Boston Celtics

Lights Out

8sZY3.pngkirYF.png

Basically, I tried to gracefully modernize the Celtics' look, working in more of their secondary colors (black and gold), while still retaining some of the key elements of their classic uniforms. The biggest change is the introduction of a classic Celtic knot pattern in various parts of the uniform - in a sublimated shamrock on the back, and on a sublimated stripe at the bottom of the shorts. (This is easier to see on the road uniforms). Thoughts?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don't like the black. Switch all the black to gold and I think It'll look great.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I don't like the black. Switch all the black to gold and I think It'll look great.

Completely agree with this. The Celtics are tradition, black is the complete opposite of tradition. Gold is also an underused color in the NBA and could really work well if implemented in the Celts' scheme.

Completely agree with this. The Celtics are tradition, black is the complete opposite of tradition. Gold is also an underused color in the NBA and could really work well if implemented in the Celts' scheme.

The problem is that gold is also the complete opposite of tradition. Gold doesn't really belong on a Celtics uniform any more than black does, if we are strictly talking "tradition."

I think the Celts should keep their current gold-less primary (both road and home) unis. To me, they are almost the Yankees of the NBA, at least uniform/tradition-wise. I think they should ditch the black alternate, mainly because it looks ugly. I think they should wear the St. Patty's day unis as "regular" alternates, but NOT OVERWEAR them. They could also wear the St. Patty's unis at home every once in a while.

But in terms of the gold trim presented here, I say no. Keep that strictly for the alternate to make it feel "special."

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I hate to be the stubborn "you're not allowed to make any changes to my team's uniforms" guy but I don't think that this is an upgrade over their current set. This is a fantastic concept, but if the Celtics were to actually wear these I'd be dissapointed. Frankly, I don't think the Celtics uniforms should feature black or gold. If you want to modernize the Celtics uniforms, here are the few changes that I would be OK with as a Celtics fan:

-Putting Boston on the road uniform (all white boston over green jersey)

-Putting a logo on the shorts

-Changing up the piping around the neck and the shorts

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

8sZY3.pngkirYF.png

Basically, I tried to gracefully modernize the Celtics' look, working in more of their secondary colors (black and gold), while still retaining some of the key elements of their classic uniforms. The biggest change is the introduction of a classic Celtic knot pattern in various parts of the uniform - in a sublimated shamrock on the back, and on a sublimated stripe at the bottom of the shorts. (This is easier to see on the road uniforms). Thoughts?

Make a picture of the side view with the logo on the side and then this will be a nice set. I love the black because it is better than gold.

spacer.png

The problem is that gold is also the complete opposite of tradition. Gold doesn't really belong on a Celtics uniform any more than black does, if we are strictly talking "tradition."

What I'm saying is, gold fits more than black here. Black is FAR worse than gold imo, and I would say gold is something that fits more. I don't see gold as that far from tradition (see: Notre Dame), but it can be. It just seems a bit more "classic", I guess you could say, with a color like gold. I'm not saying they should add gold, but I'm saying that if you're going to add anything, at least add anything BUT black. To be completely honest, I think black is much farther away from gold as a "traditional" color - not to mention that A - it fits in better with the Celtics' color scheme, and B - Black is a terrible, horrible color for sports design that should never see the light of day in a uniform unless it is actually a major color in the team's logo (not an outline). Yes, my hatred for black is a bit strong in this instance, but I'm a Boston sports fan myself and in my view, the only team in Boston that should ever use black is the Bruins. I understand that this is a concept and not an actual submission, but I just think gold would fit better.

Oh, and about the concept, I love the sublimated shamrock on the back. The parquet court pattern is a very nice touch.

What I'm saying is, gold fits more than black here. Black is FAR worse than gold imo, and I would say gold is something that fits more. I don't see gold as that far from tradition (see: Notre Dame), but it can be. It just seems a bit more "classic", I guess you could say, with a color like gold. I'm not saying they should add gold, but I'm saying that if you're going to add anything, at least add anything BUT black. To be completely honest, I think black is much farther away from gold as a "traditional" color - not to mention that A - it fits in better with the Celtics' color scheme, and B - Black is a terrible, horrible color for sports design that should never see the light of day in a uniform unless it is actually a major color in the team's logo (not an outline). Yes, my hatred for black is a bit strong in this instance, but I'm a Boston sports fan myself and in my view, the only team in Boston that should ever use black is the Bruins. I understand that this is a concept and not an actual submission, but I just think gold would fit better.

Oh, and about the concept, I love the sublimated shamrock on the back. The parquet court pattern is a very nice touch.

I like the sublimated shamrock, too, but it's not in the form of parquet, it's in the design of a Celtic knot.

celtic%20knot%20cross%20stitch.jpg

spacer.png

I disagree with those who say the Black shouldn't be a part of the uniform. Green, White and Black is a beautiful, underused scheme and one of the few cases where BFBS is a good thing. How come the white jersey doesn't have the sublimated rope pattern?

I disagree with those who say the Black shouldn't be a part of the uniform. Green, White and Black is a beautiful, underused scheme and one of the few cases where BFBS is a good thing. How come the white jersey doesn't have the sublimated rope pattern?

Disagree. The Celtics aren't a 10-year old expansion team where you can mess with their look. They're as classic as it gets when it comes to NBA uniforms. Do you really think the current road alt is better than the current road?

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I like the sublimated shamrock, too, but it's not in the form of parquet, it's in the design of a Celtic knot.

celtic%20knot%20cross%20stitch.jpg

Ah, didn't see that. Either way, it's fitting and looks really nice.

Disagree. The Celtics aren't a 10-year old expansion team where you can mess with their look. They're as classic as it gets when it comes to NBA uniforms. Do you really think the current road alt is better than the current road?

Yes, the road alt looks way better in my books. The regular green road might have been around a long time but that doesn't automatically make it a good uniform.

Yes, the road alt looks way better in my books. The regular green road might have been around a long time but that doesn't automatically make it a good uniform.

No, but it does have the "classic factor". Green and black may be a good combination, but that doesn't mean you add it to just any green team simply to use it. The Celtics are known for their green and white traditional look. Adding black to them is the epitome of BFBS. Gold actually goes with the identity of the team, an Irish name, so adding it, while not necessary, would not be trendy. That being said, they're probably best served just staying green and white.

I really like the idea of putting a celtic-design "watermark" in the green and white background...

And actually, a gold design might look good on both the home and away;

-a white jersey with gold celtic design behind solid green letters and numbers

-a green jersey with gold celtic design behind solid white letters and numbers.

I'd lose the black though.

No, but it does have the "classic factor". Green and black may be a good combination, but that doesn't mean you add it to just any green team simply to use it. The Celtics are known for their green and white traditional look. Adding black to them is the epitome of BFBS. Gold actually goes with the identity of the team, an Irish name, so adding it, while not necessary, would not be trendy. That being said, they're probably best served just staying green and white.

The question was "which uniform looks better," not "which is more traditional."

Archived