High Schools that copy/rip off Colleges and the Pros

charger77

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Armada High School (Michigan) went from ripping off the Cincinnati Bengals to ripping off Arizona.

Then

4113583_orig.jpeg

Bonus points for simaltaneously ripping off Clemson as well :lol:

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Yeah, I really don't see the big deal. Kinda hard to create your logo when there are THOUSANDS of schools out there with the same nickname, colors, and even the same school name. So yes, there are several high schools out there who copy college and pro teams, but to say they "rip off" other teams is a bit strong.

That said, with the 1,721 (and counting) high schools here in Texas, several of them have logos of other teams.... I'll list a few later.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Kinda hard to create your logo when there are THOUSANDS of schools out there with the same nickname, colors, and even the same school name.

This might be the dumbest line I've EVER read on this site. "What's the point in trying to be original and build a brand because there are thousands of other schools."

Yeah, I really don't see the big deal. Kinda hard to create your logo when there are THOUSANDS of schools out there with the same nickname, colors, and even the same school name. So yes, there are several high schools out there who copy college and pro teams, but to say they "rip off" other teams is a bit strong.

That said, with the 1,721 (and counting) high schools here in Texas, several of them have logos of other teams.... I'll list a few later.

And there are 7 billion people on planet earth, yet you've managed to come up with a semi-unique opinion... but why try, you know?

Armada High School (Michigan) went from ripping off the Cincinnati Bengals to ripping off Arizona.

Then

4113583_orig.jpeg

Now

9110631_orig.jpg

What about Romeo and Fresno State, Dan?

Kinda hard to create your logo when there are THOUSANDS of schools out there with the same nickname, colors, and even the same school name.

This might be the dumbest line I've EVER read on this site. "What's the point in trying to be original and build a brand because there are thousands of other schools."

Not even close what I said at all. :rolleyes:

My point was that you're bound to have some schools with the same logos.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

What about Romeo and Fresno State, Dan?

Well, no crap. That isn't the Bulldog I played under. I haven't kept up on them in a few years. Even if it wasn't the Fresno logo it is a downgrade. I know their hockey teams uses the Ferris logo on their jerseys.

Current Romeo Bulldogs:

romeo-mi.gif

The actual helmet I wore when I played there:

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I understand the whole copyright/originality argument, I really do. To be fair though, most high schools can't afford to pay a graphic designer to create an original branding for them.

Even staging some sort of "create a new logo contest" within the school guarantees nothing.

• A) You're assuming that the school has some kid(s) enrolled there with the talent to create a logo good enough to be posted on uniforms, banners, t-shirts, etc. Assumptions often times lead to disappointment.
  • B ) You're also assuming the student body cares about that kind of thing. School spirit is not a given at every school (Happened at my high school, got no results).
  • C) If it's anything like the area I grew up in, the school district may actually end up owning the rights to the logos. Not the individual schools themselves. What would be the point of going through all the trouble just to have a governing body take control of "your logo" AND control how/when it's used.

If any of these high schools are attempting to make a profit off a copyrighted logo (ie selling merchandise with an NFL/NCAA team's logo), then by all means that schools should face the consequences.

Let's be honest though, the majority of the high school teams that use copyrighted logos are doing it simply because they want to look cool. In situations like that, I believe some sort of deal can be made to allow the HS to use it without getting lawyers involved.

Honestly if any NFL/NCAA team went through with legal action they'd ultimately have to drop the case due to the public backlash of a multi million team/program suing some rinky dink high school. Even if they were well within their rights to file a suit.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Here's a rarity - a college team ripping off a pro team. Eastern Michigan wore head-to-toe Jets ripoffs in the early 2000's.

93817_emu.JPG

johnwhiteemuvsusc0916.jpg

That's not the same. EMU didn't rip the Jets copyrighted logo. They just used the same uniform template and colors, which was made available to them by whoever their uniform supplier was at the time.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Even staging some sort of "create a new logo contest" within the school guarantees nothing.

• A) You're assuming that the school has some kid(s) enrolled there with the talent to create a logo good enough to be posted on uniforms, banners, t-shirts, etc. Assumptions often times lead to disappointment.
  • B ) You're also assuming the student body cares about that kind of thing. School spirit is not a given at every school (Happened at my high school, got no results).
  • C) If it's anything like the area I grew up in, the school district may actually end up owning the rights to the logos. Not the individual schools themselves. What would be the point of going through all the trouble just to have a governing body take control of "your logo" AND control how/when it's used.

Speaking of which, our high school had a logo contest that I entered..... still pisses me off today that it never saw the light of day (as far as I know, the guy who ran the contest took all of our designs with him when he went to another school).

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Archived