Ohio State Sanctions

ESTONES6

Ohio State has received a 1 year bowl ban, observed in the 2012 season. This includes the Big Ten Championship.

Also, the school has been striped of 9 total scholarships over the next 3 years, 4 more than the self-imposed 5 scholarships.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2011/12/ohio_state_buckeyes_football_p_4.html

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

That's a joke... USC got hit harder than that for one player. Miami's punishment had better be significantly harsher than that.

It probably will. From Stewart Mandel on Twitter: "Committee opted not to impose longer ban after weighing 'overall seriousness of the case in light of other recent major infractions cases'"

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Wonder if skipping the Gator Bowl would have made a difference.

Probably. I'm still a little surprised that they changed their minds and decided to accept a bowl bid.

I think it would have, the NCAA would have considered this year their suspension year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Want to know what bothers me the most about these situations? The ones at fault or aware of these situations get to walk away basically with no harm to them, except for a reputation...and these days, that hardly stops them from profiting or gaining another position.

It's like Pete Carroll...that piece of :censored: walked away from that job and never had to look back or face any consequences other than sitting in front of a committee and lie his ass off. The ones who suffer are the players, donors, fans, and recruits involved in the situation- because they are left behind and are tied in emotionally to be affected for a lot longer. Did Pete Carroll suffer? He gained.

That's a joke... USC got hit harder than that for one player. Miami's punishment had better be significantly harsher than that.

It now appears that the NCAA cares less about the number of players involved, but rather the "cash value" of benefits received. On the tOSU report, the value of these additional benefits was less than $15,000 (not including the summer jobs) when Reggie Bush and his family reportedly received over $100,000 in benefits.

It probably will. From Stewart Mandel on Twitter: "Committee opted not to impose longer ban after weighing 'overall seriousness of the case in light of other recent major infractions cases'"

Don't look at Miami because UNC is first. They have given themselves the same self-imposed penalties as tOSU did after their NOA (Notice of Allegations) down to the point they are not turning down a bowl bid this season.

Wonder if skipping the Gator Bowl would have made a difference.

For tOSU, it would have; it really would seem to be a slap on the wrist.

Want to know what bothers me the most about these situations? The ones at fault or aware of these situations get to walk away basically with no harm to them, except for a reputation...and these days, that hardly stops them from profiting or gaining another position.

It's like Pete Carroll...that piece of :censored: walked away from that job and never had to look back or face any consequences other than sitting in front of a committee and lie his ass off. The ones who suffer are the players, donors, fans, and recruits involved in the situation- because they are left behind and are tied in emotionally to be affected for a lot longer. Did Pete Carroll suffer? He gained.

Pete Carrol was not up for a "show cause", that went to Todd McNair. However, here is a breakdown (from a USC fan from another board) of the comparative penalties:

USC

Bowl Ban - Two years

Scholly Reduction 1 - 30 (must be 10 per season)

Scholly Reduct 2 - Never can issue more than 15 per season - i.e., two caps, one at 75 total and 15 in any of the 3 seasons.. if SC is at 75 total, and 20 leave, they can only replace 15 of them (excluding walk ons)

"Free Agency" - anyone with 2 years or less elig remaining can leave without sitting out a year

Vacating win - two wins in 2004 and the entire 2005 season

Vacating MNC - Vacating the MNC in 2004 (BCS) AP title was kep

Vacating Heisman - RB lost his Heisman

Returning Bowl Monies from 2004 & 05

Restriction as to who can attend USC practices, be on sideline during games

Todd McNair - Show Cause

tOSU

Bowl Ban - One year

Schol Reducts - 9 total (over 3 seasons, any ratio that tOSU wants)

No schol caps as in #2 for SC

"Free Agency"- None

Vacating - 2010 season

Returning bowl monies from 2010 game vs Arky

Restrictions on former booster Bobby DeGeronmino regarding tickets, practices, be on sideline during games or ant athletic contact for ten years

Tressell - Show Cause

Tressell got hit with a 5 year show cause penalty. He'll never coach again at the college level.

As for the Bowl Ban, this is why you should have self imposed after not demolishing Indiana and losing to Purdue. Now you're going to miss the Citrus or Rose Bowl next season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm torn on it. It some cases I think its too harsh, in other cases, I think its too lenient. Too harsh in the sense that we are talking about a few hundred bucks from a couple players. Too lenient in the case that the coach knowingly covered it up.

As for the comparison to USC... you are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Sure it was only one player, but its hundreds of thousands of dollars, not just hundreds of dollars.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think it's way too quick to say Tressel doesn't coach again at the college level. Unless he dies within those 5 years or becomes a successful NFL coach, I would gather some up-and-coming program would take a chance on him. Different sport, but if Todd Bozeman can get another gig, I can't imagine why Tressel couldn't eventually.

*For those that don't know, Todd Bozeman was the former California Golden Bears coach (coached JKidd in his college days) who himself payed a player's parents' rent. Not a booster. Not an agent. The motherfuggin' coach himself. He got an 10 year show cause, I think.

Ninja edit: Bozeman's show-cause was 8 years. Wiki says he's the only one to get a job after a show-cause penalty. Maybe The Senator won't be back then...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

As for the comparison to USC... you are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Sure it was only one player, but its hundreds of thousands of dollars, not just hundreds of dollars.

Agreed. The two cases aren't really all that similar.

BB52Big.jpg

I think it's way too quick to say Tressel doesn't coach again at the college level. Unless he dies within those 5 years or becomes a successful NFL coach, I would gather some up-and-coming program would take a chance on him. Different sport, but if Todd Bozeman can get another gig, I can't imagine why Tressel couldn't eventually.

Tressel is going to be 64 when the penalty expires. Not a lot of up and comers are interested in a guy who is almost certainly not going to be around for the long haul because of age.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tressel is going to be 64 when the penalty expires. Not a lot of up and comers are interested in a guy who is almost certainly not going to be around for the long haul because of age.

My guess is he will coach for a team like FAU or Arkansas State. You know, a Sun Belt or MAC school.

My guess is he will coach for a team like FAU or Arkansas State. You know, a Sun Belt or MAC school.

Arkansas State has Gus Malzhan now, but a lesser school in the Sun Belt, MAC or even a FCS school don't have much to lose if in two years, they appeal to the NCAA to hire him.

Teams like Akron do not have much to lose by hiring him. They are not good now (being bowl eligible), they really are not going to turn it around in the next five years. They mat be on TV once a year, so they are not hurt much there, and it could give them a boost at the gate.

You all seem to forget Tressel's Youngstown State program wasn't squeaky clean either. Sweatervest is two for two on programs getting busted and thanks to the show cause penalty if anybody hires him in the next 5 years and things creep up again, the NCAA is going to set phasers to smite. ESPECIALLY if you are a low tier MAC or Sun Belt team.

Today, we are all otaku.

I still think they have nothing to lose if they hire him two years from now even with a "show cause". Numerous coaches continue to get jobs after being at multiple schools where LOA/probation occurred under their watch (Calipari, Tarkanian, RichRod). Since "probation" really does not mean much and the thought of purity in collegiate athletics has long been a misnomer, I still see no reason why not wait two years and hire him.

I still think they have nothing to lose if they hire him two years from now even with a "show cause". Numerous coaches continue to get jobs after being at multiple schools where LOA/probation occurred under their watch (Calipari, Tarkanian, RichRod). Since "probation" really does not mean much and the thought of purity in collegiate athletics has long been a misnomer, I still see no reason why not wait two years and hire him.

Because the NCAA can sanction you just for hiring him?

Today, we are all otaku.

Uh, yeah, the "show cause" of show-cause penalty means that a school can't hire him without showing cause to the NCAA as to why they shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him. It's a black mark for a reason. If your logic was valid, all those coaches who've had SCPs would have jobs right now (Todd Bozeman and Rob Senderoff being the exceptions). None of them do.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Uh, yeah, the "show cause" of show-cause penalty means that a school can't hire him without showing cause to the NCAA as to why they shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him. It's a black mark for a reason. If your logic was valid, all those coaches who've had SCPs would have jobs right now (Todd Bozeman and Rob Senderoff being the exceptions). None of them do.

Because nobody has tried. If you average 3 wins/season for a decade, it really cannot get worse even with threats of sanctions.

Back to Ohio State, will they try to add a game at Hawaii next season? OSU has an open date since they cannot participate in the Big Ten title game and currently Hawaii has South Alabama as their home opponent for December 1. In addition, next year the regular season will end on December 8 as the last regular season game must be played on the second Saturday in December.

Archived