San Diego Padres "Taco Bell" caps

The Mojo Maniac

For years now, I have been after a San Diego Padres "Taco Bell" cap, preferably the 1980s rendition of it:

steve_garvey.gif

These have proven extremely hard to find. Various companies have made pathetic, half-hearted attempts to remake it, such as this:

Rl2-Padres-Gold-Brown-Orange-19247

If I can get my hands on a good quality reproduction of this classic cap, it would be the cornerstone of my collection. In addition, this short-lived version might be a special treat as well:

209453d1298896961-gambo-t_wil1-photopack-don-zimmer-sd-5c3dd8ae_o.png

I'm sure that many of you out there share in my frustrations. Anybody have any insight as to where these may be found?

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

For years now, I have been after a San Diego Padres "Taco Bell" cap, preferably the 1980s rendition of it:

steve_garvey.gif

These have proven extremely hard to find. Various companies have made pathetic, half-hearted attempts to remake it, such as this:

If I can get my hands on a good quality reproduction of this classic cap, it would be the cornerstone of my collection. In addition, this short-lived version might be a special treat as well:

I'm sure that many of you out there share in my frustrations. Anybody have any insight as to where these may be found?

The hat worn by Don Zimmer was not a half heart attempt but actually the first generation "taco bell" cap without the orange worn in 1972 as a alternate cap once or twice during the season. If you are looking for the close replica the best place to find out would be at the team store if the Padres have a TBTC day. The past few years the caps have not been available to retail.

steve_garvey.gif

The hat worn by Don Zimmer was not a half heart attempt but actually the first generation "taco bell" cap without the orange worn in 1972 as a alternate cap once or twice during the season. If you are looking for the close replica the best place to find out would be at the team store if the Padres have a TBTC day. The past few years the caps have not been available to retail.

I wasn't referring to that Don Zimmer cap as half hearted, I knew that it was technically the first Taco Bell cap and that's why I would love to find one of those as well. Sounds good though. A couple of years ago I had a cap that was adjustable but its yellow panel and logo matched the more popular '70s version perfectly. But sadly it got thrown into my family's yard sale. :(

steve_garvey.gif

Just a heads up, you got http:// twice in your image links, thats why they are not displaying.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Yes. I'm confident that one day New Era will actually have the guts to make a decent throwback cap that is true to the original and that the taco bell cap will be the first to blaze that trail.

what exactly makes that a "taco bell" cap?

I would say that the yellow panel looks like a bell, also if you check Taco Bell`s original logo, you can see that one of the colors looks like "brown", plus the orange trim in both logo and cap

Former_Taco_Bell_Logo.png83_1.jpeg

PS: This is just a supposition.

dragonssignature.gif

Im from Costa Rica...so i dont have a huge english level...understand me

:rolleyes:

This site has quite an extensive dissertation on the "Taco Bell" Padres caps. In the articles, it does explain quite clearly the differences throughout its fabled history. And yes, the thing that makes it unique is the yellow field's "bell shape" (also explained in the article).

The linked Mitchell and Ness cap above is so GD crappy; this fact cannot be emphasized enough. Every single replica produced in the past 10-15 years is wrong and inaccurate on some level, even the ones used in the "Turn Back the Clock" games from the past few seasons (the yellow fields in the caps are way too big).

I have had to purchase the few 1980's-era authentics that I have from eBay (I also am the one who owns the yellow-billed 84 Padres cap linked in the blog above). The 1984-era caps do pop up from time to time, some in remarkably good condition. Good luck.

p.s., I have never, ever, seen the Don Zimmer version available anywhere. If someone had an authentic from that era, I imagine it would be worth a ton.

what exactly makes that a "taco bell" cap?

I would say that the yellow panel looks like a bell, also if you check Taco Bell`s original logo, you can see that one of the colors looks like "brown", plus the orange trim in both logo and cap

Former_Taco_Bell_Logo.png83_1.jpeg

PS: This is just a supposition.

There is a certain irony that this is referred to as the "Taco Bell" cap and uniform considering the owner of the team owned McDonalds. I always called them the McDonalds uniforms because back in the 70s the local francisees around here typically chose the brown uniforms (I think back then they had brown, blue and green and the francisees could pick the onese they wanted for their stores).

And it is absolutely impossible to find an accurate reproduction of the the Padres yellow-face caps since they had that uniquely cut yellow panel sewn on the surface of the brown cap and no one wants to take the time to do it right.

Check out this link. Scroll down the page, and I think this is what you're looking for (sans all-star patch, of course)!

http://www.neweracaptalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4567&start=60

Their website is not functional (Empire Sports) but supposedly they have a beta website in which you can order.

425606_294731750594039_234666223267259_846432_365222352_n.jpg

It looks like they may have got the bell curve right. However, check out the "1992" Padres cap at the top of the stack. The SD is all wrong, it's like the PCL style the 78 cap used. However, I really liked that style and wished they used that in 1991 when they switched to navy blue (I might get me one of those just for that factor).

When the original poster said "the 1980s version", I assume he was referring to the one linked in the quoted part above. But I've been searching for years for one without the orange included, to no avail.

Really? I see ones without the orange all the time at a sports store at the Fashion Valley Mall in San Diego.

Archived