2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

The impressive, no-rain rain delay right now in Detroit.

Last two times there was a rain delay between the Yankees and Tigers, the momentum directly went to the Tigers. Would be nice for a little role reversal here.

UPDATE: But the rat bastards at TBS sure know the best way to please me. Seinfeld!

The Tigers GAINED momentum last year when Verlander was wasted in a 2 inning reset in Game 1? How do you figure that? If anything, that was something they overcame.

Last two times there was a rain delay between the Yankees and Tigers, the momentum directly went to the Tigers. Would be nice for a little role reversal here.

UPDATE: But the rat bastards at TBS sure know the best way to please me. Seinfeld!

The Tigers GAINED momentum last year when Verlander was wasted in a 2 inning reset in Game 1? How do you figure that? If anything, that was something they overcame.

Well, Sabathia also had a start wasted, and what would've been Verlander/Sabathia in the Bronx, became Sabathia/Verlander in Detroit. That swings from a small Yankee advantage to a distinct Tiger advantage (because JV is a better pitcher than Sabathia, period).

I mean, I didn't think that post all the way through, but I would still say I don't see how the rain out benefited the Yankees in any possible way.

spacer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Sabathia also had a start wasted, and what would've been Verlander/Sabathia in the Bronx, became Sabathia/Verlander in Detroit. That swings from a small Yankee advantage to a distinct Tiger advantage (because JV is a better pitcher than Sabathia, period).

I mean, I didn't think that post all the way through, but I would still say I don't see how the rain out benefited the Yankees in any possible way.

Come on. Think about it.... Regardless of location, the postponed game prevented Verlander from pitching two full games in a 5 game series to only one full game. How was that anything but a huge advantage to the Yankees? (Not that it matters anymore because it is over and done with and this is stupid.)

Two-way street.

It also prevented Sabathia from pitching two full games. And both of those games would've been at Yankee Stadium. Tigers already had the deeper rotation in that series (I mean, Ivan Nova was the Yankees #2 pitcher, for cripes' sakes), and limiting Sabathia from two starts to one, and that one start coming in a ballpark that he has never exactly thrived in...

Fister and Scherzer >>> Nova and Garcia. It's hard to argue otherwise. Yankees losing that second Sabathia start hurt them more than the Tigers losing that second Verlander start for that reason alone - Yankees didn't have the quality depth that the Tigers had.

I hope this isn't striking a nerve. It's actually a compliment to the Tigers for having the deeper team when it mattered most.

spacer.png

Two-way street.

It also prevented Sabathia from pitching two full games. And both of those games would've been at Yankee Stadium. Tigers already had the deeper rotation in that series (I mean, Ivan Nova was the Yankees #2 pitcher, for cripes' sakes), and limiting Sabathia from two starts to one, and that one start coming in a ballpark that he has never exactly thrived in...

Fister and Scherzer >>> Nova and Garcia. It's hard to argue otherwise. Yankees losing that second Sabathia start hurt them more than the Tigers losing that second Verlander start for that reason alone - Yankees didn't have the quality depth that the Tigers had.

I hope this isn't striking a nerve. It's actually a compliment to the Tigers for having the deeper team when it mattered most.

I'm not upset, I just think you're really wrong and there's nothing else to do with no game tonight.

I feel pretty safe in saying almost every MLB team would sacrifice their ace if that means the Tigers have to sacrifice Verlander and force Scherzer or Fister to beat them in a series (especially because Scherzer was very average in 2011) And it's not like the Tigers (or their fans at least) really were that worried about facing CC twice, at least with JV on the hill.

I feel like that's not giving Sabathia anywhere near the credit he deserves as a pitcher.

There isn't a pitcher in the world I would take before Justin Verlander, as of today. He's the tops. But Sabathia isn't exactly chopped liver, and (surprise surprise) he's a better pitcher at Yankee Stadium than he is away from Yankee Stadium. I, like most Yankee fans, had just as much confidence in him getting the job done in those games as Tigers fans would've had Verlander been pitching. That's what ace pitchers do to a fan base - give them reason and hope that their team will win every time they toe the rubber.

This is a great unanswerable debate. All we know for certain is that MLB completely botched their management of that game in relation to the radar, and forced both teams to alter their rotations on the fly. And that was a definite advantage for Detroit. I'm not complaining about that - Tigers had better roster construction. Yankees only got where they got because of two out-of-nowhere seasons from Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon, along with the Red Sox amazing collapse. Detroit is a notoriously bad matchup for the Yankees, and I'd go as far as to say the 2009 Tigers would've beaten the Yankees if they had met in that postseason as well. It happens.

spacer.png

Just want to point out that CC used to pitch within the AL Central for years, so the Tigers are pretty familiar with him and have had more success off of him in his career than most teams have (despite being 0-3 against him this year, but with the Yanks scoring 9, 8, and 6 runs in each of those respective games). Not slighting CC at all... He's a very good pitcher. Just the facts.

That every stadium is so over-the-top representative of its location (San Francisco's park is on the water! You can see the Arch in St. Louis! Baltimore is so industrial, even the ballpark has a warehouse!) retroactively makes the Oakland Coliseum, that big depressing concrete slab, fit just fine. I like that there's still one last place that doesn't aspire to be more than what it is. No postcard panoramas, no player-"owned" concept restaurants, no television screens the size of Rhode Island, no self-feeding mythos about the atmosphere or the fandom; it's just a place where ballgames are contested, and if you want to come and be a part of it, you can. The paucity and/or outright rejection of gimmicks is the gimmick. I like it.

Exactly. Nothing says "real" baseball quite like pissing in a trough does. :rolleyes:

I'll try hipsters for 800, Alex.

EDIT: "Ballgames are contested?" You are really something, Captain.

I agree with the admiral here. I just want to watch baseball. Yeah, views of the area can be nice, but aren't a necessity. You don't have to have a farrago of faux, old timey gimmicks competing for attention.

It's not like a nice view or above-average architecture detracts from watching a baseball game... Baseball is a game with plenty of room for competing attentions. You have 5 minutes of "action" for a half of an inning, followed by a 3 minute break in between... And then there's delays for pitching changes, weather, and -- God-forbid -- instant replay.

It's just proof that there's no pleasing people.

It's just another thing to complain about. "They're making ballparks too nice!" It's faux nostalgia that's even more grating than the forced nostalgia new ballparks are putting forth.

I think it's great that ballparks are nicer. I just like the novelty of about 28 nice parks, one horrible park, and Tropicana Field, which isn't a park.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looks like you won't be playing in Final Jeopardy, then. Oakland's utter lack of conspicuous consumption disqualifies it from belonging to what we're calling the modern "hipster" culture. You must be looking for the rusty spaceship in Brooklyn. That you can probably still get high in the upper deck at some dog-days game with the Mariners is the last refuge of real realness.

That's actually one of the reasons they closed the upper deck entirely. It was so empty that you could walk to the last row and practically pull out a bong and light up without anyone even noticing. Raiders games are similar in that you can blaze up to your hearts content in the upper deck, but that's mostly because security is too afraid to come up and say anything to you.

It's also a product of the culture of the area. The most surreal sports moment I've ever had was sitting in a sold out AT&T Park watching Tim Lincecum close out the final three outs in the ninth vs the A's while smoking a joint, and not only NOT getting hassled for doing so, but actually having the father of three young kids in the row ahead of me ask for a hit.

Tried that once at a D Backs game and it was like the real world equivalent of getting six stars on Grand Theft Auto.

You sir, are awesome!

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Yep. 6-0 over The Most Horrible Monstrosity That Has Ever Played Baseball. I feel really bad for these poor Yankees fans, having their team win only one measly playoff series.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived