High Schools that copy/rip off Colleges and the Pros

charger77

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This showed up in a volleyball video I was watching. Not sure what school it is, but the logo is a hybrid of these two.

2327.gif

+

35.gif

=

SX0Iv.png

Wow, CFL + NHL...doesn't even look like they bothered with changing the colors.

They didn't. (I found the school and edited the previous post)

Sabres.jpgSaunders Sabres

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5_news.jpg

I know I'll sound juvenile, but this guy should stop eating at Taco Bell...

Seriously, who ever put together this montage should have considered the location of the smoky effect...

<_<

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

But just for the record: does anyone actually know what copyright laws say about the whole use of a professional team's logo, including alteration (recolouring or adding/removing elements)?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

And St Amant High School outside of Baton Rouge, LA used to use several logos from the University of Florida. Recently they were ordered to stop though:

*snip*

Here's what they switched to for their helmets just before last season:

*snip*

What is funny is that they allow several schools in the state of Florida to use it ... not sure if they pay some kind of fee or not. At least one of them actually rock the logos in UF's colors.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

matt_marrero.jpg

That purple & gold team are exactly what I wish my high school, Milwaukee Washington (which certainly qualifies in this thread in their own right), looked like. They had the same basic look since before I was in high school, the only difference is that now they went from using a straight up recolored Motion W (when I played) to a mangled Motion W to a paw print with a block W inside.

purgoldersfb.png

matt_marrero.jpg

That purple & gold team are exactly what I wish my high school, Milwaukee Washington, looked like. They had the same basic look since before I was in high school, the only difference is that now they went from using a straight up recolored Motion W (when I played) to a mangled Motion W to a paw print with a block W inside.

purgoldersfb.png

That's my alma mater, Hahnville High in Louisiana. For one season they went with traditional helmet striping which looked much better than the stripes in that picture.

gYH2mW9.png

This showed up in a volleyball video I was watching. Not sure what school it is, but the logo is a hybrid of these two.

2327.gif

+

35.gif

=

SX0Iv.png

Wow, CFL + NHL...doesn't even look like they bothered with changing the colors.

They didn't. (I found the school and edited the previous post)

Sabres.jpgSaunders Sabres

That's just stupid... aside from having totally different color schemes, it looks like the tiger is about to be eviscerated by a giant pair of scissors. That's also what I absolutely hated about that "updated" Sabres logo by Celsius that made the rounds here for the longest time... I was so glad Buffalo didn't adopt that one.

But just for the record: does anyone actually know what copyright laws say about the whole use of a professional team's logo, including alteration (recolouring or adding/removing elements)?

The NFL does not really care as illustrated if you look at a previous thread here or search the topic.

And St Amant High School outside of Baton Rouge, LA used to use several logos from the University of Florida. Recently they were ordered to stop though:

*snip*

Here's what they switched to for their helmets just before last season:

*snip*

What is funny is that they allow several schools in the state of Florida to use it ... not sure if they pay some kind of fee or not. At least one of them actually rock the logos in UF's colors.

The schools generally rely on the CLC since they are given the license and the ability to stop illegal usage. When some institutional counsel get an email is when they act. Some school just ask for $1/year to use the likeness by the school, but costs increase for the cost of the decals as opposed to clip art. K-State asks for $1/year for usage of the powercat.

ASU once famously got into a tangle with a local high school using a blue Sparky when they had to come up from Tucson to play in a championship game at Sun Devil Stadium. Today, Sunnyside High School has a completely different devil logo (ASU had to design it for them as part of the terms of the settlement) though Valley Union High School (8-man football) still uses it, if not on their helmets then at least on their website.

Ugh... I didn't even notice those stripes til now. It makes no sense to have those when the actual uniform is so traditional.

For years the team used purple helmets. When the current coach came in over 10 years ago, he came up with the "Motion H" logo and put it on a purple shell with the Broncos-style striping. They looked like this:

ParishFootballAwards-Isaac.jpgParishFootballAwards-Rousse.jpg

Then they moved to a different uniform template with thin piping.

44963.jpg

It's strange indeed because even with the new modern template, they went with the traditional helmet striping.

bf0f87e7b8149e5d049c27aabbc7238e.jpg

Then, when they went with the ultra traditional jersey and pant striping, they went back to the pointy helmet stripes:

-dadc41f17b5ec2f6.jpg

-4703dfa47c0a3fb2.jpg

If they were to go back to the purple-white-purple striping then their set would be perfect.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived