2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Apples to oranges.

I love wide-open, 15 goal hockey games as much as the next guy. In fact, the Lightning and Flyers played such a game just a year ago. When it comes to watching a neutral hockey game, I would much rather see something exciting than those 1-0, 2-1 type games that only Jacques Lemaire could appreciate.

Maybe the NHL needs another season-long lockout to add offensively-friendly rules and regulations again. Besides, with the momentum they might gain without the NBA, it shouldn't take too long for them to squander it.

spacer.png

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple musings from tonight's Philly-Tampa Bay game:

I'm pretty sure the Man in the Glass was developed because no one wants to share a press box with Pierre McGuire. Hell, even when there is only 2 people calling the game and he's the color guy, he's between the benches.

What the Philly players did from the bench in the first period is akin to a football team seeing the opposing defense lined up in a prevent defense and refusing to run a play then yelling at the defense for not trying.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I'm pretty sure the Man in the Glass was developed because no one wants to share a press box with Pierre McGuire. Hell, even when there is only 2 people calling the game and he's the color guy, he's between the benches.

He's Lucky Pierre, he loves to be between the men.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I bring this question up for a re-examination on a night we discuss the trap in the NHL:

Who are the Nashville Predators? And in addition, Who is Craig Smith? Why is he scoring goals? Colin Wilson?

Blah.

---

Also to note, the Ducks started out 4-1. Their best start since the 06-07 Cup season... They've gone 1-6-3 since then. Fire Randy Carlyle. Fire Bob Murray. I don't care that they've overcome these terrible starts for playoff spots before, I am tired of having to defend these terrible starts. And of all these opening season slumps, this might be the most pathetic of them. No fight. No energy. No urgency. Seemingly no care. Blah.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I bring this question up for a re-examination on a night we discuss the trap in the NHL:

Who are the Nashville Predators? And in addition, Who is Craig Smith? Why is he scoring goals? Colin Wilson?

Blah.

---

Also to note, the Ducks started out 4-1. Their best start since the 06-07 Cup season... They've gone 1-6-3 since then. Fire Randy Carlyle. Fire Bob Murray. I don't care that they've overcome these terrible starts for playoff spots before, I am tired of having to defend these terrible starts. And of all these opening season slumps, this might be the most pathetic of them. No fight. No energy. No urgency. Seemingly no care. Blah.

I hate this team.

Blah.

---

Plus, you lost to the Blue Jackets.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also to note, the Ducks started out 4-1. Their best start since the 06-07 Cup season... They've gone 1-6-3 since then. Fire Randy Carlyle. Fire Bob Murray.

And please, for the love of Lord Stanley, give the captain's C to someone other than Getzlaf. He may be a good player - that is, when he can be bothered to do anything other than dump the puck for a line change, and he's clearly not bringing any energy to the locker room.

I miss Niedermayer.

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Also to note, the Ducks started out 4-1. Their best start since the 06-07 Cup season... They've gone 1-6-3 since then. Fire Randy Carlyle. Fire Bob Murray.

And please, for the love of Lord Stanley, give the captain's C to someone other than Getzlaf. He may be a good player - that is, when he can be bothered to do anything other than dump the puck for a line change, and he's clearly not bringing any energy to the locker room.

I miss Niedermayer.

1) I don't think the dumping for a line change thing is all him though. That's part of the glorious "system" of Randy Carlyle. Rather than making line changes on the fly, the puck must be dumped and everyone change wholesale in favor of the all-important line match-ups (which speaks to our horrible road record this year, because Carlyle can't get the match-ups.) Same with constantly grinding BELOW THE GOAL LINE WITH THEIR BACKS TO THE NET AT ALL TIMES <_<

2) The second part I'll agree with also, but I'd also say that it doesn't seem like anybody else, be it roster or coaching staff, is bringing much energy either. That's part of his "new" demeanor. And while Scott Niedermayer was a calm, cool guy, I think that's all Getzy took from him and I think he's trying to embody that too much. Over the years, Getzlaf had been a guy with a shorter fuse and was more "loose-cannon-y," and really, I almost think that's for the best. Don't try to be the calm, collected leader than Niedermayer was, because Getzlaf isn't and hasn't ever been that.

I mean, say what you will about the Columbus loss, but at least they acted pissed that they were losing. They didn't do all that much to actually change their play or the result, but at least they tried to fight something and get angry about it all. Too bad it didn't carry over to the overall demeanor or actual game play.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1) I don't think the dumping for a line change thing is all him though. That's part of the glorious "system" of Randy Carlyle. Rather than making line changes on the fly, the puck must be dumped and everyone change wholesale in favor of the all-important line match-ups (which speaks to our horrible road record this year, because Carlyle can't get the match-ups.) Same with constantly grinding BELOW THE GOAL LINE WITH THEIR BACKS TO THE NET AT ALL TIMES <_<

2) The second part I'll agree with also, but I'd also say that it doesn't seem like anybody else, be it roster or coaching staff, is bringing much energy either. That's part of his "new" demeanor. And while Scott Niedermayer was a calm, cool guy, I think that's all Getzy took from him and I think he's trying to embody that too much. Over the years, Getzlaf had been a guy with a shorter fuse and was more "loose-cannon-y," and really, I almost think that's for the best. Don't try to be the calm, collected leader than Niedermayer was, because Getzlaf isn't and hasn't ever been that.

Yeah, I guess Carlyle's system really isn't helping things either. It's become stale. Everyone else knows how we play, because it's been exactly the same style for the past five years. These days it works OK enough for a win or we're horribly outplayed.

I think my problem with Getzlaf is mainly that he doesn't seem to do a whole lot on the ice (or there's something I'm missing since a lot of games start at 3am GMT and I can't watch them :P). Ahlers and Hazy will compliment him for being a big guy who's great at the faceoff circle, but it feels more like he's just there, not really doing anything significant. Also, he gets along great with Bobby and Perry, why the hell does it take so long for that top line to really click and start producing points? Is there really a lack of chemistry despite the fact that they're all great buddies? Something I find ironic since the team's "chemistry" is what's being plugged in that FSN Ducks commercial. But I digress.

I must admit I've not noticed Getzlaf's "loose-cannon-y" attitude for a while. Rather than trying to be calm and collected like Niedermayer was, he comes across as being way too laid back to be the captain of an NHL team.

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The Blue Jackets sure will cure what ails ya. Ugly win, but I'll take it after the Hawks crapped their pants in three straight losses. This whole Columbus thing is just trouble, I think.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Blue Jackets sure will cure what ails ya. Ugly win, but I'll take it after the Hawks crapped their pants in three straight losses. This whole Columbus thing is just trouble, I think.

Yeah I was surprised Columbus didn't fire their coach between periods. That was just plain bad.

Going be in attendance for Hawks/Flames tomorrow night. Hopefully it's not comparable to that Canucks meltdown.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yeah I was surprised Columbus didn't fire their coach between periods. That was just plain bad.

Going be in attendance for Hawks/Flames tomorrow night. Hopefully it's not comparable to that Canucks meltdown.

Flames haven't won in Chicago since March of 2008. As much as I'd like to see it happen, probably very doubtful. Though Backlund is back, Paul Byron and TJ Brodie make there season debut, so it will be a younger team that is for sure.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The Columbus Blue Jackets with the second move of day now trade D Fedor Tyutin to the New York Islanders in exchange for G Evgeni Nabokov

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Columbus Blue Jackets with the second move of day now trade D Fedor Tyutin to the New York Islanders in exchange for G Evgeni Nabokov

So the Isles' big trading chip lands us with... that?

OWTGDI

(Never mind the fact they completely choked away a victory against the Avs tonight. Another third period of absolutely no effort. Thank god Syracuse basketball season's 2 days away)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Now this trade I like.

They've lost all confidence in Steve Mason, so you can't blame Howson for trying one last ditch effort to save his job, without trading the Nash to get more picks.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So the Isles' big trading chip lands us with... that?

OWTGDI

A underrated solid defenseman for an aging crabby goalie? Sounds like the Isles definitely won.

If Nabby is the isles big trading chip.. Ouch.

spacer.png

Archived