knnhrvy's NHL Redesign

knnhrvy16

Cody, I appreciate the kind words and the suggestion! I've actually finished all the uniforms for each team in the template I use already, but if I can find the time (which is proving quite hard lately :P) to re-create them in that template, I may take up your suggestion. I'll have to see, but as of right now the uniforms are all already done. Thanks again!

Anyways, some updates and the Buffalo teaser for you all.

First up, the Anaheim secondary. I decided I might try just using the real webbed-D Anaheim currently uses, as trying to draw a new one wasn't turning out so successful. Does it work?

NHLRedesignANALogo2.png

...Aaaand the Boston logo update. Tried to eliminate the basketball effect by completely redoing the facial details around the eyes and snout. I will admit, I'm not sure I like it as much because the hub-effect I wanted is pretty much gone, but this is the best I could come up with to eliminate the basketball. How is it? Better? OH, and uniforms for Boston are also updated, I just wanted to see how the crest update was received before I went and put it on the uniforms.

NHLRedesignBOSlogo2.png

And finally, the Buffalo teaser. I have to admit, I don't know how well the Sabres are going to be received by fans especially....

NHLRedesignBUFTeaser.png

....and YES, that's charcoal and NOT black.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright all, Buffalo is ready!

Now, I sort of backtracked in Sabres history a little. Unpopular opinion time: I liked the black-silver-red Sabres identity better than the blue and gold. Not that the blue and gold is bad, but being a 90's kid, the Sabres as they looked in 1998 are the Sabres to me. I really wanted to go back to that time, but I knew I needed to change some things. Firstly the colors. As there is already a decent amount of red and black in the league (which my redesigns will address, but still), I wanted to differentiate Buffalo in that regard. The result after a lot of thinking was replacing all black with charcoal. I can't recall many other sports franchises whose primary color was charcoal, so I thought that could be something unique to the Sabres. Secondly, I took the buffalo head logo, cleaned it up a bit, and made it the secondary behind the primary (also cleaned up) crossed-swords crest.

NHLRedesignBUFPresentation.png

The uniforms are inspired by the more traditional red alternate sweaters Buffalo wore in the early 2000's, with charcoal as the emphasis rather than red. The red alternate sweater is the result of me messing around a bit with the existing striping and trying to add something..."sharp" to the uniform, which led to the football-like stripe on the shoulders.

NHLRedesignBUFRoad.png

NHLRedesignBUFHome.png

NHLRedesignBUFThird.png

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Let me have it! And please, any comments on the Anaheim and Boston updates are appreciated! Thanks!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm a fan of everything in this thread so far, except for the new new Bruins primary. The only reason that the original logo you made might have stood a chance in Boston was because it still had the spokes and looked just like the normal logo, just replacing the B with the snout. Now that you've basically gotten rid of the spokes, I'm kind of iffy. Everything else is nice.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

for boston:

ear accents from yellow to white

nose/mouth accents from yellow to white

face from white to yellow

just curious how this would look.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Anaheim: I'm personally not a fan of using the current "D". It doesn't look good in only one colour.

Boston: There's too much white space on the logo and the bear looks like he's squinting.

Buffalo: I believe the Blue Jays' primary colour was charcoal/graphite from '04-'11, but I digress. I'm a big fan of this set, but I believe the primary logo could use some more red. The jerseys look good as well.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thanks for the comments guys! I greatly appreciate it. Glad to hear Buffalo looks good for the most part. And yeah, I think I'm going to re-work the Bruins logo for sure haha. Should I keep trying with that idea?

Also, thought I'd go ahead and throw this out there. I'll be doing Winter Classic and Heritage Classic games as well, to be posted after each team is finished. Also, I want to try out an idea I've had - since it's likely that none of the American west coast teams would ever participate in a Winter Classic, I thought a "Western Classic" to be held annualy in a place like Seattle might be cool (note: I'm not taking the game as a serious real-life idea, just something for fun to add to the series), so that those west coast/west-in-general teams could have an excuse to suit up in throwbacks/fauxbacks and play outside :D

Here's some ideas I'm floating around for all three games;

Winter Classic Idea 1 -

Islanders vs. Devils: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

Winter Classic Idea 2 -

Blues vs. Wild: TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN

Heritage Classic Idea -

Canucks vs. Jets: Investors Group Field, Winnipeg, MB

Western Classic Idea -

Kings vs. Mighty Ducks: CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA

What do you guys think? Any matchup ideas are more than welcomed and encouraged as well. The above are only ideas, not cement! :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys! I greatly appreciate it. Glad to hear Buffalo looks good for the most part. And yeah, I think I'm going to re-work the Bruins logo for sure haha. Should I keep trying with that idea?

Also, thought I'd go ahead and throw this out there. I'll be doing Winter Classic and Heritage Classic games as well, to be posted after each team is finished. Also, I want to try out an idea I've had - since it's likely that none of the American west coast teams would ever participate in a Winter Classic, I thought a "Western Classic" to be held annualy in a place like Seattle might be cool (note: I'm not taking the game as a serious real-life idea, just something for fun to add to the series), so that those west coast/west-in-general teams could have an excuse to suit up in throwbacks/fauxbacks and play outside :D

Here's some ideas I'm floating around for all three games;

Winter Classic Idea 1 -

Islanders vs. Devils: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

Winter Classic Idea 2 -

Blues vs. Wild: TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN

Heritage Classic Idea -

Canucks vs. Jets: Investors Group Field, Winnipeg, MB

Western Classic Idea -

Kings vs. Mighty Ducks: CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA

What do you guys think? Any matchup ideas are more than welcomed and encouraged as well. The above are only ideas, not cement! :P

Fishsticks and St.Pattty's for me!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Anaheim: Everything looks great, I really like the new logo.

Boston: The first logo was better, and like a few other people have said, the stripes on the home and road are too thin. The logo is a very interesting idea, but I don't think I'd like it in real life.

Buffalo: The charcoal is a good idea, as it makes them unique. The third jersey is my favourite, because of the football-like stripe on the shoulder.

Great series so far, I look forward to the rest of the teams.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

Anaheim: I like the your redo of the current Ducks "D" in plum.

Boston: Like someone suggested, perhaps try thickening the spokes rather than eliminating them.

Buffalo: I like how you used a very modern template/striping pattern, but it comes off classic. I think it looks sharp.

rATMcmK.png

Vanek's 26, not 29. 29 is Pominville.

Ahh darn, I knew that! Thanks for the catch. Forget "brain-fart", that's a "brain-shart"! :P (5,000 internet points to whoever catches that reference, BTW).

I apologize for the delay, everyone. Sit tight, this thing ain't dead. Just that with my sister's birthday yesterday and Mother's Day today, I haven't found the time to actually sit at a computer for an extended period of time. Can't finish concepts on an iPod! :P I will do my best to ensure Calgary is up tommorrow. I'm going to keep going forwards with the series so it has movement, but I'm going to keep working on updates, too.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Alrighty! To get things moving, no teaser for the Flames. We're going straight into the concept!

For Calgary, we see a small change in regards to the identity - black is replaced in favor of brown. I'm trying to give a few teams something unique to itself in regards to color, and I knew I wanted brown in the league somehow. I was originally going to add a lighter brown to Boston as a compliment to black and gold, but I scrapped the idea pretty quickly. In my search to place it elsewhere, I came across Calgary. I liked how a darker brown looked with the red and gold, and I also thought it helped to add a sort of western feel to it. So, Calgary it was. No secondary logos for Calgary. Though I did like the horse logo of the 00's, I felt re-integrating it or making a new logo altogether went against my idea for Calgary - which in the least amount of words would be "modern simplicity". I think the flaming-C is strong enough to stand on it's own and carry the identity.

NHLRedesignCALPresentation.png

As far as uniforms go, I made my own loosely-inspired spin of the early 00's uniforms, tweaking the striping up a little both in pattern and in color. I went with white numbers and "C" on the home reds, because I just like the look of it better against the red than I do the dark (partly why I prefer the reds of the late 90's over the reds of the 00's and now). The third is a throwback-inspired brown jersey. I went through a good three or four ideas for the third before I decided to try this one out, and I just liked the look of it better. I felt it was a nice bridge between this new brown-infused identity and the past.

NHLRedesignCALHome.png

NHLRedesignCALRoad.png

NHLRedesignCALThird.png

Alright, let the C&C rip! :)

Just a quick note - and I feel alright going ahead and saying this - you all probably won't get a Carolina teaser, because I feel it would be uneccesary given the little I changed. Carolina IS getting a completely new 3rd, though, so the concept won't all be just a small tweak here and there.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I don't like the 3rd. I'm really not sure why, it might just be because I'm so used to seeing them in black that I can't like Calgary in brown. But if this were to be real. I don't think the brown would be so prominent that there would be a whole brown jersey. Maybe gold?

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Carolina IS getting a completely new 3rd, though, so the concept won't all be just a small tweak here and there.

Based off the Whalers jerseys, right? I love the Flames. Nice work with the brown, it makes the colours pop more consistently.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

That shade of brown looks burgundy/deep red, do I'd make it closer to "actual" brown. other than that, it's a nice set, but I'm just not feeling the alt.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thanks guys, glad to get some feedback! So the consensus seems against the Calgary 3rd for the most part...is it the brown color, or the red numbers/crest against the brown? Or the design itself? Could white numbers/crest against the brown work better?

And Cody, the Carolina 3rd has no ties or inspirations to the Whalers at all. I'll see if I can get to my computer and get Carolina up tonight...if so, I could potentially get Chicago up too, which is just some small work away from being finished.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Archived