2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Season

sportsfan0518

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to this discussion on whether or not this season's been boring or not.. I don't know. Yes there were some duds in a row, but I think the bigger issues is there hasn't been that much of a storyline just yet. I feel like every race is just "IS THIS THE WEEK JUNIOR BREAKS HIS LOSING STREAK?!?" and not much else really developing. I guess Roush's lock on the top 2 in points through this point could count, especially with the 17 having limited sponsorship, but otherwise there hasn't really been many underlying themes going on to this season. It kind of needs an identity so to say

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I wouldn't read too much into the Roush announcement and Kenseth getting a new number. Remember the All-Star race is coming up and last year Jimmie Johnson drove a #5 Lowe's car and Mark Martin drove a #25 Farmers Insurance car as a throwback to Tim Richmond. It's probably one of those deals where Kenseth might run a #6 Stroh's or Folgers car for the All Star race and then go back to the #17. You have to remember how much of an investment that Roush has in the #17 as far as merchandising and that all the sponsors that are signed up with Kenseth have signed off on the #17 and the looks of everything from the car, to the driver suit, to merchandising. Matt Kenseth is the #17 and that is a brand that unless he leaves, probably won't be changed.

Exactly. I think of Kenseth and DW as the only two 17's the ever mattered.

Probably just like Oddball said. #6 throwback car, is a good bet.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Further info on Jayski...

NOTE: the PR doesn't say Kenseth will have a new car number but a new number on the car. And it could be a special number for the All-Star race like last season when Jimmie Johnson ran the #5 in the event.

Makes sense, although the one rumor was they're going with 07 via the new sponsor rumor was Jack Daniels

baltimoreravens.png

Hmmm, I could see that.

News on Chevy's new car...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/172183/holden-commodore-us-return-chevrolet-ss-announcement-imminent/

The return of the Holden Commodore to North American showrooms ? as a Chevrolet SS model ? is expected to be confirmed later this month.

The revival of the Commodore export program to the US, beyond the limited number of police car versions of the Holden Caprice already on sale there, has been anticipated since Chevrolet announced it would use a brand new nameplate for its 2013 NASCAR challenger.

baltimoreravens.png

After Kurt Busch's baby act last night, and burnout through Ryan Newman's pit box almost taking out a few of Newman's crew. I can't see anyone in Cup hiring Kurt. I think he's finally burned his last bridge and I expect to see James Finch can him before Daytona in July. I think Kurt's best bet is to just drive Kyle's Nationwide car and thank the good Lord he has a brother nice enough to support him.

Better than the whole he's going to JGR rumors that keeps popping up. It seems some things never change with the Busch boys, I always thought Kyle was bad but at least he's attemtping to "grow up"

Meanwhile....

I can see why they thought that Matt Kenseth would have his number changed... to 53 for 5/3 bank as a sponsor for 4 races. Never heard of them.

5_3.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

Congratulations to War Damn Racing for winning Segment 1 with a total score of 1,705 points, which is exceptional enough to place in the 96.4 Percentile!

Here are the CCSLC Cup Series Standings after completion of Segment 1:

Rank Team Entry Points Points Behind Percentile Wins
1 War Damn Racing 1,705 - 96.4 2
2 NEWERA 1,654 -51 87.4 2
3 Raysox's Entry 1,652 -53 86.9 1
4 Go Fast, Turn Left 1,610 -95 74.4 1
5 Plates Off 1,600 -105 71.0 0
6 Whiskey & Ritalin 1,594 -111 69.0 1
7 Kramerica Industries 1,573 -132 61.6 1
8 Red 41 Racing 1,551 -154 54.0 1
9 Tank Racers 1,516 -189 42.6 1
10 BayouBungels 1,471 -234 30.9 0
11 RyanMcD29 Racing 1,459 -246 28.5 0
12 Revolution Motorsports 1,087 -618 5.8 1

Note: Wins are counted based on the Team Entry which has the highest score for that week's race.

Reminder, Segment 2 begins this week!

Kurt has been punished...

NASCAR has fined Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 51 car in the Sprint Cup Series, $50,000 and placed him on NASCAR probation until July 25 for his actions during the May 12 race at Darlington Raceway.

baltimoreravens.png

Racing for the heck of it, this is why I love this race. BTW,Andretti may come into NASCAR with Dodge & Kurt Busch

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-sources-michael-andretti-could-join-dodge-lineup/

if this is true, I think this would be a great move. Dodge needs a team & this could be the shot that Dodge needs after Penske switches to Ford.

I also saw the drivers who can become free agents after this season is done...

A.J. Allmendinger [one year deal in the #22]

Aric Almirola [one year deal in the #43]

Kurt Busch [one year deal in the #51]

Matt Kenseth [contract ends after 2012 season]

Joey Logano [contract ends after 2012 season]

Jamie McMurray [contract ends after 2012 season]

Ryan Newman [contract ends after 2012 season]

David Ragan [contract ends after 2012 season]

David Reutimann [one year deal with TBR]

Regan Smith [contract ends after 2012 season]

Martin Truex Jr. [contract ends after 2012 season]

Brian Vickers [part time in the #55, eight races]

:blink:

Only thing I can think of is a strong possibility that Logano is gone from JGR but this could be a huge silly season.

baltimoreravens.png

I went to the All-Star Race last night... it was about as dull as a live race at Charlotte could be. Jimmy raced smart the whole time, played it perfectly by holding back through the whole race and not pitting at the end. I can't blame him one bit for that...but man, that's not what the All-Star Race is supposed to be like.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Ford took the wraps off it's first livery for the new Fusion ...

fusion-nascarweb.jpg

obviously isn't a complete car, no window cutouts, headlight stickers, etc ... but still, can't wait to see these cars on the track next year.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

I went to the All-Star Race last night... it was about as dull as a live race at Charlotte could be. Jimmy raced smart the whole time, played it perfectly by holding back through the whole race and not pitting at the end. I can't blame him one bit for that...but man, that's not what the All-Star Race is supposed to be like.

Right, this was the first boring All-Star race since 2008. But Jimmie played an excellent strategy to win the race and I can't say that is a bad thing. However, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE ALL-STAR RACE! It was so dull and people stopped trying after certain segments....I was disappointed by this years race.

Yeah, the race was dull from what I saw of it. Kenseth screwed the whole top line out of the win with the bad restart too.Also, I'm 3rd in the fantasy standings, and I haven't touched it since Daytona, ahahahahahah.

If Kenseth never spun his tires and screwed over the entire outside lane, Jimmie would have had a lot of trouble. But Kenseth screwed up everyone and Jimmie ran away with a smart, but boring win.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Archived