brandIDENTITY: Rockie Mountain Refresh

tBBP

I'm bringing this back up to the forefront in order to solicit for any more feedback I can get, to see where I am with this and to see how much else I can use for any future baseball concepts I may come up with--still trying to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 1 month later...

I realize I'm way after the fact, but here's a few notes:

First, I'm a huge Rox fan, so all of this is through the fan filter, whether I meant it to be or not.

1. The font choice is great, though the bookending capitals looks a little weird on Colorado.

2. Purple: YES. Anyone that wants to drain the purple from the Rockies is nuts. I understand that people sometimes just don't like the color, but the Rox are the ONLY team with purple in a league of red and blue.

3. Green: Yes. It complements the purple well and it gets away from I'd like to see it as a darker, slightly more muted green, but it's essentially already a team color because of Coors Field merchandise featuring it heavily alongside team branding. Adding green is a good way of dumping the black and silver, which can get a bit muddled, without adding a color that does not go with purple (light blue, I'm looking at you). However, I would like to see a version of this with Vegas Gold in instead of the green. It makes sense both conceptually and visually.

4. Cap logo: Meh. It fits within the league and it doesn't look bad, but it just doesn't immediately say "Rockies." Either does the current cap logo, but still. I realize that it's hard to fit a logo that makes sense, says "Rockies," and looks professional into the space on a ballcap...but there has to be a way.

• 8 months later...

**NEARLY A WHOLE YEAR LATER...A FRESH UPDATE.**

Smh...

...Anyway, the other day I went back into my computer and decided to finish off this update that I started over a month ago, when I was in Colorado. This time, rather than stick with the pine green that many felt made the previous concept set too similar to the old Diamondbacks, I went with a nice ice blue color to bounce off the purple. In addition, I don't remember who it was that said it (I think it was Cujo), but the one thing the Rockies have done over the years is maintain a consistent visual identity, so I gotta respect that. To that end, the placket piping goes bye-bye, so do the primary home and away vests...and the pinstripes return, in keeping with the "tradition" of the Rockies' uniforms since their inception. I did, however, keep a vested alternate home jersey, since the Rox also have a thing for vests—but with the alt logo on the chest, just to try something different and unique. (Much less noticeable is that I edited the shade of purple justasmidge.

COLrockies_stylebook2-1a.png

COLrockies_stylebook2-2a.png

COLrockies_stylebook2-3.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, just for sheets and geegles and just to satisfy my own curiosity, I also drafted a version with plum in place of purple (edit: dang—say that five times fast)...

COLrockies_stylebook3-1.png

COLrockies_stylebook3-2.png

COLrockies_stylebook3-3.png

There's your near-year-later update. ~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Definitely the purple & sky blue... perfect combo for a team called the Rockies. Although I'm still not sure the Rocks really need a color other than purple. Especially since the D'Backs no longer use it.

I love both sets now, I lean a bit towards the plum set maybe just because it is so different for the MLB. However the Purple/Sky Blue set is equally a winner.

I still think the small serifs in "Colorado" within the primary need to go, and make the laces on the ball more stylized and not as thin.

Just a thought, but maybe substitute a slate gray/light blue in for the green?

Told ya. :D

Seriously though, this is a great update. I'm actually digging the plum although both are solid sets. It balances really nicely with the blue, and it's one of those nice, but rarely used shades.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived