Indians Concept

whchoclte

I dont post often but seeing how there have been many discussions about the Cleveland Indians and the direction they should go regarding logo and uniforms, figured I would give it a whirl and throw out my idea. The main idea was a dreamcatcher. There is two wordmarks one block and one script, people I have shown it to get torn between the two. Also there is a notched version and non notched version.

Bottom row shows some variants i was trying. White letters (but twins have this look almost) and a straight feather.

Will do small book when i decide on final logo.

Thanks to Matt for making some tweaks and suggestions. Feel free to critique but do not steal.

Your picture link didn't work.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

i like where you're going with this. I like the feathers and drum as a roundel, as opposed to just a circle. Also like the red "C" to the left, very nice update to the 70's one.

My critique, The "I" in your script Indians is reading as a 4, or an AIDS awareness ribbon.

I agree about the script I. It's really taking away from the script itself because it looks so awkward.

Best of that set is the fourth one, block text with notches. The curved feathers are a must, and the blue text on red is a must. Looks like a great direction to go in, but I don't know how well any of those primaries would do as a hat logo or on a jersey.

Get your concept down to one solid primary and go from there. You'll definitely have a fantastic logo set, but you have to figure out what the main one will be before you go branching off.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

cant see it dude.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

My uni plan was to stay soemwhat with what they have. Navy cap red brim, red C on home hat, Indians across chest in red with navy outline with logo on sleeve. Away minus red brim. Thinking keep red letters on both.

Navy alt red letters white outline.

Piping on sleeves.

Real simple. Let wordmark do the talking,

Showing it was to get feedback on what worked what didnt. See if people were digging the script of teh block letter.

I think this is great overall. The fourth one in the top row is my personal favorite, but I think CLEVELAND BASEBALL CLUB should be white. I would also recommend thickening the outline on the wordmark slightly, so it doesn't get lost. When I did the Indians way back when, I used a brown and red palette, and (of course) I thought it worked great. I also used a dream catcher for the primary. I think it is a much better solution to a Native American themed team because it doesn't imply that the mascot is a savage. Great work! I'm excited to see how this concept progresses.

Strangely enough, I agree with nuordr. It strikes me as a minor league identity because of how cartoony it is. Very well done, of course, but a little too gestural and whimsical for the big leagues in my opinion. I keep wondering if there's a better solution than just popping the letters on top of the dreamcatcher. I like the lettering, but the logo looks to be a little bit of a stack-job to me. Maybe ditch the baseball int eh center and instead weave a block C out of the center of the dreamcatcher? I don't know. I feel like I'm critiquing it just to critique it, because that's what I do. I really do like it a lot, especially for something that's not in my natural style, but probably wouldn't want to see it in Cleveland. The red looks very pink, also.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Thanks for all the critique. Revisions below but guess i dont see the cartoony feel. Too detailed yes cartoony no.

To me Orioles is cartoony, Chief Wahoo is cartoony and offensive. Yes they are iconic but that doesnt make them not cartoony.

Here are some revisions:

Upper Left - Original

Upper Middle - White Letters

Upper Right - White Letters and Seams on side

Lower Left - No Bar, Red Letters

Lower Middle - Nor Bar, White Letters

Lower RIght - Red Letters and Seams

My own opinion is it gets too detailed maybe taking away the red bars at top helps. Or adding teh seaming on side. Just trying ideas.

I understand the Indians is a touchy subject as some people love the block letters and only see indians with that or some see Wahoo and say he has to stay. To me there is a happy medium if we are willing to explore. As much as I love a great retro look as a designer always looking to try new things while incorporating some of history.

Guess explaning how i got to this point might help. I wanted to tweak the conventional circle-letter theory as there are alot of teams that do this and I kind of find it boring. Rangers, A's, Padres, Nationals (sorry one mans opinion). Wanted to liven up that look by making it something uniform to the Native American culture without offending and giving the warrior vibe. Sort of trying for that Mets/Brewers look. Have to be aware of the twins look as its very similar. Keep the block or script but improve on it a bit. Keep that style from the 70's in the lettering.

Let me know guys what you think of options.

Well, it's not 'a cartoon' as the Oriole Bird and Chief Wahoo are, but rather, the illustration style is 'cartoony' in that minor league baseball way that's been popularized by the likes of Plan B, Studio Simon and others. Reminds me of the Kinston Indians, for example. Your is obviously slightly less cartoony, but the vibe I get is similar.

kinston-indians-new-logos-2010.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived