2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Season

sportsfan0518

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they're debuting their new car for next season in Vegas this Sunday so unless they got a team who ready to go, it could just be for show. But the interesting news on Jayski was this...

"It seems that while sponsorship is down, car manufacturer support is strong. That is probably due to the fact that the car companies are all doing significantly better these days than a few years ago. Thus Petty has been approached by several manufacturers recently. What's interesting is that while there are the usual suspects there is one new manufacturer that is trying to break into the sport. RPM's contract with Ford is up at the end of the season.

Honda? Kia? Nissan? Hyundai? Volkswagen?

baltimoreravens.png

I'd suspect it'd be either Volkswagen or Nissan. Maybe Mercedes-Benz? I'm sure they could figure something out, but it'd more likely them if the Cup series went with Mustang and Challenger for next year.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a requirement to have a factory in the US in order to be in Nascar? I think if that's the case Mercedes is out, but BMW does have a factory in South Carolina & I know VW has a factory in Kentucky or Tennessee. Amongst some of the others, but the one that keeps coming back is Volkswagen.

baltimoreravens.png

Well they're debuting their new car for next season in Vegas this Sunday so unless they got a team who ready to go, it could just be for show. But the interesting news on Jayski was this...

"It seems that while sponsorship is down, car manufacturer support is strong. That is probably due to the fact that the car companies are all doing significantly better these days than a few years ago. Thus Petty has been approached by several manufacturers recently. What's interesting is that while there are the usual suspects there is one new manufacturer that is trying to break into the sport. RPM's contract with Ford is up at the end of the season.

Other than the fact that I just like their cars, I have no real reasoning for this but... As a long time Honda owner, I hope it's them. The Accord would certainly work as a "stock" car. Then again, I think it would be great if every car brand got involved. The more the merrier.

With regard to VW; hearing a driver refer to the "Best Buy Volkswagen" would be pretty amusing.

BB52Big.jpg

Hyundai/Kia= same company. They really don't do much racing but Kia does do GrandAm.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a requirement to have a factory in the US in order to be in Nascar? I think if that's the case Mercedes is out, but BMW does have a factory in South Carolina & I know VW has a factory in Kentucky or Tennessee. Amongst some of the others, but the one that keeps coming back is Volkswagen.

Mercedes- Benz has a plant in Tusculousa, Alabama, however it only produces SUVs (M-Class, R-Class, and GL-Class). The VW factory is in Tennessee and in 2010, NASCAR talked to them in January 2011, but last fall, Bentley CEO and head of motorsports for VW Group Wolfgang Durheimer said, ?The U.S. offers a variety of interesting race series.? He only definitely ruled out NHRA, but NASCAR was not essential to their racing profile. What makes VW attractive is that they want to the world's biggest car maker by 2018.

Other than the fact that I just like their cars, I have no real reasoning for this but... As a long time Honda owner, I hope it's them. The Accord would certainly work as a "stock" car. Then again, I think it would be great if every car brand got involved. The more the merrier.

With regard to VW; hearing a driver refer to the "Best Buy Volkswagen" would be pretty amusing.

Well, when I saw this concept for the 2013 Accord the first thing I thought was... That would look good in NASCAR

2013-honda-accord-coupe-concept16-opt.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

Sorry that I have been away from this thread for so long, too many situations with work and school that I gotta deal with. But anyway, if Penske is switching to Ford, than could Dodge in all likelihood leave NASCAR? Besides Robby Gordon, I can't think of a driver who runs in a Dodge full-time. Another quick note also, get your Elliott Sadler on soon because he just signed a deal to drive some of the races in the #55 Aaron's Dream Machine when Mark Martin is not running. I guarantee Elliott is gonna win the nationwide title and get a full time cup ride for 2013.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Actually that deal got shot down. He's more focused on getting a nationwide title & the rumor was that Chevy wasn't too thrilled with him driving for Mikey. Frankly I don't blame him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Sprint Cup soon. As for Dodge, this is what was said by Ralph Gilles... via Jayski

Our motorsports involvement isn't limited to NASCAR. We do value our NASCAR program and will be evaluating the opportunities available moving forward. As those opportunities materialize, we'll reveal our 2013 plans, not only in NASCAR but in other forms of motorsports."(Dodge PR)(3-1-2012)

baltimoreravens.png

My gut tells me it's either Nissan or Honda. VW is intriguing though.

I would put Honda as the frontrunner (Accord), with Hyundai (Sonata) and Nissan (Altima) as other possibilities.

I've also heard rumours that Toyota will be releasing an all-new street car for 2013 or 2014 that their Sprint Cup car will be based on, rather than the Camry.

I would put Honda as the frontrunner (Accord), with Hyundai (Sonata) and Nissan (Altima) as other possibilities.

I've also heard rumours that Toyota will be releasing an all-new street car for 2013 or 2014 that their Sprint Cup car will be based on, rather than the Camry.

Yeah I could see that, the Camry just looks bland in Nascar but yeah, I also heard the same rumor about Toyota. Same with Volkswagen that they were making a specific mid size for Nascar & sale.

If they do get in here is the models I think they'll use

Honda (Accord)

VW (Passat or the CC or rumored mid size)

Hyundai (Elentra or Genesis)

Nissan (Altima)

baltimoreravens.png

Yeah I could see that, the Camry just looks bland in Nascar but yeah, I also heard the same rumor about Toyota. Same with Volkswagen that they were making a specific mid size for Nascar & sale.

Honda (Accord)

Nissan (Altima)

Honda Accord would be a sure thing, but the Hyundai Elantra is a midsize. The Hyundai Sonata would be my choice.

Oh, and I actually saw the Nissan Maxima on the road today, pretty smooth NASCAR model:

2012maxima-h.jpg

Honda (Accord)

Nissan (Altima)

The 2012 VW Passat you see on the road was introduced in late 2011 and is the new midsize replacement sedan. It is designed for only two markets: North America and China. They would race a Passat.

Also keep in mind later this month VW hopes to buy the 50.1% of Porsche's automotive business they don't already own.

In regards to Nissan, since and Renault are in an corporate alliance, Nissan's Infiniti may become the engine supplier for Team Red Bull for Formula 1 in 2013 since Nissan now has an expanded role in technology and marketing since Infiniti is struggling in some areas where F1 is popular (Europe and Middle East).

Red Bull's current "Renault" engines are really re-badged engines made by Mecachrome.

For some reason, I thought the Elentra would be the Mid size, shows what I know about Hyundai then. In that case either the Sonata or even the new Azera that just came out. I could also see the Maxima as Nissan's choice for a stock car.

As for VW, I got a feeling it isn't going to be if, but when, same with Honda. I for one would like to see more manufactures in NASCAR instead of just 4 groups.

baltimoreravens.png

Honda (Accord)

Nissan (Altima)

Honda Accord would be a sure thing, but the Hyundai Elantra is a midsize. The Hyundai Sonata would be my choice.

Oh, and I actually saw the Nissan Maxima on the road today, pretty smooth NASCAR model:

2012maxima-h.jpg

The day Nissan comes to NASCAR will be the same day Elliott Sadler wins a Cup championship...

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Archived