2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Season

sportsfan0518

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night's fuel mismanagement did Keslowski no favors. He ended up 11th after leading the most laps at Charlotte. Bowyer won, Hamlin finished 2nd and Johnson finished 3rd . Keslowski now leads Johnson by 7 points, Hamlin by 15 points, and Bowyer by 28 points.

http://www.nascar.com/news/121016/nascar-2013-competition-changes/index.html

- In Sprint Cup competition, the series will move to a 36-6-1 format where the fastest 36 cars will make the race on speed.

- Beginning next season in the Sprint Cup Series, there will be up to four tests per organization available to teams at tracks at which the series competes.

- The maximum starting field for the Nationwide Series will be set at 40 While CTWTS is 36.

This is just some of the changes.

baltimoreravens.png

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-chevy-to-show-real-nascar-sprint-cup-series-ss-in-vegas/

So far, every 2013 Chevrolet SS NASCAR Sprint Cup car that’s shown up for testing has looked like something from a Rorschach test or maybe a psychedelic experiment from the 1960s gone horribly wrong, but that’s about to change.

Up until now, Chevy has insisted that the SS always run in a bizarre black-and-white wrap to conceal its true appearance.

Finally, on Nov. 29 at the Wynn Las Vegas, Chevrolet will show the SS off in real race trim, minus the headache-inducing graphics.

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping because it looks like we have our top 4 with 3 races to go....

Johnson

Keselowski

Bowyer

Khane

and for a 10th straight year, Chevy won the Manufactures championship

Also...

21motorcraft-front.jpg

21motorcraft-rear.jpg

Ford has knocked it out of the park with the new car IMO.

baltimoreravens.png

Those are beautiful!

Anyways. For BK to win this championship, he'll need to beat Jimmie on the racetrack three straight races, and JJ will have to screw up in one of them. It's just too bad he kicks ass at these tracks.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well, there is always hope for next year & I would welcome them back with opens arms :)

http://espn.go.com/r...k-return-nascar

The chief of Dodge Motorsports is hopeful that the manufacturer will return to NASCAR in the not-too-distant future.

"Going forward, we're going to take the year off, evaluate the potential," Ralph Gilles told ESPN.com Tuesday after a panel discussion at the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association Show on the future of motorsports. "We also did a lot of data mining. Part of the issue our management team wanted was, what are we really getting out of NASCAR? We only have two cars out of a huge field. Are we getting our money's worth?

"Ironically, this year we got beyond our money's worth. How you can replicate that? I don't know. That's what we're looking at right now."

The matter of returning to the sport, whether that is in 2014 or after, is finding an organization as strong and viable as Penske Racing. The lack of such a team left Dodge with little option but to pull out for 2013.

"The Dodge brand is interested," Gilles said of a return. "It would be hard to replace Roger, because Roger has a long-term deal with Ford. The capacity isn't there to have that right now. It's going to be tough, but we'll have to look at it."

NASCAR executive Steve O'Donnell, also a member of the SEMA panel, said he was hopeful Dodge will return. Keselowski, in Vegas to promote sponsors for his Truck Series team, was adamant the manufacturer will return.

Gilles said the move toward more brand identity with the 2013 car could help expedite that.

Also... some paint schemes got leaked....

jutndc.jpg

2013DH11EXPRESS1.jpg

Man those look good.

baltimoreravens.png

Not one to comment much on Nascar livery, but Denny Hamlin's burst is one of the most fantastic designs / color combinations in Motorsports that I can remember in a long time. It's modern feel without the use of the usual stripes / flames that go with Nascar designs, is just phenomenal.

Well I came across this in the v8 supercars

2013_nissan_altima_f34_ns_103112_717.jpg

Maybe a sign for NASCAR considering the SS is a Holden Commodore?

Not really since engine development is still key. Nissan is using their own DOHC V8 for the Supercar series, not a pushrod V8 which Holden and Fords use or what NASCAR series require.

Just a thought. They changed the points format after Matt Kenseth was running away with the show in 2003, prior to that Jeff Gordon (x2) Bobby Labonte, Dale Jarrett all had clinched the championship before the final race. This is why they brought the Chase in, so the last race would always determine a Champion and maybe bring new players to the table, which it has to an extent. Jimmie Johnson is about to win 6 of 7, he still may not, but he needs bad luck in Phoenix and Homestead, and bad luck and the #48 rarely happen, and if it does happen it's usually in the most dramatic way. BK could easily win these last two races, and I would think he'd win the Championship if he did that, no matter where Johnson finished.

Still I know they don't plan on changing the schedule anytime soon, but even before the Chase since 1990. We've seen Kulwicki, Bobby/Terry Labonte, Jarrett, Kenseth, Busch, not named Earnhardt, Gordon, Stewart, Johnson win championships. It goes to say there has never been true parity in racing, nor will we see any in the near future in my opinion. I think it's just us as sports fans that see parity in other variety of sports, and we think that this can translate over to NASCAR. That's not the case, we can change the schedule till we're blue in the face, or tweak the cars, but if you're the best, you'll rise to the occasion no matter where the racing is taken place, or what they've done to the style of racing. JJ is on pace to win a sixth championship in a span of seven years, nobody has done that. If he manages to get to eight, which is very well could. Richard Petty may have 200 wins in an era where there was no such thing as "parity", and many consider him to be the greatest, either in front of, or right there with Dale, Darrell, David, Cale and Jeff. Jimmie may trump them all when he calls it a career.

Every era had their dominant driver, the Aughts are Jimmie's and I think we should just enjoy the ride.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't doubt that, either way, I hope the next two races will be rather interesting. I'm happy that at least Brad has been giving Jimmie a run for his money, the question is, is he David to the Golaith known as Jimmie? The next two races will determine this, Now it's Jimmie's to lose & he does, it has to be either with bad luck or he got outdone by the blue deuce.

With that in mind, it sounds likes this is true and in that case, RCR is gonna be nothing but the Dillon boys.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8611398/kevin-harvick-leave-rcr-drive-stewart-haas-2014

Multiple NASCAR industry sources confirmed to ESPN.com Friday that Harvick has signed a multiyear agreement to drive for Stewart-Haas Racing beginning with the 2014 season.

Harvick will remain at RCR in the No. 29 Chevrolet for the 2013 campaign, sources said.

"I'm looking forward to finishing out this season on a strong note with RCR and continuing to build our program going into the 2013 season with the ultimate goal of winning a championship," Harvick told ESPN.com Friday at Phoenix International Raceway, when he was asked about his future. "Anything beyond that, once I know what my future plans are set, I'll let you know."

Under Stewart-Haas' current plan, sources said, Harvick will drive a fourth SHR Chevrolet, teaming with Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman and Danica Patrick to form a four-car stable.

baltimoreravens.png

Oh man, Harvick in Hendrick equipment for all intents and purposes? I'm getting pretty excited already. I mean, don't get me wrong, Harvick's had a great run with RCR. It's just that the Childress equipment's been either a big hit (2006, 2010, 2011) or a huge miss (2009, somewhat this year). Should be very fun to see in the future

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

No kidding, now Bad Brad has the points lead heading into Homestead but I think people will be talking more about the blowup between Gordon & Bowyer. Despite who caused what, Bowyer is out, its now Jimmie vs. Brad.

Although considering the rumors that are being reported, a bit ironic that Harvick won.

EDIT: For those that missed it.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived