College Hockey Concepts

MDGP

Ok, back to the team concepts. I'm going to stay on the topic of teams I hate, and present the only team I like less than BC, the University of No Hardware, UNH. The Wildcats have excellent, simple uniforms, so I didn't want to do too much different. The only real difference is the addition of silver, which create a double stripe look. Also, I decided to go with Silver for the home instead of white, I figure it could look pretty good as a light jersey. The only other change is that both shoulder logos face forward.

ScreenShot2012-01-16at90150PM.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad... the only criticism I have is that the UNH crest on the road looks very washed out... not enough difference between white and grey for that to work. If anything, I'd take the home crest and add a grey outline around it (or make the letters grey and add a white outline outside the blue one). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks illwauk, I see what you mean about that, and I agree. I don't think it affects the numbers, but the crest definitely looks washed out.

For this update, I didn't go with the exact suggestion, but I went with something similar. I used white numbers with a silver outline, and added a small blue outline between them to make it easier to define each color.

ScreenShot2012-01-29at75037PM.png

What do you think, better?

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Looks nice, but it looks more like the "UNH" was put on a piece of fabric (like a nameplate) and then sewn onto the jersey as opposed to an outline (i.e. it looks nothing like an outline). You really need to fix that.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I actually prefer UNH's real jerseys this time. I actually wouldn't change much with their real ones, they are pretty sharp, especially up close in person. They use a metallic twill that really pops. Having gone to tons of college hockey games, their road blues are among my favorites out there, though they do seem a bit incomplete on the front in their current state.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Looks nice, but it looks more like the "UNH" was put on a piece of fabric (like a nameplate) and then sewn onto the jersey as opposed to an outline (i.e. it looks nothing like an outline). You really need to fix that.

Sorry, I obviously didn't clear that part up. The look I made was actually supposed to be sort of like a panel type look, not an outline. The reason for this is that UNH already has an outline around their crests, and it looks pretty weak. I wanted to give the crest some more depth, make it "pop" more.

I actually prefer UNH's real jerseys this time. I actually wouldn't change much with their real ones, they are pretty sharp, especially up close in person. They use a metallic twill that really pops. Having gone to tons of college hockey games, their road blues are among my favorites out there, though they do seem a bit incomplete on the front in their current state.

Looking at this, I have to agree with you. I live about 15 minutes away from Durham, so I see a lot of UNH games (I despise them, but its worth it). The blue and white looks phenomenal, probably my favorite look in college hockey... I'm feeling that the silver is kinda taking away from that having taken a better look at the design. I will definitely come out with an update for this making Navy and White the primary focus (though I might keep silver as an accent).

Well, since I've bumped this up, let's get some more C+C before I post the next team (probably on thursday).

• 2 weeks later...

Could u try updating st cloud state and Minnesota jetrseys?

Yeah, that would be pretty fun to try. Unfortunately, every one of my professors decided to hit me with a report or test, so I haven't had any time to work on concepts, and probably won't for at least two weeks (I haven't even had the chance to post my finished works). Hopefully after that stretch I can get back into it and try my hand at some requests.

As an alumnus of UMass Lowell, I'd love to see what you do with my River Hawks, if you wouldn't mind!

I've actually had UML done for awhile now, but I wanted to save them towards the end of my Hockey East portion and will probably be one of the next two teams I post.

After a delay that was much longer than I was anticipating, I present the seventh team of the series, the UMass Lowell River Hawks. I personally am not a fan of UMLs uniforms. The home unis are Montreal Canadiens clones with blue helmets. The road unis have a generic three stripes and shoulder yokes design. I feel like there is a red uniform too, but I'm not sure if they still use it. Anyway, neither design really strikes me. I also have an issue with the fact that the design seems to struggle deciding whether red or blue is the primary, ala Texas Rangers.

For this design I wanted to:

1) Choose a primary color. Like I said, having blue and red clash for primary status isn't a good idea, so for this concept, I made blue the primary color.

2) Modernize the uniforms. Like I've said previously, I'm not particularly a fan of every Hockey East team wearing a traditional uniform... UML is one of those teams that got bumped out of the traditional category.

3) Change the script on the uniforms, I hate how it looks currently.

The uniforms feature red paneling with white accent piping on the jersey, pants, and socks. I also decided to make the wordmark on the front diagonal, as it made the uniform look more even than any other attempt.

UMassLowellRiverhawks_zpsb9caa5f9.png

Well I will comment on this, of course. It's fantastic. I wouldn't have thought of an approach like this with UML, but it works wonderfully! I hope you don't mind, but I copied it to the school's official athletics Facebook page!

The red uniform that you mentioned is one that UML used to use as their roads. They switched it before the 2010-2011 season to the current blue, along with the rest of the school's teams transitioning their primary color to blue.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Well I will comment on this, of course. It's fantastic. I wouldn't have thought of an approach like this with UML, but it works wonderfully! I hope you don't mind, but I copied it to the school's official athletics Facebook page!

I don't mind at all, the biggest thing was that I'd obviously like for credit to be given, and you did that, so I have no problem whatsoever with you posting it!

Do Oregon. I know they don't have hockey, but I think it would be fun to see what you could do.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I will definitely look into doing concepts for requested teams once I finish these next three teams. With that, I now present the Merrimack Warriors. Merrimack's uniforms are two completely different styles. Their home uniforms are yellow with a white-blue-white torso stripe (and sleeve stripes to match) with the school's MC logo as its crest. The road uniform is navy, with yellow double hem and sleeve stripes. I know in the past that the numbers on these looked like highlighter yellow when viewed in person (though images of the uniforms don't seem to portray that). The crest on these uniforms is a Merrimack wordmark.

I am not a fan of having two different designs, especially when they are that different, so my first goal was to make a single uniform design for both home and road uniforms. My second goal was to make Merrimack look more modern. Both uniforms give a sense that the Warriors have lots of history in Hockey East, which is very far from the truth. In fact, Merrimack was consistently the worst team in the league for years, and only recently experienced success. That fact made me decide to come up with a modern design for the team.

I love the use of yellow at home, so I kept that look, while giving each uniform shoulder stripes with white piping as well as white and Yellow/Blue (depending on the uniform). Both uniforms use a version of the MC logo The shorts are navy with a white-yellow-white stripe design, and the socks feature a stripe similar to that of the shoulder stripes.

MarrimackWarriors_zpsb8b87ecb.png

Archived