knnhrvy's NHL Redesign

knnhrvy16

I don't know if it's just me, but that brown looks like a deep red and it doesn't work too well for me. The away jersey isn't so bad, but that's only because it doesn't contain the white 'C' logo, I never did like that logo for some reason, at least not with the current color scheme. The 3rd is okay, it's not anything spectacular but then again it's not particularly bad by any means.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a really good concept and a great idea (and this is coming from someone whose hated the Mighty Ducks brand), I'm going to be really nitpicky. With minor modifications, this might be the best Ducks concept on this board, period.

The border on the primary logo needs to be thicker. Don't lose the details by covering them up, it might work just fine to thicken it outwards. It just seems too thin for a sports logo. That would also mean thinning the white outline of it on the jade jersey, which is a little too thick.

Shouldn't the duck's bill run onto his face a little bit? They kinda look like two separate pieces. Just extending the bottom right corner of the bill to overlap the face just a little bit will make a world of difference. Not much, maybe just enough to interrupt the curve of the head.

The advice on making the D-foot a little more round is very solid, as is adding teal to the white jersey's collar. Is it just me, or is the D-foot just slightly off-center in the circle? Maybe a bit too high, maybe a little to the left?

Love the jerseys, perfect choices for all of them.

What exactly is the shoulder patch? Personally, I think you should use the D-foot in circle just as it is on the green, even if it makes it a mostly white logo on a white jersey. It'll work.

Add the primary logo as a shoulder logo on the third.

Ok, that was really nitpicky, with the most important stuff first. Seriously, tweak this logo and get it perfect, I really think you've knocked it out of the park on this one. Bravo!

the jersey and color scheme is a 10/10

the main logo is 7/10: I love the duck face and head design, too much white though. the helmet gets lost, wish you could invert the colors some how and have the helmet purple and the accents either white or a darker purple. the neck and wings is where it really loses me. i know you want to add more depth to it but it just looks like the whole duck body was there and you just slapped the triangle around the head and misc other parts and cut out the rest ya know?

the third logo looks more like an arrow head than a foot imo.

I ditto the expanded border thickness, but you may also want to consider bringing in the light from the front of the head. The way the duck is currently presented the sun comes in from the right to the back of the head. I think you want him lit from the front, that will make the middle and rear of the helmet a darker color, and the the forehead to mid will be the highlighted white. It give the impression of forward movement.

FOR BOSTON: Try grabbing each eye individually and make them larger, it will make them look less pinched.

I gotta throw this out there, I am not a big fan of the Bruins Logo... looks way to juvenile. Like you were making a logo for the U-12 Baby Bruins. It looks like some bad stuffed animal, there's got to be another route you can take for this one, sorry man.

Also i don't know if the dark red/brown works with the flames. Good luck with the rest of the teams patiently waiting for the rest of the teams.

Hope you all are ready for a two-fer, because I am! :D

First up, Carolina. No explanation needed for the logos - kept them both. I tweaked the red ever so slightly, but that's really the only thing I changed regarding the logos and scheme.

NHLRedesignCARPresentation.png

The home and road uniforms also underwent minor tweaks. I curved the sleeve stripe to give the uniform a little more "motion", and simplified the hem stripe a tad. The alternate however, is completely new. I went with a traditional, classic striping design but filled in with hurricane flags. In figuring out what to put on the front, I decided against the flag logo because I thought with flags dominating the uniform already, the use of the flag logo would be redundant. I also didn't want to just use the hurricane on all three uniforms, so I decided to to put a diagonal-running "CANES" on the front instead.

NHLRedesignCARHome.png

NHLRedesignCARRoad.png

NHLRedesignCARThird.png

Chicago will be up on the next post within minutes.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

With Chicago, I wanted to update the Blackhawk first and foremost. I think that while a classic logo, the crest was in need of some streamlining and cleaning. The tomahawk-C remains the secondary.

NHLRedesignCHIPresentation.png

The uniforms, for the most part, underwent minor tweaks as well. Added lace-up collars on all three, and replicated the hem stripe pattern of the homes on the sleeves for consistency. The road uniforms now have red numbers rather than black (just something I've always wanted to see tried out. I rather like how it looks). The third uniform is new, basically a black version of the home. This time, however, the tomahawk-C adorns the front as the primary crest. I've always thought it would make for a fine alternate uniform crest, and have been dissapointed that it hasn't been used as such up to this point. I decided I'd go ahead and give it a go, and I really like how it turned out against the black.

NHLRedesignCHIHome.png

NHLRedesignCHIRoad.png

NHLRedesignCHIThird.png

Alrighty, bring in the comments!

Also, some quick questions regarding past teams:

- Regarding the Calgary 3rd, should I keep the design and change the colors, or keep the colors and change the design? Or scrap it altogether?

- I'm heavily considering scrapping the Bruins bear head and just using the hub-B instead. Every way I've tried to sketch it, I just can't get that bear head to work. Think I should go ahead and let it go?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The Hurricanes look pretty sharp. I really like the third jersey. The Blackhawks look great too, I love the updated logo! Regarding the Bruins, I really think you had a good idea with your logo, it was something different and out of the box. But if you feel as though you've done everything you can and you still can't get it to work, then yeah, just go to the spoked 'B'.

Carolina: I like everything you did, but black equipment might look better with the third.

Chicago: I like the updated logo. I don't like the red numbers on the away, or the tomahawk-C logo on the third. I just think that logo works best as a shoulder patch.

And to answer your questions, I didn't like Calgary's third that much so maybe scap it altogether, and if you can't get Boston's logo to work how you want just let it go.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

The Blackhawks logo looks sharp, but the tomahawk logo on the alt needs a white outline. Carolina looks good, but I'd make the numbers and NOB white with a red outline. Also the "CANES" script just doesn't work for me.

Regarding Calgary, you're best off scrapping the third.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I appreciate the help guys, thank you all!

Things are probably going to slow down a little more for at least the next week. My brother is graduating from High School next week, and with family coming up here all the way from Texas for the week I'm going to be out and about spending time with them. I apologize for these delays, it's my mistake for not anticipating just how much I'd be out. BUT, the series is still going to go forward no matter how slow the rate. Once I'm in a good pocket of time, the pace will pick up again. This frankly is why I finished every team's uniform first so in the event delays were to take place, I wouldn't have 20+ teams with nothing to them :P

So, this may fall to page two or so temporarily, but as soon as I can get some time this will be off and running again. Might only be two or so posts next week, but it'll be something at least. :) Colorado and Columbus will be next - get ready for some pretty significant changes to both!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Annnnd I'm back!

First time I've been able to get to an actual computer in some weeks (all posts since have been from my iPod), due to, first, taking a week off to spend visiting family, and second, the unexpected virus that hit my desktop and the recovery that wiped everything out. Luckily, I had my files saved in my email (as I do with all concepts, just in case), so I was able to go back to them as soon as I had access to another computer.

Hope you all don't mind, but I'm going to go out of order here and post a few concepts that were already finished, but because I was going alphabetically before, were "in waiting". I'm currently stumped on Colorado's logo and don't want it to stall this series any further, so I'm doing as I mentioned and posting what gets finished rather than alphabetical. You'll also notice that the presentation is a little different - no logos posted with the uniforms. This is because unless I either introduce a new logo or make big updates to an existing one, I feel it'd be redundant to post logos we've all already seen. So without further ado, here's four products.

1) Columbus. I went full-on Civil War era double blues with this one. I really love the cap logo, and decided to remove the text and of course, apply the new double blues to it. The uniforms are heavily inspired by real Union blue jackets. I didn't like any of my third ideas, so I kept the set at the home and road.

NHLRedesignCMBHome.png

NHLRedesignCMBRoad.png

2) Montreal. Not a whole lot of changes here at all - added a draw-string collar to hearken back to the Canadiens dynasties of the 50's-70's, placed "HABS" on the helmets, tweaked the road whites sleeve striping a bit for continuity, and introduced a blue third.

NHLRedesignMONHome.png

NHLRedesignMONRoad.png

NHLRedesignMONThird.png

Next two teams, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, will be up in the next five minutes.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

3) Philadelphia. I'm so-so on Philadelphia's current set, but in changing them still wanted to maintain a classic look. I liked how vintage white looked with orange and black on their recent Winter Classics, so I ran with that instead of white and tried my hand at a design that would retain a classic feel for Philly. Another Winter Classic inspiration was the keystone captain patches. I also really like this logo Philly used some years ago, and thought it'd make for a cool third crest.

The result is this set here:

NHLRedesignPHIHome.png

NHLRedesignPHIRoad.png

NHLRedesignPHIThird.png

And finally, 4) Pittsburgh. This set is really a mashing of eras, with the primary inspirations being the 60's-70's and the late 90's. I think you guys will be able to pick up on it all, not much I have to explain. :)

NHLRedesignPITHome.png

NHLRedesignPITRoad.png

NHLRedesignPITThird.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Here are my opinions-

Columbus- Good color scheme and idea, but I think the center of the jersey is too blah. You should either try a more exciting logo or add some kind of text.

Montreal- Good. No problems with that set.

Philadelphia- The main home and away jerseys look great and I love the captain patch. 3rd jersey logo is just not working for me, but I like the idea of a keystone-based logo. Try playing around with that because the captain patch is cool.

Pittsburgh- I like the logos and combination of eras. However, I think the striping is overboard, and I don't like the number font. Colors are good though.

Glad to see this back, and hope this helps!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

I like the Blue Jackets, especially the color scheme and chevrons, but I feel that you could spice up the jerseys with a shoulder patch, and I think that maybe putting the hat in a vintage-looking shield would look better than the circle.

The Canadians look good, I don't have any complaints.

Philadelphia looks awesome, I really love the third jersey and the keystone captain's patches.

Pittsburgh is a really unique, good looking mash-up, I'm really digging the third.

Overall great work, I'm excited for more!

spacer.png

Columbus: Jerseys look great, but I don't think that logo is good enough to be a primary logo. I'm also not sure if I would like the light blue pants.

Montreal: I like everything you did.

Philadelphia: I miss the sleeve-length stripes that the Flyers have always had, and I hate the vintage white.

Pittsburgh: I'm not a big fan of the home and road jerseys. I don't like all that grey, and I think the logo needs an outline on the home jersey. The third is nice though.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

Boston: keep working on that Bear primary logo, it has a lot of potential, and it's very creative. The execution just needs to be better. With the jerseys, the yellows should be the home and the blacks should be the alt

Calgary: I don't really like the striping. Also I don't think the white C looks good on the home jersey.

Carolina: good

Chicago: Great. The third jersey is especially good.

Columbus: the logo isn't exciting enough, but I love the sleeve striping

Montreal: screw alphabetical order... Perfect. I love the addition of HABS, maybe you could make that more prominent

Philadelphia: I like the cream instead of the white and the keystone is brilliant. It shows that the Flyers are Pennsylvania's team. Haha Pittsburgh. The third jersey logo reminds me of Johnny Canuck. He needs to have a name...

Pittsburgh: love it. I didn't think black and gray could work for the Pens, but you made it work. The alt is beautiful

• 3 weeks later...

Boston: I think you should just us the bear with the spoke in it

Calgary: Good idea bad execution

Carolina: Amazing. No additions needed

Chicago: No nit-picks save for the fact that the crossed tomahawks logo needs a white outline

Columbus: Interesting concept but I have no comments

Montreal: Coming from a habs fan I think the sleeve numbers are a bit too big and i think that on the blue alternate there should be HABS in white as a shoulder yoke

Philadelphia: Perfect but i think the guy should be called Bell the Flyer Fanatic

Pittsburgh: ME NO LIKEY

Exposgotrobbed94.png

Never Forget 1994

expostimeline.png

Lincecum Eephus Pitch

Columbus: It is a good idea but the jerseys just seem so plain. Also, powder blue pants would not look good at all on ice.

Montreal: Not bad. Pretty simple but I'm not sure how I feel about a blue jersey for the Habs.

Phila: I like the captain idea and its pretty simple. However, I have no idea what that logo on the alternate is.

Pitt: The mash up of eras simply doesn't work here. The gray just looks wrong and I've always hated those uniforms so maybe I'm biased.

Keep at it!

g4104.png

swap out the gray for gold and you might have something with Pittsburgh. We ARE black and gold, after all. I can't say I'm a fan of them, but they would work then. I like the third, that's very different and yet hits on a number of eras without looking entirely like any of them.

Columbus I really like. It's simple, so simple it works. It looks an awful lot like a Union uniform, which I suppose is the whole point. If Union pants weren't a lighter blue, I'd balk at that too, as most hockey players would, but it's a sacrifice for the right reasons.

Montreal's I always worry with, it's a design that really should never change, which is why it hasn't. Your changes are pretty good. I'd be ok with them as a habs fan. The blue alt could simply be dropped though, they're not really a good third jersey team anyways, unless it's a straight throwback to way back.

I'd like Philly, too, but their over-shoulder stripe is so unique that it would be a shame to use. They started it, they've always had it. The third logo...just no.

I'm surprised, usually I cringe at series like this, usually ones moving so quickly, but you're doing a good job here and throwing out some unique ideas. Keep it up.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived