Oh no, not again.

RedSox44

Deadspin has caught widn that Philadelphia Inquirer investigative reporter Nancy Phillips is very nearly about to publish an article detailing Philadelphia Daily News sports columnist Bill Conlin's child molestation. Conlin has apparently just quit the Daily News because of the allegations. Read:

http://deadspin.com/5869737/legendary-columnist-bill-conlin-resigns-over-forthcoming-philly-inquirer-bombshell

Legendary Columnist Bill Conlin Resigns Over Forthcoming Philly Inquirer Bombshell

AJ Daulerio

The Philadelphia Inquirer's top investigative reporter, Nancy Phillips, has written a story containing what we're told are allegations of child molestation against sportswriter Bill Conlin, a longtime columnist at the rival Daily News. Conlin resigned just moments ago, according to a source at the Daily News.

Conlin, who turns 78 this May, won the Ford C. Frick J.G. Taylor Spink Award last May. The story supposedly will drop soon (the newspapers are published under a joint-operating agreement by the same company, sharing some resources and a website but otherwise competing for a number of the same readers). Conlin has hired an attorney to defend himself against the piece. We'll have more details on this. For now, we can tell you that Conlin is at his condo in Largo, Fla.

spacer.png

I played a lot of youth sports when I was young. I better not remember something at 45.

I remember all of my time as an athlete as a kid. But none of it was sexual, though a few of my coaches were real :censored:s despite not being sexual deviants.

I hope the media cover one of their own with the same level vitriol they cover these no name assistant coaches.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Check out the last two comments on his last article (published yesterday). Looks like the funny guys of Deadspin struck before they could close the comments.

Busy Day for Marlins, but still trail Phils - Bill Conlin

His e-mail is still linked, though. I'm sure he has more than a few new e-mails, and it ain't about sports.

spacer.png

Conlin is an awful columnist as well.

Not to overshadow the bigger point here, but I feel like this HAS to be said at some point in this thread.

He is considered by many to be among the greatest baseball writers of all time. Granted that was decades ago, and I'll give you that his work now is not up to those standards as he's just an out-of-touch old man who ocasionally writes a ranting column, but that shouldn't take away from his work back in the day, which is universally lauded. He was horrible when he was a regular on Sports Reporters though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Conlin is an awful columnist as well.

Not to overshadow the bigger point here, but I feel like this HAS to be said at some point in this thread.

He is considered by many to be among the greatest baseball writers of all time. Granted that was decades ago, and I'll give you that his work now is not up to those standards as he's just an out-of-touch old man who ocasionally writes a ranting column, but that shouldn't take away from his work back in the day, which is universally lauded. He was horrible when he was a regular on Sports Reporters though.

He was dreadful on television, but hey, someone needed to fill the stereotypical old, fat, blowhard role.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Here's Nancy Phillips' article on his molestation: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20111220_Four_say_Philly_Daily_News_writer_Bill_Conlin_sexually_abused_them_as_children.html

The children were evidently aged between 7 and 12, and one of his victims was his own niece. Most of the molestation happened back in the 1970s.

Deadspin has two BBWAA press releases on the issue on their blog: http://deadspin.com/5870128/the-bbwaa-tries-again-with-a-bill-conlin-statement-this-time-acknowledging-that-child-molestation-claims-are-bad

For :censored:s and giggles, here's a Conlin article on the Penn State scandal.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-11/sports/30387518_1_penn-state-trustees-paterno-joepa

spacer.png

Archived