2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Season

sportsfan0518

Time to get prepared for the madness of Kentucky Speedway.

Part 1- Last year:

Once the Speedway put individual race tickets on sale, Carol snapped one up. She signed up with a charter bus company for a ride to the race. She bought new clothes to wear. Auck even boarded her two dogs so she'd be free to go. "Then I got up there," she says, "and they took it away from me." By the time the charter bus Auck was on waded through hours of traffic delays and reached the Kentucky Speedway gates, the race was almost over. The bus was turned away. "They said the parking lots were full," Auck said. "There were a lot of angry people (on the bus). I just sat there the whole way home with my arms across my chest. I was pissed."

Part 2-This year's plan:

?I?ve seen the document the Kentucky State Police has prepared as the traffic management plan,? Kentucky Speedway general manager Mark Simendinger said Thursday. ?It looks like Bill Belichick?s playbook. It?s extensive.

I had a couple people form the Speedway come in and talk to us in my capstone Sports Management class at NKU (my group had to do a project with them). It sounds as if they really got it right this year (I'll it eat my words if I have to in a few days). I don't think the problems this year will be more than 1% of what they were last year.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenseth at Penske would be a dream!

Even if Penske denies it, you know their looking at him, the captain knows talent when he sees it.

He pulled the same thing with Will Power in IndyCar a few years ago. Denied he would be fielding a third car for Power, but was too good to let him go. Kenseth to Penske seems likely, unless Sliced Bread is out at JGR.

I think this has the makings of Kenseth going to Gibbs, and the contract is just about signed. Logano isn't going to be around for much longer. He doesn't fit the Home Depot brand, he's too young and too friggin' dorky. Every time I look at him, I wonder if his momma's going to call him home before it gets too dark. That's not the type of guy who you want selling a home repair/building company, you want someone who's mature. I have no idea if Home Depot has used Logano in print, but I know they've not used him in tv spots and that says a lot to me.

Also don't forget that companies might look at Roush/Fenway as a company that they really don't want to sponsor. If you don't believe me, then why can Richard Petty Motorsports bring in new sponsors it seems like every couple of weeks and Roush can't find a sponsor for Kenseth or struggles to find them for Edwards? I think Jack Roush thinks too much of himself and is pricing himself out of the sport. I wouldn't be shocked to see Roush Fenway out of the sport completely in a couple of years. The fact that Roush keeps loosing sponsors says a lot too me, and it's not good.

Looks like Andretti is geeting closer according to SI & Jayski

One of IndyCar's biggest names could branch out to the Sprint Cup Series as Michael Andretti told SI.com that he is hoping to start a NASCAR team. "We were looking at NASCAR real close last year, too, but it fell apart," Andretti said. "We were looking at it just as hard last year as this year and the year before." If Andretti is able to find the right sponsorship, he could team up with Dodge and base his team out of the old Evernham Motorsports shop at the Statesville Regional Airport in Statesville, N.C. A Dodge source told SI.com that Andretti could probably team up with the engine manufacturer for $5 million to $6 million. That's because Dodge is losing its primary team in Sprint Cup at the end of this season as Penske Racing switches to Ford. Because of that, it is looking for a flagship team and Andretti could be a good fit, especially if it were to team up with Richard Petty Motorsports

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20120627/michael-andretti-nascar/

EDIT: Even more fire...

http://www.pitpass.net/2012/06/andretti-to-dodge-in-2013-with-kenseth.html

Sources have confirmed to PitPass.net that Michael Andretti has purchased the engine program from Penske Racing and will field at least one full time Dodge in the Cup series in 2013 and beyond. No word on who the driver is, but with Matt Kenseth leaving Roush at the end of the season, the 2003 Cup series champ did confirm to the Journal Sentinel on Wednesday that he will drive for "a new cup team" in 2013 and beyond. One option on the table is for Andretti to base his team out of the old Evernham Motorsports shop at the Statesville Regional Airport in Statesville, N.C. Also hearing from this unnamed source that this new deal with Dodge is also with Richard Petty Motorsports -- currently a Ford team paired with Roush Fenway Racing, but has a long history with Dodge. (this is why we didn't get the announcement of Petty to Dodge in Michigan a few weeks ago, they were trying to get Kenseth). Hearing that an offical announcement could come as early as next weekend.

I guess that's why Kenseth has kept his mouth shut.

baltimoreravens.png

• 4 weeks later...

Good, cause those years in Nationwide really helped Hornish out. Guy's a winner, and I always like to see open wheel guys succeed in NASCAR.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Good, cause those years in Nationwide really helped Hornish out. Guy's a winner, and I always like to see open wheel guys succeed in NASCAR.

Actually, it's not good. It's never good to see a driver lose a ride like this. While I agree that Hornish has done well in Nationwide, I just hate seeing him get a ride like this. Heck, I'd rather see Hornish get the #51 ride instead, but it is what it is. Now we just sit back and wait to hear the substance and the response from AJ. So far all drug suspensions in NASCAR have been valid. Now we see if this holds true or if AJ is hiding something.

Actually, it's not good. It's never good to see a driver lose a ride like this. While I agree that Hornish has done well in Nationwide, I just hate seeing him get a ride like this. Heck, I'd rather see Hornish get the #51 ride instead, but it is what it is. Now we just sit back and wait to hear the substance and the response from AJ. So far all drug suspensions in NASCAR have been valid. Now we see if this holds true or if AJ is hiding something.

Poor Dinger, when it rains.... Already on Speed they're already saying who could replace him, some are saying Carl Edwards or Ryan Newman or Joey Logano, but if they chose anyone, I would say Sam Hornish, he's been with Penske for many years & he's proving himself in Nationwide & I do agree with Oddball, I hate to see Hornish get back in Sprint Cup this way, Hopefully AJ will get himself cleaned up & back in auto racing.

Well, onto the Brickyard.

baltimoreravens.png

Just put on the race for a bit.

I knew they were having problems selling tickets at Indy and given that the Olympics are going on, tickets were probably going to be that much tougher of a sell.

But I didn't expect to see entire sections of seats empty.

Ticket sales at Indy for the Brickyard have gone down dramatically since 2006. Plus the economy is still poor and Kentucky Speedway is now a Cup race so there is another track within that radius.

The "exhibition" race in 2008 due to Goodyear bringing a poor tire compound didn't help because the sales for the 2009 race were down by 60,000.

Besides I think Martinsville, show me a track that hasn't been hit hard by the economy and is not selling fewer tickets than it was 5 years ago. The whole tire-gate thing is just something people an easy blame for people for the lack of attendance at Indy. The truth is, the economy is the #1 factor of why people aren't attending races like they use to. They just don't have the money to spend a weekend away at a race based on gas prices, plane tickets, hotels, and the cost of a ticket to the race.

The other factor is the fans today are different. The spike and popularity of NASCAR that happened in the mid '90's to about 2005, is gone. The novelty has worn off. I also think that the newer race fans are far less knowledgeable, willing to learn, and willing to sit through a race to watch the nuances of what makes racing great, and these are the ones who whine the loudest. You know what? Not every race can be great, nor are they suppose to be great. The MTV generation make poor race fans as they cant sit still for more than five minutes and they have have some sort of "excitement" to keep their attention.

Again the estimated attendance has been.

2006: 280,000

2007: 270,000

2008: 240,000 (Race with the COT and "bad" tires)

2009: 180,000

2010: 140,000

2011: 138,000

it was strange turning on the TV and seeing empty seats for a Sprint Cup race. I even think I saw a few sections of bleachers that were completely empty. To me I would say the Brickyard is my second favorite race behind the Daytona 500.

Bumping this to provide some pretty big news...

Chevy is bringing the Camaro to Nationwide starting next season

2013-chevy-camaro-nascar-nationwide-race-car_100397110_m.jpg

1220hh6960.jpg?w=300&h=200

Now if only Toyota can bring in a muscle car... Oh wait...

I like how Nascar is allowing the cars to be a little more unique between the different companies. I hated it when the only difference was headlight decals. I've seen the new Charger and Fusion for the Sprint Cup and they look pretty damn close to the actual production models. Also like the fact that the muscle cars make the Nationwide series unique too. Wonder when Chevrolet is going to unveil their new 2013 Sprint Cup car?

Besides I think Martinsville, show me a track that hasn't been hit hard by the economy and is not selling fewer tickets than it was 5 years ago. The whole tire-gate thing is just something people an easy blame for people for the lack of attendance at Indy. The truth is, the economy is the #1 factor of why people aren't attending races like they use to. They just don't have the money to spend a weekend away at a race based on gas prices, plane tickets, hotels, and the cost of a ticket to the race.

The other factor is the fans today are different. The spike and popularity of NASCAR that happened in the mid '90's to about 2005, is gone. The novelty has worn off. I also think that the newer race fans are far less knowledgeable, willing to learn, and willing to sit through a race to watch the nuances of what makes racing great, and these are the ones who whine the loudest. You know what? Not every race can be great, nor are they suppose to be great. The MTV generation make poor race fans as they cant sit still for more than five minutes and they have have some sort of "excitement" to keep their attention.

1. You are exactly right. If I had to pick the biggest contributor to the decline in NASCAR attendance, I'd have to say it's gas prices. A good portion of the typical NASCAR race crowd are those that bring their RVs, campers, etc. for the entire weekend. If you're getting 10-12 MPG out of the typical RV, you're doing really well. When gas prices jumped the way they did, a trip that might normally cost say 200 bucks was all of a sudden costing 500 bucks. People who used to go to multiple races in a season were cutting it back to one or two. People who saved to go to one race stopped going at all. Losing the RV/Camper crowd delivered a big hit race attendance. I don't think people realize just how big a percentage of NASCAR attendance comes from the RV/Camper crowd.

For example, I went to the Coca-Cola 600 three straight years from 2008 thru 2010. Each year, we parked at the same lot across the street from CMS. In 2008, that lot was filled with RVs and pull along campers. It took us about 15 minutes to walk from the back of the lot to the track. In 2009, the drop-off was noticeable. We were able to park much closer than we did in 2008. By 2010, the lot was so empty that we were able to park literally right across the street from CMS.

2. "Getting" NASCAR isn't something that happens over a couple of races. It takes time, and like you said, time is not something most of the MTV generation is willing to invest.

BB52Big.jpg

From what it looks like, Kenseth is going to JGR, but the announcement won't be until around August. While keeping Logano, I bet it was awkward when he wrecked his future teammate at Indy.

From Jayski:

-Matt Kenseth will drive for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2013, but according to multiple sources, the Sprint Cup points leader can't talk about it until mid- to late-August at the earliest due to a stipulation in his current contract with Roush Fenway Racing.

-Joe Gibbs Racing president J.D. Gibbs declined on Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway to comment on Kenseth's situation. But Gibbs said the goal was to have four teams in 2013, and that every effort was being made to re-sign Joey Logano, whose contract expires after this season, if sponsorship can be found. "We want him to retire at JGR," Gibbs said. "We're trying to figure out how to make all of that work." Sources said Kenseth would take over the Home Depot and likely Dollar General sponsors currently on Logano's #20 Toyota. They left open the possibility of Kenseth running the #20 or another number. Sources said JGR has looked at several options for Logano, from running a full-time Nationwide schedule and part-time Cup schedule to running a full-time Cup schedule with a part-time or full-time Nationwide slate.

baltimoreravens.png

From what it looks like, Kenseth is going to JGR, but the announcement won't be until around August. While keeping Logano, I bet it was awkward when he wrecked his future teammate at Indy.

From Jayski:

-Matt Kenseth will drive for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2013, but according to multiple sources, the Sprint Cup points leader can't talk about it until mid- to late-August at the earliest due to a stipulation in his current contract with Roush Fenway Racing.

-Joe Gibbs Racing president J.D. Gibbs declined on Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway to comment on Kenseth's situation. But Gibbs said the goal was to have four teams in 2013, and that every effort was being made to re-sign Joey Logano, whose contract expires after this season, if sponsorship can be found. "We want him to retire at JGR," Gibbs said. "We're trying to figure out how to make all of that work." Sources said Kenseth would take over the Home Depot and likely Dollar General sponsors currently on Logano's #20 Toyota. They left open the possibility of Kenseth running the #20 or another number. Sources said JGR has looked at several options for Logano, from running a full-time Nationwide schedule and part-time Cup schedule to running a full-time Cup schedule with a part-time or full-time Nationwide slate.

Nothing else like conveying that JGR erred on rushing "sliced bread's" career to Sprint Cup by possibly demoting him to run full-time in Nationwide and part-time in Sprint Cup. That should clearly instill confidence in Joey from management.

How DARE people want to be entertained and excited by a "sporting" event...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived