Lights Out's NFL: Revisited

Lights Out

Cowboys: The home needs more white. Numbers and shoulder stars? Other than that I like it.

Bengals: Go back to their current font (sans drop shadow) and make the road collar white and it's perfect.

Seahawks: Big miss here IMO. The fonts you used look pretty bad, and there's not enough silver in the jerseys. Not a fan of the jersey striping either. One of the biggest problems with the current set is the ridiculous looking striping, and yours is pretty similar. I would run with your idea on the pants striping and put it on the sleeves.

Colts: I actually really like these. It's bold, but it works.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

0XM8s.png

YLS0M.png

The Niners' identity is currently a total downgrade from what they had before, featuring seemingly-random color distribution, bizarre interrupted sleeve stripes, and boring fonts. I took the uniforms they had before and cleaned them up, using a custom font, taking the logo off the sleeves, using the three stripes pattern on the pants, and creating a new primary logo and wordmark.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

FXSYF.png

The Colts have a very good primary logo, and not much else. The blue facemasks and pants return, but the striping design completely changes to match the horseshoe primary logo. Add a western font for the numbers, and voila.

The shoulder striping doesn't really work. An upside-down horse shoe is unlucky.

------

The custom font for the 49ers isn't working. The numbers are too quasi-Titans, and on the jersey, the drop shadow looks as bad as when Jacksonville tried skinny numbers with drop shadow in 1997. The letters aren't much better, but I really like the 3-stripe underline in the wordmark.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The 49ers concept has the makings of a great uniform, but the fonts are bringing it down. As adressed already, the numbers are much too Titans-ish and don't seem, at least to me, to fit a "49er" identity. That particular font just seems better fitted for, well, a team with an identity like the Titans. I'd go back to the drawing board in regard to the numbers. The uniform inspiration from the 90's set, though? Great move. The uniform itself, save the fonts, looks great. I also wonder how triple stripes on the socks could look... I think such a move would further improve an already nice design.

WSU mentioned my problem with the Colts' striping - it evokes the image of an unlucky horseshoe. Perhaps remove the heel notches from the shoe striping, so that it looks more like a stripe rather than a horseshoe. A traditional stripe featuring the nail holes would still get the idea across.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I don't mind the new wordmark, and I like the color scheme and striping alot. However, I don't like the new SF logo, and it is too big on the helmet. Also, I don't know if all the numbers look bad, but the 8 on the road jersey looks kinda like a squeezed B rather than an 8. Just see what you can do about that font.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

DETROIT LIONS

fQT3T.png

I5XZc.png

The Lions' current identity is solid, but there's a few things that annoy me: the usage of black when their color scheme would look better without it (I've actually come around to that opinion recently), the extraneous wavy lines in the mane of their updated lion logo, and the obnoxiously huge sleeve stripes that are still too reminiscent of the infamous 0-16 team. For the uniforms, I pared down and tapered off their striping, while keeping their custom font. I also brought back the blue road pants from the '90s, as that was a really cool look.

The helmets are the real star of the concept, though. While I was fiddling around with them, I realized that Detroit's logo would work really well in a Michigan Panthers-style treatment - so that's exactly what I did. I also brought back the Honolulu blue facemasks of old... way better than gray or black.

(I also noticed that the silver is a bit too dark - I was going off of ColorWerx's colors, and for whatever reason, Pantone classifies the bright metallic silver they use on the field as a dark, almost-charcoal gray.)

xLmjWVv.png

DALLAS COWBOYS

ntcvj.png

PZol7.png

The Cowboys' identity is quite frankly the biggest trainwreck in professional sports branding. They can't even choose one shade of blue and one shade of silver, let alone a number font, wordmark, or striping pattern. I gave them a complete overhaul, as it's sorely needed at this point. I picked their distinctive shades of navy and silver-green and used them for everything (while adding touches of white where necessary to prevent the uniforms from looking washed-out), and also brought back the '90s double-star uniforms in a slightly updated fashion. I brought back the Cowboys' iconic Staubach-era number font, and made a wordmark to match it. This uniform calls back to the Cowboys' storied past while also looking modern, fresh, and most importantly, consistent.

Get rid of the silver on the jerseys (or at least minimize it to where there's little silver) and it would be perfect.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Love the blue facemasks on Detroit, and the helmet, while pretty out there, looks pretty good. The wirdmark also looks great. Only thing I don't like is the pants striping, especially on the road jersey, I would play around some with that.

Cohenj.png

I'm with the others on the Niners. The font just doesn't work. I would keep the primary the same, use their current wordmark (with your three stripe design), and standard block numbers/NOB. You don't always have to use a custom number font...standard block is the most common for a reason. It looks good. HOWEVER, I do like the uniforms, and the inclusion of the 49/shield logo.

I like the Lions helmets a lot. It just works with that logo. The striping is odd though. I don't see how diamonds fit in with the Lions' identity.

ARIZONA CARDINALS

vybCd.png

7WO7d.png

The Cardinals' identity is another trainwreck from the era of obnoxious Reebok piping and panels. Even their updated logo doesn't look good compared to the classic bird. For this concept, I decided to bring back the sleeve design from their early-'90s road uniforms while also applying it to the home uniforms. Were those sleeves cluttered? Absolutely... but the clutter was part of its charm, IMO. I kept their custom font and current wordmarks as those look fine the way they are. Finally, as with the Lions, I decided to take a risk on a zany helmet. I think it works better than their boring white helmet with gray facemask.

xLmjWVv.png

I love everything about the jerseys, the sleeves, the omission of their current terrible sleeves and shoulders, and the pants striping. Great job on the jerseys. However, I think the new fiercer looking logo is much better than the old one, and I liked the Lions helmet but this one is a miss for me, I would keep the white domes with the logo but change the facemask and add some striping. I would just play around with that.

Cohenj.png

First off, their current logo IS an upgrade over the one you used. The old one looks dated, which is why it was replaced.

The helmets don't work like the Lions' helmet did. Keep them the same as now but with a red or black facemask. I like the throwback look of the jerseys, but the sleeves just don't work. Remove the cardinal head, put the Nike logos on the sleeves (one team can't have the swoosh in a different place), and you have a winner in my book.

I really loved this series until I seen that hideous Cardinals set. It reminds me of when they played at Arizona State and I thought that was the worst set the team ever had. The Dolphins are perfect along with the 49ers.

spacer.png

The Rams currently have one of the most boring, dreary uniform sets in the entire league. Their unnecessarily-dark colors look horrible, especially in the cavernous dome they play in, and the striping is really stale and generic.

The Cowboys' identity is quite frankly the biggest trainwreck in professional sports branding.

If the Cowboys have the league's ugliest mess of an identity, the Bengals are neck-and-neck with the Patriots for second-ugliest. I'd say the Bengals' current uniforms were dated, but they were never in style in the first place. )

The Colts have a very good primary logo, and not much else.

The Niners' identity is currently a total downgrade from what they had before, featuring seemingly-random color distribution, bizarre interrupted sleeve stripes, and boring fonts.

You really hate NFL uniforms.

ATLANTA FALCONS

p7sNK.png

zQG4M.png

Atlanta's current uniforms were decent when they first came out, but quickly became stale. Arizona switching to similar uniforms didn't help matters. I decided to freshen up Atlanta's look and simplify it a bit. Firstly, I decided to go back to the Jerry Glanville-inspired black-dominant color scheme, because it's more distinctive. Secondly, I used shoulder striping based around the logo, and thirdly, I used a custom inlined number font that matches better with the wordmarks.

xLmjWVv.png

I like where Atlanta is going. The logo-inspired striping works well, although I would make the home jersey striping match the pants striping, for consistency. I would also make the road numbers red for better color balance and as a nod to team history.

The one thing I don't like is the inlining. It's REALLY distracting and makes the font hard to read. I do like the numbers inspired by the wordmark though.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

C5Kqk.png

j9nxE.png

The Saints are so close to having one of the league's best identities. Unfortunately, they took a step back with the transition to Nike and didn't fix many of the problems with their current uniforms. While they finally settled on one shade of gold, they picked their lightest shade, which looks washed out and even gray at times. The uniforms are still too plain for a lively city like New Orleans, and their gold pants still have that ugly thick stripe. Most egregiously, they used the interrupted Flywire collar, which looks worse by the game. I kept the basic design of their uniforms but tweaked them a bit - I used their richer "Old Gold" color, added a simple wrought-iron striping pattern, and brought back gold numbers on the road. I also tweaked their helmet, and ditched the black home uniforms. Instead, I based their home look off of their amazing one-game gold jersey/black pants combo. Finally, I used a custom font.

xLmjWVv.png

I think the pants stripe on the Saints would work better without the logo above it. Too busy, choose one or the other. I love the white jerseys, looks like the Raiders with gold, which looks great.

I'm not crazy about gold jerseys. We saw them try this look and it wasn't pretty.

87Redskins.png

Archived