Invitational Contest?

chickenfish13

Myself and Joe Bosack are both available to judge. Im inclined to agree that a fairly open contest should be allowed. I wouldnt like to discriminate on talent alone (especially given that there are younger people who might be keen to enter). Perhaps a minimum level of competence in a vector program should be a benchmark fro entry. It at least shows a level of design proficiency.

I agree with Fraser that limiting it by invite may not be the best way to go. It could come off as elitist to some, even if that's not the idea. I think possibly submitting a small portfolio to gain entry could work, or some way of showing not only good design skills but your processes as well. Just some ideas.

I can agree with this, and if as judges you guys would prefer to have it a little more open, that's ok. My original idea was to kind of have this as an "elite" competition, with only the, say, top 10 best on here invited. I didn't want it to just be anyone could enter, because we've had a lot of competitions like that, and I wanted to switch it up. But if we can have a sort of middle ground, I'd be cool with that. We could even have like 5-10 elite invited, and then 5-10 sort of middle designers invited. I think it'd make sense to leave it up to you guys. Having Fraser, Joe, Gordie and CreativelySain as judges would be great, and I'm sure your guys' decision would be awesome.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myself and Joe Bosack are both available to judge. Im inclined to agree that a fairly open contest should be allowed. I wouldnt like to discriminate on talent alone (especially given that there are younger people who might be keen to enter). Perhaps a minimum level of competence in a vector program should be a benchmark fro entry. It at least shows a level of design proficiency.

I agree with Fraser that limiting it by invite may not be the best way to go. It could come off as elitist to some, even if that's not the idea. I think possibly submitting a small portfolio to gain entry could work, or some way of showing not only good design skills but your processes as well. Just some ideas.

I can agree with this, and if as judges you guys would prefer to have it a little more open, that's ok. My original idea was to kind of have this as an "elite" competition, with only the, say, top 10 best on here invited. I didn't want it to just be anyone could enter, because we've had a lot of competitions like that, and I wanted to switch it up. But if we can have a sort of middle ground, I'd be cool with that. We could even have like 5-10 elite invited, and then 5-10 sort of middle designers invited. I think it'd make sense to leave it up to you guys. Having Fraser, Joe, Gordie and CreativelySain as judges would be great, and I'm sure your guys' decision would be awesome.

I understand your thinking, its just that picking a very select number means their is a cut off point at which you have to determine a number 10 entrant from a number 11 non entrant. It seems more fair to say that all entrants must be very proficient in vector packages. Each must have experience in logo design (not just colouring in templates etc). It should be considered that entry to the comp is intended for advanced designers only... It seems unfair to weed out folks you think might not be up to it as you never know where someones talent might lie.

I would also suggest that you make this a logo design contest and not a kit design thing.

Same thing that I was thinking. It's too difficult to determine where the cutoff is with this type of thing, then all you 'll have is a bunch of people whining of "favoritism." Is there a way for people to show off their best work as an entry presentation? Or they could submit why they should be included in the competition? Just throwing those ideas out there. I also agree this needs to be logo design, or some type of branding instead of a uniform design that doesn't take as much effort and execution.

-CS

Jordan

I think best of the best is kind of what is intended. I've been around these boards for almost 10 years, and I've seen a lot of great talent come, and a lot of great talent go. I still think the top talent is as good if not better than what it has ever been, and this should showcase that.

To add to the idea, or maybe the start of a different competition I was thinking of, you could do a collaboration of sorts. Take one of the "best of the best" so to speak, and get an aspiring designer together and let them collaborate on ideas and let the inexperienced talent see the process from start to finish. But that's for a different time altogether.

I think best of the best is kind of what is intended. I've been around these boards for almost 10 years, and I've seen a lot of great talent come, and a lot of great talent go. I still think the top talent is as good if not better than what it has ever been, and this should showcase that.

To add to the idea, or maybe the start of a different competition I was thinking of, you could do a collaboration of sorts. Take one of the "best of the best" so to speak, and get an aspiring designer together and let them collaborate on ideas and let the inexperienced talent see the process from start to finish. But that's for a different time altogether.

i love that idea

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i love that idea

+1.

So I'm excited about this idea. I'm more interested in the contest right now than designing this boring signage for a shopping center. So lets get some time-frame thoughts out there.

- When

- Number of participants

- Criteria

- Deadline(s)

Let's do this!

More up to the judges than to me now, but I thought I would respond. I think we can wait a week or more to get this started. We still need to lay out everything, and we'd have to get the OK from the invitees. I'd like to do around 10 participants, but as you and Fraser mentioned it doesn't have to be an exact number. I originally wanted to do a sports logo, maybe something considered "unchangeable" , but I'm a little more open to ideas. A member e-mailed me and brought up the idea of rebranding an iconic food chain, such as McDonalds. While that could produce some really cool results, I still think I'd rather do a sports team.

I think it's really up to you, Gordie, Fraser and Mr.Bosack now. If you guys want to talk privately on what you want to do and then have one of you post the outline on here, that'd be cool. What do you think?

Also, your collaboration idea is pretty cool, but I agree with you in that I think that'd be something different. Maybe the Winner of this contest can work with the aforementioned aspiring designer? But that's in the future I think.

i love that idea

+1.

would LOVE this

Chickenfish-

This is an interesting idea you have proposed. Obviously you can't please everyone, especially on a message board, so proceed with how you see fit. And if you're still looking for advice, here's what I would suggest: Pick one team name, and have all contestants do that city and nickname. For example, um, I don't know... Wyoming Werewolves for example. This way no one gets fixated on a particular name or city, it's an even playing field. Good luck.

Aboslutely agree wth Chevy. I think the us judges can act as clients. We select a city, name, color options and any restrictions. You know how clients are. we need to be difficult to please, haha.

Just kidding about that last part. But serisously, I don't mind some restrictions on ideas the way a client tries to have ideas, however good or bad they are.

I'll try and think of a few things myself. Perhaps the judges should have a PM session to go over the rules, criteria, etc.?

Yeah, that would probably work the best. Thanks for the support with this guys, wasn't sure how it received but I'm excited to get it going. I don't know if I really expect to get invited, so if you happen to need a 5th non-judge to help, just PM me.

Also, I agree Chevy, that was kind of my original thought.

You know how clients are. we need to be difficult to please, haha.

ain't that the truth.

LOL

for you "designers in training" the horror stories of "make it smaller, no now make it bigger, now its too big. just give us what you had originally" is truth

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

You know how clients are. we need to be difficult to please, haha.

ain't that the truth.

LOL

for you "designers in training" the horror stories of "make it smaller, no now make it bigger, now its too big. just give us what you had originally" is truth

i once had a "request" to make the type 1-2% bigger, not 1-2 points bigger, 1%. it is almost impossible to see that. i turned in the same thing, the response, "much better!". morons.

Archived