Buying tickets online for sporting events.

randyc

Has anyone ever bought ticket online over ebay or kijiji? I ask because I found some tickets for the Leafs vs Canucks game in February, and in the ad on kijiji it said "4 hard tix in hand best offer takes them." So I made my offer for 3 tickets and he accepted the offer but the email was a very quick reply and quite wordy, could be just copy/paste if he does this a lot though. Anyways, he also said in the email that he was unable to go because his wife and daughters couldn't work out their schedules in order to go because they live in Saskatchewan. Now, what really makes me question all of this is that he is selling tickets for others games and events in Vancouver, plus the offer I have him for what are really good seats for a high priced game was quite low. I asked for a picture of the tickets to make sure I would be getting what I'm paying for and all I got was this tiny picture taken with a phone because he's currently at work.

ticketsconcert.jpg

He is selling 4 tickets so that part of the picture makes sense but I thought I would post this on here to see what your guys' thoughts are on this and to hear any experience you guys have with doing this.

8prlQWA.png

Coming from a guy (Me) in the sports ticketing field, if you much buy from a ticket reseller, I only trust StubHub and anything affiliated with Ticketmaster.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Stub Hub is the way to go always, but Ticketmaster is not bad either.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I've bought from Ticketmaster before, this is more about buying from individual people.

Your always taking a certain amount of risk with any type of online transaction with tickets that doesen't deal directly with the team box office. Some are better then others, but you have a much higher chance of getting a real ticket from company like StubHub or Ticketmaster then you would a individual scalper.

I'd suggest StubHub as well. I never have had a problem with the tickets I've bought through there and I've purchased quite a few using their services.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I am also a StubHub guy. If something goes bad, they have people in place to get you a similar backup ticket. I always figure in the fees when I go looking, and you can usually find good deals if you time it right.

That said, a guy I know buys all his Lakers tickets on eBay and I'm not aware of any issues, so perhaps they have a similar policy. (Or maybe he had a good experience with one or two users and buys from them exclusively.) I'm not familiar with the site you used.

Now back in the day, I used to make deals over the phone and then meet my "I got a guy" in a bar. Or the "let's go around the corner" guy near Wrigley. So maybe you'll come out OK and this will be your go-to guy. You say he's selling more tickets. He wouldn't be in business long if he pulls one over on his customers.

That said, a guy I know buys all his Lakers tickets on eBay and I'm not aware of any issues, so perhaps they have a similar policy. (Or maybe he had a good experience with one or two users and buys from them exclusively.) I'm not familiar with the site you used.

eBay owns StubHub.

I'd ask for his information including home address, and the names of his children and their schools.

Seriously though, I would get information on the guy if you're sending a lot of money. When I was in college, my roommate bought a welder from a guy on a "off the books" deal through eBay...well, my buddy wasn't the brightest with online transactions and this was like 8 years ago. At any rate, he sent the guy $3,700 through Western Union and the guy never sent welder or replied to his e-mails.

We tracked the guy down through a bunch of online sites and crossing referencing stuff. My roommate drove from Columbia, SC to Bowling Green, OH straight and knocked on this guy's door. He said the guy freaked out once he knew who he was and realized he was 6'3 245 lbs...my roommate followed him to the ATM and got $4,000 ($300 for his troubles) and drove straight back to South Carolina.

eBay owns StubHub.

Huh. Did not know (or forgot) that tidbit of info. So much for my advice. The fake jerseys drove me away from eBay a long time ago, so I never felt good about ticket purchases there.

I found excellent Saints-Falcons tickets on Craigslist one year but the guy also had them listed on the Falcons' official ticket exchange and that's the reason I went ahead. Wouldn't buy anything that was only listed on an unofficial site. Stubhub, Ticketmaster, NFL Ticket Exchange...you're good on any of those types of sites. Don't know if the NHL has something similar.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Online is pretty much the only place I've bought tickets. I usually use StubHub, but occasionally find some great deals on eBay too. I would NEVER buy tickets off Kijiji/Craigslist that I would have to send money away for. These are for In-Person, cash transactions only. Stubhub has buyer protection and eBay has seller feedback, so you know what you're getting into.

Kijiji/Craigslist are buy-at-your-own risk. I usually try to buy/sell stuff at a neutral location, in person, somewhere out in public. Never can be too careful.

I'd ask for his information including home address, and the names of his children and their schools.

Seriously though, I would get information on the guy if you're sending a lot of money. When I was in college, my roommate bought a welder from a guy on a "off the books" deal through eBay...well, my buddy wasn't the brightest with online transactions and this was like 8 years ago. At any rate, he sent the guy $3,700 through Western Union and the guy never sent welder or replied to his e-mails.

We tracked the guy down through a bunch of online sites and crossing referencing stuff. My roommate drove from Columbia, SC to Bowling Green, OH straight and knocked on this guy's door. He said the guy freaked out once he knew who he was and realized he was 6'3 245 lbs...my roommate followed him to the ATM and got $4,000 ($300 for his troubles) and drove straight back to South Carolina.

That's quite an epic tale!

On topic, I agree with the general consensus that StubHub is the way to go for tickets.

I have purchased tickets from people I found on Craig's List. I couldn't bring myself to purchase tix off eBay unless they were pickup only. I just don't trust people like that.

Add me to the list touting StubHub.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I bought tickets for a hockey game this year on Ticketmaster's Ticket Exchange and couldn't believe that the service fees and whatnot really were only $2 per ticket. The tickets cost me less than they would have if I bought them from regular Ticketmaster, and they were even marked up a little from face value.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Any experience I've had with StubHub has been a good one. I remember even a few years ago (I think 2008) calling up StubHub and them letting us pick up tickets for a Sox-Cards game that day at the StubHub office in Boston.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I've used StubHub numerous times too, but have restricted myself to buying the tickets that I can print up myself (most of the time "Instant Download", only once with ordinary download).

Has anyone ever had an issue with the seller not sending the tickets in time? Most of the time, I'm purchasing tickets for games a hella long way from Atlanta, and I've never wanted to take the risk and not having the tickets in hand before I head out of town.

Archived