knnhrvy's NHL Redesign

knnhrvy16

Hey guys!

Some of you may remember a few weeks ago my topic about team color help. Well, I'm far enough along my preparations that I'm ready to start posting some concepts. As I stated in the other thread, I'll be posting team-specific teasers first (much like you see with the leading up to real-life unveilings) to kick things off, then shortly therafter, the logos and uniforms. I like to go alphabetical, so first up is Anaheim. I should have the logos and uniforms posted here within the hour or so.

Teaser:

NHLRedesignANATeaser.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, sorry to have to keep you waiting for the Jets, Husker! :P If it helps any, I really like what I've got going for them. I promise I'll take good care of 'em! :P

And cohen, I have uniform designs all finished, but not all of the logos are quite there yet. For the most part as far as that goes, along with some responsibilities I have to take care of outside of the boards, I should get at the very least a team a day, likely two if it's a good day (which I should have more of than not). :)

Anyways....coming fresh out of the gate and onto the rink is the Anaheim...MIGHTY Ducks!

Just some background first before I post the stuff. First off, as many of you probably well know, I terribly miss the Mighty Duck days. I think that was one of the best identities in sports. If I had my way I'd go completely back to that set, jerseys and all. BUT, for the purposes of this redesign, I wanted to show a more modern take.

The logo was actually somewhat inspired by Anaheim's former AHL affiliate, the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks. Instead of recycling the Disney Mask for Cincinnati, they used a different logo featuring a duck wearing a helmet instead. I really liked the potential that direction had, so I went with my own version of a helmet-donning duck instead. The secondary logos are sort of roundels with a more simplified webbed-D. I thought with "Mighty Ducks", a sort of roundel would fit in that fighting, combative theme.

NHLRedesignANAPresentation.png

As far as the uniforms go, not a whole lot to say. Obviously, quite inspired by the Mighty Duck era. I just tried to give that look a modern twist. The roundels adorn the shoulders on the home and road, whereas it's center stage as the primary crest on the jade alternate.

NHLRedesignANAHome.png

NHLRedesignANARoad.png

NHLRedesignANAThird.png

C&C appreciated and encouraged as always! Thanks for viewing! Boston teaser will be up as soon as package is closer to being finished.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Jerseys: Lookin' good. I'd use their current font and (this is really nitpicky) add teal to the road jersey collar, but other than that, they're solid.

Logos: For the shoulder patch, try to make the "D"/duck footprint a bit rounder so it looks more like a "D" (about as curved as their current one is). As far as the primary logo is concerned, I suggest you make the duck head a tad bit bigger.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I really wish Anaheim would go back to this color scheme. It was unique and actually worked. Perhaps if you re-do it again you could put #16 on there? I always wanted to see what George Parros' uniform would look like with the old colors.

I think this is a really good concept and a great idea (and this is coming from someone whose hated the Mighty Ducks brand), I'm going to be really nitpicky. With minor modifications, this might be the best Ducks concept on this board, period.

The border on the primary logo needs to be thicker. Don't lose the details by covering them up, it might work just fine to thicken it outwards. It just seems too thin for a sports logo. That would also mean thinning the white outline of it on the jade jersey, which is a little too thick.

Shouldn't the duck's bill run onto his face a little bit? They kinda look like two separate pieces. Just extending the bottom right corner of the bill to overlap the face just a little bit will make a world of difference. Not much, maybe just enough to interrupt the curve of the head.

The advice on making the D-foot a little more round is very solid, as is adding teal to the white jersey's collar. Is it just me, or is the D-foot just slightly off-center in the circle? Maybe a bit too high, maybe a little to the left?

Love the jerseys, perfect choices for all of them.

What exactly is the shoulder patch? Personally, I think you should use the D-foot in circle just as it is on the green, even if it makes it a mostly white logo on a white jersey. It'll work.

Add the primary logo as a shoulder logo on the third.

Ok, that was really nitpicky, with the most important stuff first. Seriously, tweak this logo and get it perfect, I really think you've knocked it out of the park on this one. Bravo!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I love the idea behind the duck. At first (based on your teaser) I thougt you were goining to have a duck's head at the end of a hockey stick :P.

Something just seems a little unflattering with the way the duck-foot-D comes to a point on the right side. Same thing with the shield in the primary logo. Both would look better if they were brought in and not curved short so drastacally.

The jersey designs are top-notch, though! Don't have any real suggestions as far as the uni's go.

PS. What design program are you using to create logos? I was confused because although they apear to have been rendered in vector, the Uni's seem to be made in paint (or another raster program).

2043050vl19qK6.gif

the jersey and color scheme is a 10/10

the main logo is 7/10: I love the duck face and head design, too much white though. the helmet gets lost, wish you could invert the colors some how and have the helmet purple and the accents either white or a darker purple. the neck and wings is where it really loses me. i know you want to add more depth to it but it just looks like the whole duck body was there and you just slapped the triangle around the head and misc other parts and cut out the rest ya know?

the third logo looks more like an arrow head than a foot imo.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

For some reason I just really love the alternate logo and uniform. The simplicity and color scheme is fantastic. The only thing is, I'd make the end more rounded to look more like a 'D'. The primary logo is pretty good, not great, but it has the potential. I'm just seeing too much white in there. Have/had you ever considered making the duck's helmet a different color? Green/teal (or whatever you call it) perhaps. The jerseys are fantastic though, I wouldn't change anything about them.

This being your first concept of the series: I really anticipate what you have next. Keep up the good work, I'll definitely be watching this thread.

Thank you all very much for your comments! Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you all, I got sidetracked a little more than I had expected last night. I've read all of your comments and appreciate every one of them, as well as the kind words! Glad to see that for the most part, this is a success. To answer the question about the program, I still use paint for the most part (still trying to learn inkscape, but I'm having little luck), but I vectorize my logos with vectormagic.com. I've tried to vector the uniforms, but unfortunately it distorts a great deal of the uniform, so I keep them in paint.

I have a crest update for you all (I'll be getting to the Webbed-D here soon as well).

The crest underwent a few notable changes, namely the shape of the shield, the color of the helmet, and the duck bill. I decreased the size of the shield as well as changed it's shape a bit, to put greater emphasis on the head (as it was suggested to make it a tad bigger). As far as the helmet goes, I did experiment with a jade helmet and an eggplant helmet, but I could get neither to look as good as I wanted. The jade blended in with the background too much, and the eggplant just looked too awkward to work for some reason (had to do with shading and such, the light sources just didn't work if that makes any sense). So, I went with a gray helmet instead. Does this work better? If not, I'd be happy to take any suggestion and keep working at it. And finally, the duck bill. At first I just adjusted the side of the bill a little as suggested, but then I added the mouth itself to add a little to the duck. Good? Bad?

NHL_Redesign_ANA_Logo_vectorized_free3.png

I want to ensure that the crest works before I slap them on the uniforms, so those updates will come after I get the crest right. Thanks again for all of your help! Keep it coming!

OH...and who wants a Boston teaser?? Well, here it is anyways :P

NHLRedesignBOSteaser.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Any comments at all on the Anaheim update?

Hope you all don't mind me moving along...I just don't want to go too far into updating Anaheim until I see how I'm doing with the crest :)

Anyways, the Bruins have taken the rink.

Now, let me just preface by saying I LOVE the Bruins' classic look. However, with this series, I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone a little with a few teams. Boston turned out to be one of those teams. In the "Hub-B", I'd always saw potential for a bear head, but I couldn't quite execute it well every time I tried. Finally, I sketched out a try that I think, this time, works. So here it is, the hub-inspired bear head:

NHLRedesignBOSPresentation.png

The uniforms are sent in a new direction, but not without its inspirations from Bruins history. I always thought if the pattern on the much-hated gold alternates from the early 00's was toned down a bit, it could make for something really neat. I also liked how the more simplified look of the late-80's/early 90's Bruins uniforms looked, so I drew a tad bit of inspiration from those as well. The gold alternate is more directly inspired by the early 00's gold alternates, just more toned down as aforementioned.

NHLRedesignBOSHome2.png

NHLRedesignBOSAway.png

NHLRedesignBOSHome.png

So...let 'er rip! Buffalo is next, there's a chance I could have them done by today but I'm not guaranteeing it. If so, it will be late tonight. Stay tuned!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Anaheim update looks good. Using a neutral colour like grey for the helmet is best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston:

I like the jerseys, but the stripes need to be a lot thicker on the home and road.

The idea behind the logo is great, but the execution is lacking. It looks like a basketball with ears and a squinting face. The ears are fine, but try to fix the "basketball effect" and make the face more obvious.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Now, let me just preface by saying I LOVE the Bruins' classic look. However, with this series, I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone a little with a few teams. Boston turned out to be one of those teams.

I always thought if the pattern on the much-hated gold alternates from the early 00's was toned down a bit, it could make for something really neat. I also liked how the more simplified look of the late-80's/early 90's Bruins uniforms looked, so I drew a tad bit of inspiration from those as well. The gold alternate is more directly inspired by the early 00's gold alternates, just more toned down as aforementioned.

Exactly my sentiment. Good on you for taking this direction with a classic team like the Bruins.

I'm not so much sold on the home and aways as much as I am the alt. Maybe if you used that template for the primaries instead.

Also I'll second what Bubba said about the basketball looking logo, it needs tweaking

Midway.png

First of all, I never knew Vector Magic existed! Thank you for that, being a Paint user myself, its such an improvement when you run Paint logos through it!

Anaheim - I love the Mighty Ducks era. I was just getting into hockey in around 1997/8 and I remember thinking it was so unique, and frickin cool! Very nice to see those colours back. I thought the duck / mask logo they had was the baddest thing ive seen on a jersey and I still love it, but I like how you've modernised the whole look with a different logo. The updated one is much better by the way. Awesome redesign.

Boston - Again, I like it, but I echo the sentiments about the basketball look. I can see what you're doing but Im not sure if its going to work? I also like the fact that you're doing something abit different, I do love it when more traditional teams get a re do on these boards thats not 'the norm'. Nice work, look forward to the rest

sigen.jpg

Haha, you know what's funny is that my original plan was to use that alternate template on all three! I just thought it wouldn't be liked too much, so I relegated it to 3rd only. I can most certainly try it out on the home and road again.

And this is good stuff to know about the bear head, I'd be happy to tweak it around. But the idea is there, I take it? I was a little worried at first, wasn't sure how the idea itself would be recieved.

Thanks again everyone! Keep it coming. As mentioned, further Anaheim and Boston updates as well as Buffalo are next up, likely tomorrow (possibly late tonight).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

hey there knnhrvy16. i like what you have done here, but i am just not liking the loose pixel template your giving us. try and use an actual template like this one i frequently use: Standard%2BReebok%2BEdge%2BJersey%2BTemplate.png

I am a paint user myself. go look at my work. its not messy, is it? i just want to see the jerseys at there best. btw, i love your logos. except the bruins basketball thing.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Archived