Tebow Gets Starting Job in Denver

hailstateunis

I could care less about his views/opinions off the field. He's a QB in the NFL, and that's all I care about, how he does in the NFL. I really don't get people who love or hate him because of his life views.

He won two National Championships and nearly won two Heismans at a big-name school in the Bible Belt.

I agree with the religion thing. Tebow wears his faith on his sleeve but he certainly isn't the first player to do so. Jon Kitna was preaching from the press box long before the nation even knew who Tim Tebow was, but he didn't attract a legion of loyalists. In fact, his constant talk about Jesus and his "cross hats" drew the ire of many fans.

2007-07230-dm-tcamp-am0341combo.jpg

The difference, though, lies in the first sentence. Nobody ever said "Jon Kitna's a winner!" when he came out of college, so there were no illusions that he could resurrect a franchise all by himself.

Did anybody else notice Al Michaels make some comment about Ben Bernanke a couple weeks back? Chris Collinsworth almost gagged. He was like... SO HOW ABOUT THOSE CHIEFS?! Micahels is known for being politically outspoken at times. Just another reason sports and politics should be separated.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Did anybody else notice Al Michaels make some comment about Ben Bernanke a couple weeks back? Chris Collinsworth almost gagged. He was like... SO HOW ABOUT THOSE CHIEFS?! Micahels is known for being politically outspoken at times. Just another reason sports and politics should be separated.

I believe it was about Warren Buffett if I'm not mistaken.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I believe it was about Warren Buffett if I'm not mistaken.

It was Warren Buffett.

Nothing over the top but yeah my advice to any sports announcer would be to keep your mouth shut on political issues. Part of the reason people watch sports is just so they don't have to hear about those kinds of arguments. If Keith Olbermann can keep the two issues seperate, I'm sure anyone can.

Also if Al Michaels wants to talk about a relevant political issue when it comes to taxes and sports, why doesn't he talk about the percentage of player salaries that have come indirectly through publically financed stadiums? Or better yet, just talk what's happening in the game like your being paid to do and nothing else.

As for Tebow and his life views anyone who's that outspoken about religion and can reach the kind of audience Tebow can is going to be very controversial.

I don't think he's controversial as he could be because it appears to me at least that he picks out his words very carefully. I've heard him say he's pro life, but I haven't heard him say that he's anti-abortion. Most of the quotes I've seen from him honestly seem pretty bland. High use of religious imagry, but your gonna be hard pressed to find many quotes out there where he specifcially talks about religion while talking about football at the same time. I don't think theres much blending for the two with him, versus someone like Reggie White where I would say the two were directly connected to each other. He claimed he went to the Packers because that's where god told him to go in a vision. I haven't heard Tebow say anything like that.

my position on him is this, I could careless what his opinions are, all I care is if he can put W's on the board and lead the team to the super bowl.

It's like the celebrities that spent 8 years flaming Bush and his policies. I may not care for their positions but it's not going to stop me from enjoying a movie they are in. I watch a celebrity to be entertained not to listen to their political opinions. Same with this guy Tebow, I could careless if he worships God, Maven, Taven or the Sun, if I'm a broncos fan, I just want him to win.

BUT if you guys don't want him because you don't like his religious views, I'm more than happy to give you an overrated and no longer welcomed Tony Romo and his gossip magazine drama that comes with him.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Can we dislike Tebow for what he pimps and Tony Romo for his tabloid antics?

I'll stick with Aaron Rodgers, thank you. We don't have to deal with either.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't care what the President says, CS. You can't have him. :P

But lest you think men in Green and Gold are somehow immune from criticism, I was one of those who called the Packers when Reggie White decided that it was okay to wear his Packers uniform in a reprehensible anti-gay ad. If I had been on this board at the time, I would have called him out just that same as the others.

I just think it was pointless as hell to swagger into a Tebow thread saying "hey guys, look at my awesome quarterback! Damn, he is so awesome. Did you see the superbowl ring in my avatar? Yeah, he got us that."

It's like going to a soup kitchen to brag about the great steak dinner you had last night.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Sorry, wasn't my intention at all.

I was referring to Rodgers' ability to avoid the personal spotlight, that's all. Never said anything about the on-field prowess of any of the men under discussion.

And hell, given our recent quarterbacking history, "ability to avoid the personal spotlight" is a highly-prized quality in Green Bay right now.

Reggie White was a tool. There, I said it. Thanks for the championship, Reggie, now sit down and shut the hell up.

Tebow can take the heat. His blend of football and religion has been very lucrative for him, so he'll keep doing what he's doing.

The world is a better place without Reggie White and people like him. I loved him when I was a kid, and was still a fan when he left for GB because I understood the players' problems with Eagles ownership, but as I got older, I started to realize what a hate filled person he was and how he used religion and "god" to veil said hatred.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What's really tragic is that he was coming out of it.

He had left his church, and was convinced that modern churches had corrupted the original faith. The week before he died, he told NFL Films that he felt "prostituted" by the church leaders who were using him for his fame. He had stopped signing his autograph with "Cor.13", as had previously been his custom. By the end, he wasn't even calling himself a "Christian" anymore, just a "believer."

He went so far as to say "To me, the church is doing major damage to society as a whole."

I don't know what he would have found on his journey, but had he not died when he did, it's possible Reggie White could have become a spokesman for good. Instead, we're left with a very sad legacy.

Archived