Ladies and gentlemen, your New York Nets

Ferdinand Cesarano

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DANG... maybe this one works... WSJ: Jay-Z Determined To Make The Nets Stylish

Here's the paragraph in question:

The Nets are celebrating the role that he's (Jay-Z) played in everything from revamping the logo ("He's refreshed it," Yormark said) to designing new uniforms ("His fingerprints are all over it") to coming up with a new color scheme ("A bold redirection"), all of which the team plans to unveil this spring.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

On 2/10/2012 at 8:58 AM, goforbroke said:
On 2/10/2012 at 11:23 PM, mrfab said:

The Nets are celebrating the role that he's (Jay-Z) played in everything from revamping the logo ("He's refreshed it," Yormark said) to designing new uniforms ("His fingerprints are all over it") to coming up with a new color scheme ("A bold redirection"), all of which the team plans to unveil this spring.

My first instinct is to say "uh-oh", supposing that the uni will be absurd. But, then I read this from Paul Lukas's UniWatch entry today: "I've already seen prototypes of the uniforms (actual protos, not just mock-ups or photos), and I can say two things about them: (1) They're almost certainly not what you're expecting, and (2) I like them."

So, I don't know what to think. If we avoid gratuitous colour splotches/swooshes, and also silly number fonts, then maybe it will be OK. But I hope that the new unis, despite being called "a bold redireciton", will have some minimal connection to the franchise's history.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

My first instinct is to say "uh-oh", supposing that the uni will be absurd. But, then I read this from Paul Lukas's UniWatch entry today: "I?ve already seen prototypes of the uniforms (actual protos, not just mock-ups or photos), and I can say two things about them: (1) They?re almost certainly not what you?re expecting, and (2) I like them."

So, I don't know what to think. If we avoid gratuitous colour splotches/swooshes, and also silly number fonts, then maybe it will be OK. But I hope that the new unis, despite being called "a bold redireciton", will have some minimal connection to the franchise's history.

I'm actually excited about this and very intrigued. I know a lot of people are fond of the old ABA style Nets jerseys but I honestly have never liked one jersey they've ever worn. They've missed the mark completely each time IMO. Hopefully they'll make up for what I think is a history of sub par identities. I can't wait till Spring

This life long Nets fan STILL hasn't gotten over them NOT pulling the mid 1990's trigger on"YOUR New Jersey Swamp Dragons!". I drummed up Brooklyn Knights on this here very fine board many moons ago, "Knights" being One Of The Last Great Major Pro Nicknames Left Unused IMHO. "Brooklyn" will market SO much bigger beyond The Tri-State Area. Anyway, it was great watching Rick Barry Nets on fuzzy black and white TV. Dr. J Nets were LIVE & In COLOR!

WSJ "Jay-Z Determined To Make The Nets Stylish"

http://online.wsj.co...DNewsCollection

"Revamped Logo!", "New Uniform Style!", "BOLD New Color Scheme!", we can but hope. So, discuss, play nice and keep DIGGIN' this season's throwbacks.

I KNEW Ricky Rubio would ROCK that Muskies jersey! I was THIS close to getting a Chris Kaman LA Stars # 35, and THEN...

Too bad they didn't switch to Swamp Dragons. They could have then dropped Swamp when they moved out of the swamp and be the Brooklyn Dragons.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I have to interrupt this thread to thank cesarano for the EXTREMELY informative posts. They have really opened my eyes to the realities of the NY/NJ sports market.

Hehe, thanks! This is really one of my very favourite topics.

By the way: the blue road New York uniforms will be on display again tonight, again at home, when the Nets host the Spurs, a fellow ex-ABA club.

These teams met in the 2003 Finals; and the Nets wore the home throwbacks in one game. The Spurs, however, wore their regular road unis...

001289134.jpg

...missing a chance to break out these road beauties:

McGinnis.gervin.jpg

SilasDribbleCalvinCls.jpg

The Spurs will be playing along this time. However, they won't be wearing any "Spurs" uniforms, but those of the 1970-71 Texas Chaparrels. (The team was the Dallas Chaparrels for most of its pre-Spurs existence, through the 1972-73 season. For one year, 1970-71, it was called the Texas Chaparrels, and played its home games in various Texas cities.)

BedellJumperWilJones.jpg

If the Nets are going to wear the road uni, then I would have loved to see the Spurs in their home grey uni, in a matchup that would look like this:

001287565bmskfin.jpg

Regardless of what the Spurs are wearing, I relish the chance to see the Nets in those New York unis for the second time of six this year. (The next time will be February 22.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

They have a fanbase?

Dumb name, the move was the perfect time to change it. In a year they'll have exponentially more fans than they do now.

And why will Brooklyn be any more successful? The same challenges exists in Brooklyn as in NJ. Are basketball fans in Brooklyn going to suddenly stop being Knicks fans to root for the Nets? Add in all the costs associated with long process of building that arena and the result is going to be a mountain of debt for that team. That isn't going to be a recipe for having the team be successful on the court, which is the only way to make it a success.

I don't think the team bears all the costs of the arena. And since Rattner sold off majority ownership, you don't even have the same corporate structure as the team beating the costs.

Same challenges as NJ? Not on your life. First of all, there will absolutely be casual fans of the Knicks who switch to the Nets. Then there's the massive number of people who aren't currently basketball fans that can be tapped by the Nets. Plus there's merchandise sales, which will be upwards of an order of magnitude higher than they were in New Jersey. Add in to that increased revenue from local television and radio deals, and the team will be in much better shape than it ever was on the west bank of the Hudson.

I don't think the team bears all the costs of the arena. And since Rattner sold off majority ownership, you don't even have the same corporate structure as the team beating the costs.

Same challenges as NJ? Not on your life. First of all, there will absolutely be casual fans of the Knicks who switch to the Nets. Then there's the massive number of people who aren't currently basketball fans that can be tapped by the Nets. Plus there's merchandise sales, which will be upwards of an order of magnitude higher than they were in New Jersey. Add in to that increased revenue from local television and radio deals, and the team will be in much better shape than it ever was on the west bank of the Hudson.

If they aren't basketball fans now why is the team in Brooklyn specifically going make people basketball fans? This isn't a team moving into a new market. The NBA has existed in the NY metro area since the beginning. If they don't already at least root for the Knicks (or lesser extent the Nets), guess what they probably just don't like basketball. It isn't like fans in Brooklyn don't root for teams based in Manhattan or other NYC boroughs in general.

I also don't buy the media revenue increases. They are already in market, why would YES pay more for TV rights to something they already have (outside the usual increases that come with contracts up in the competitiveness NY regional sports market). And going to my first point it has been known the team was for sure moving to Brooklyn for a couple of years know, where has been the flock of fans to the Nets to at least the media outlets?

If they aren't basketball fans now why is the team in Brooklyn specifically going make people basketball fans? This isn't a team moving into a new market. The NBA has existed in the NY metro area since the beginning. If they don't already at least root for the Knicks (or lesser extent the Nets), guess what they probably just don't like basketball. It isn't like fans in Brooklyn don't root for teams based in Manhattan or other NYC boroughs in general.

There are plenty of hoops fans in the tristate area that hate or are indifferent towards the Knicks and would like an alternative, whether its due to their terrible ownership and management the last ten years or because they root for another NBA team. Also Brooklyn is a "proud" borough and there may be non-hoops fans that may start rooting for a team that represent them and them only, not to mention all the people who will be buying Brooklyn jerseys as a fashion statement (which will be significant - just look at how many people still wear Brooklyn Dodgers gear). And there might just be people who want to see something new and fresh in the block.

I also don't buy the media revenue increases. They are already in market, why would YES pay more for TV rights to something they already have (outside the usual increases that come with contracts up in the competitiveness NY regional sports market). And going to my first point it has been known the team was for sure moving to Brooklyn for a couple of years know, where has been the flock of fans to the Nets to at least the media outlets?

IIRC YES already renewed with the Nets for another 30 or so years, with a favorable deal, so its already happened.

And the team is a lameduck team playing in Jersey with a terrible record and Jersey fans abandoning them like the plague. No fan from Brooklyn is going to start making that trip to a half empty arena to Newark to watch them.

My first instinct is to say "uh-oh", supposing that the uni will be absurd. But, then I read this from Paul Lukas's UniWatch entry today: "I?ve already seen prototypes of the uniforms (actual protos, not just mock-ups or photos), and I can say two things about them: (1) They?re almost certainly not what you?re expecting, and (2) I like them."

I think you'll be happy. The uniform is clean, and the numbers are fairly standard. From the standpoint of execution and craftsmanship, I really don't like the logos. The idea and direction is nice, but they didn't come together into a professional-looking graphic identity, and it's all because of how the ideas were executed and crafted, in my opinion. I really do like the uniforms, though, and even though I'm not crazy about the new color scheme, it's nice that it's unique within the league. My favorite part about the new identity, however, is something that was my own idea. It has to do with the court, and I'm really excited to see it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If they aren't basketball fans now why is the team in Brooklyn specifically going make people basketball fans? This isn't a team moving into a new market. The NBA has existed in the NY metro area since the beginning. If they don't already at least root for the Knicks (or lesser extent the Nets), guess what they probably just don't like basketball.

Even if you are right, perhaps those people could be converted with a little outreach. Which the Nets never did in New York before, but are doing now. Not to mention that little kids get older every day, and that's the future market.

By your logic, Pepsi shouldn't bother trying to win over new customers; everybody that they don't already have is either a devoted Coke drinker or doesn't like soda. ;)

They're not in Brooklyn yet. The outreach has started, but only in the simplest terms.

And while the Nets might currently be "in market", they're only just. Once they put "Brooklyn" on the front of the uniforms, interest will skyrocket.

They have a fanbase?

Last time the Nets were in the Finals, I bought same-day tickets to a game and sat in an half-empty section.

For the Finals.

If they have a fanbase, they hide it well. :P

NJ really shouldn't have "their own" pro sports teams.

Those comments hurt....a lot. As the one of the few (maybe only) Nets fan on this board, let me say this. I love these uniforms a lot and I loved them in the 2003 NBA Finals. These ideas about changing their name to the Knights is flat out stupid. Listen, the New Jersey Nets many people forget were on of the beasts of the east for a long time throughout the 00s. Their relocation idea came out in 2005, when they were one of the best teams in the NBA with the Kidd-Carter-Jefferson Big 3. So because of this, why would they change the name of a top-tier team? Obviously, they are not now but throughout the process they were going to keep their Nets nickname. Also, many NJ Nets fans will still travel across the Hudson to see their beloved Nets play. If they did change the name, that would be a huge slap in the face to Nets fans as their image of the Nets is destroyed.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

The uniform is clean, and the numbers are fairly standard. From the standpoint of execution and craftsmanship, I really don't like the logos. The idea and direction is nice, but they didn't come together into a professional-looking graphic identity, and it's all because of how the ideas were executed and crafted, in my opinion. I really do like the uniforms, though, and even though I'm not crazy about the new color scheme, it's nice that it's unique within the league. My favorite part about the new identity, however, is something that was my own idea. It has to do with the court, and I'm really excited to see it.

I think this, along with the term "bold" that seems to be repeatedly associated with the new re-brand, is what is most intriguing to me. I'm very interested to see what the new scheme is like, as it sounds to me that it's going to be a notable departure from the traditional Nets R-W-B.

And I think that's awesome that your idea is going to be featured on the court, Andrew. Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing this - I'm sure whatever it is, it's going to be neat.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The uniform is clean, and the numbers are fairly standard. From the standpoint of execution and craftsmanship, I really don't like the logos. The idea and direction is nice, but they didn't come together into a professional-looking graphic identity, and it's all because of how the ideas were executed and crafted, in my opinion. I really do like the uniforms, though, and even though I'm not crazy about the new color scheme, it's nice that it's unique within the league. My favorite part about the new identity, however, is something that was my own idea. It has to do with the court, and I'm really excited to see it.

I think this, along with the term "bold" that seems to be repeatedly associated with the new re-brand, is what is most intriguing to me. I'm very interested to see what the new scheme is like, as it sounds to me that it's going to be a notable departure from the traditional Nets R-W-B.

And I think that's awesome that your idea is going to be featured on the court, Andrew. Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing this - I'm sure whatever it is, it's going to be neat.

Definitely a departure. I was cold on it at the start, and I'm still not overly warm to it, but it has grown on me quite a bit. I just wish they'd have given someone a chance to make those logos the best they could be.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Definitely a departure. I was cold on it at the start, and I'm still not overly warm to it, but it has grown on me quite a bit. I just wish they'd have given someone a chance to make those logos the best they could be.

Dammit...now you've got my curiosity peaked. Can you at least tell us if the new identity is a complete departure from anything before it? Or we're any elements borrowed from previous identities? I hope the answer is yes because I can't stand any of their previous looks

Dammit...now you've got my curiosity peaked. Can you at least tell us if the new identity is a complete departure from anything before it? Or we're any elements borrowed from previous identities? I hope the answer is yes because I can't stand any of their previous looks

As far as I can tell, there's only one element of the identity that has any ties to the Nets' past identities.

Archived