena off Montgomery, they can tear down the arena in the convention center and convert that space for additional halls, while moving the Rodeo to the new arena and thus freeing up Will Rogers (a great hockey arena since 1941) for the Brahmas.

I don't know if you've looked at a Mapsco lately, but there is no such city as "Mid-Cities." For me, naming a team's location after a nickname or region is worse than naming them for a State. Even then, I don't think the Will Rogers center would be better than NYTEX (would certainly be a lot older). NYTEX is at least easier to get in and out of than anywhere in Fort Worth.

There have been Dallas Rangers (Texas League and PCL) and Fort Worth Rangers (AHA, USHL)... I suppose DFW Rangers or Metroplex Rangers are equally abhorrent as Arlington Rangers.

Again, the team doesn't play in Dallas or Fort Worth. Arlington went out of its way to get the team into the area, and Texas was chosen because a) It fit the name of the agency, and B) it created a much bigger market for the team. Even if you want to use a loose Dallas Cowboys argument, the current success of the club would make it impossible for them to change now. Go look at that Ballpark and tell me it doesn't reak of Texan nationalism. That club isn't changing anytime soon.

I don't know if you've looked at a Mapsco lately, but there is no such city as "Mid-Cities." For me, naming a team's location after a nickname or region is worse than naming them for a State.

If the direct place name (NRH) is unwieldy, then I see no problem with using a Mid-Cities moniker. That there's no such place on the map is irrelevant. Lots of teams outside the US are named not after formal municipalities, but "neighborhoods." See the EPL for examples. From a marketing standpoint, NRH is too limiting and Texas is too broad. Mid Cities covers the core market of NE Tarrant County without alienating too many people. People don't seem to have a problem with Birdville, which hasn't been on a map for decades but lives on through the school district.

Even then, I don't think the Will Rogers center would be better than NYTEX (would certainly be a lot older). NYTEX is at least easier to get in and out of than anywhere in Fort Worth.

Really? Where are you coming from that NYTEX is easy to get to, Birdville HS? Unless you're cruising from up/down Davis it's not that easy to get to most evenings.

I'm biased because I work literally across the street from Will Rogers, but it's a LOT easier to get to for a majority of the county than it is fighting 121/183 or 820 during rush hour to get to it. Most people in a 10 mile radius don't know NYTEX exists and unless they've actually added signage along Mid Cities Blvd, that warehouse next to Birdville's fields is out of sight, out of mind for most. I live in the Eagle Mountain area, and Will Rogers is a LOT easier to get to than NYTEX, and will be for at least another ten years.

Don't get me wrong... I have a lot of love for Blue Line/NYTEX. It's cozy and LOUD. With that low ceiling, put 850 people in there and it sounds louder than 8,500 in the Convention Center. I was a regular at Tornado games and was the broadcaster for the Cavalry their only season and their defacto GM that summer after Blue Line closed. The only real complaint I have is that they installed the seats wrong originally (hence the aisles from the tunnels to the doors topside being wonky and requiring you to step over a row of seats) and never fixed it. It was on mine and Mike Sanderson's (the arena manager then) to-do list in 2004 - host a weekend and have everyone bring out their power wrenches and get the rows realigned properly.

You're the one that said you'd like to see the Brahmas back in Fort Worth. If you prefer the horrible sight lines of the shallow-bowled Convention Center to being on top of the action at Will Rogers, well then there's probably not hope for you.

Again, the team doesn't play in Dallas or Fort Worth. Arlington went out of its way to get the team into the area, and Texas was chosen because a) It fit the name of the agency, and B) it created a much bigger market for the team. Even if you want to use a loose Dallas Cowboys argument, the current success of the club would make it impossible for them to change now. Go look at that Ballpark and tell me it doesn't reak of Texan nationalism. That club isn't changing anytime soon.

You took me the wrong way. I have no problem with the Texas Rangers as a name... just pointing out some history.

The best solution is to go with the Texas Rangers. Yeah, Houston has a team, but nobody's that conflicted about it.

The Rangers name came first (1961), one year before the Houston franchise (1962).

The Rangers name came first (1961), one year before the Houston franchise (1962).

Not quite, the Rangers franchise may have come first but they began as the 2nd Washington Senators and didn't move to Texas to become the Rangers until 1972

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 5 months later...

The Yankees aren't the only team in New York, either. Nobody's arguing for the Bronx Yankees and the Queens Mets. Or the New York City Yankees.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived