2014 MLB All Star Game

bigbean24

Today at 4pm CST the commissioner and the Minnesota Twins will announce that Target Field will host the 2014 MLB All Star Game. I'm looking for a live stream, if anybody finds one, please share. So what are your thoughts?

Here is the info: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/167606645.html?refer=y

(Please don't shun me for making this, if its not necessary, then take it down)

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Congratulations to the Twins for being selected to host the 2014 ASG at Target Field.

Here's hoping the Nats receive the honor to host the 2015 ASG.

However, I will not be shocked if the Marlins get the nod over the Nats for the event.

I've always thought Minneapolis/St. Paul to be one of the most underated baseball markets in the country so its nice to see them get it.

Been nearly 30 years as well since the last time they hosted it and 20 years prior to that, so they're definitely overdo in my opinion.

I've always thought Minneapolis/St. Paul to be one of the most underated baseball markets in the country so its nice to see them get it.

Been nearly 30 years as well since the last time they hosted it and 20 years prior to that, so they're definitely overdo in my opinion.

Oh my god you are right. Wow, I feel old. I recall seeing that game. My main memory is that Lou Whitaker forgot his jersey and had to buy one from the memorabilia stand (back then the Dome sold lots of stuff for other teams). Someone wrote his inform number (1, I think) in a black marker. Looked good, but they did not bother with the NOB.

As for Target Field in 2014, I am glad, though I would have understood if they'd gone with the rumored plan for Wrigley at age 100.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I still find it total horsecrap that the Nats have not hosted it yet. Watch 2015 go to Miami and then 2016 to the Yankees (despite them just hosting it in 2008), 2017 to San Diego, 2018 to Philly and you get the picture from there. I think what the idea is they want to alternate between the AL and the NL. But I hoping out for 2015 coming to DC

I think they're trying to keep it AL/NL/AL/NL and on and on after they made an exception to go NL/NL in 06-07 to make it at "old-new" Yankee Stadium in '08.

I still find it total horsecrap that the Nats have not hosted it yet. Watch 2015 go to Miami and then 2016 to the Yankees (despite them just hosting it in 2008), 2017 to San Diego, 2018 to Philly and you get the picture from there. I think what the idea is they want to alternate between the AL and the NL. But I hoping out for 2015 coming to DC

Do you know that they've even applied though? For instance, the reason the Mets haven't hosted one since '64 (until next year) is that they never applied to do it again.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Congratulations to the Twins for being selected to host the 2014 ASG at Target Field.

However, I will not be shocked if the Marlins get the nod over the Nats for the event.

I'm wondering when the Padres are going to get the nod. PETCO Park has been sitting here for several years more than Nationals Park and nary a peep. Hopefully with our new owners in place, as of this morning, they'll push for this in 2015 or 17.

Well for the new parks that have been open say since 2000:

Comerica opened in 2000; All-Star Game in 2005

AT&T Park opened in 2000; All-Star Game in 2007

Minute Maid Park opened in 2000; All-Star Game in 2004

PNC opened in 2001; All-Star Game in 2006

Miller Park opened in 2001; All-Star Game in 2002

Great American Ballpark opened in 2003; yet to host All-Star Game

Citizens Bank opened in 2004; yet to host All-Star Game

PETCO Park opened in 2004; yet to host All-Star Game

Busch Stadium opened in 2006; All-Star Game in 2009

Nationals Park opened in 2008; yet to host All-Star Game

Yankee Stadium III opened in 2009; yet to host All-Star Game

Citi Field opened in 2009; All-Star Game in 2013

Target Field opened in 2010; All-Star Game in 2014

Marlins Park opened in 2012; reportedly to host All-Star Game in 2015

So take what you want from this. I'd like to see the following...

2015: Nationals Park

2016: Fenway Park

2017: PETCO Park

2018: Great American Ballpark

2019: Citizens Bank

2020: Marlins Park

If you didn't notice, most of the newer stadiums in MLB is all in the NL

Minute Maid Park opened in 2000; All-Star Game in 2005

Minute Maid Park had the 2004 All-Star Game.

spacer.png

I don't feel strongly that the host park also has to be the home team, so they should go on an NL run just to get the rest of the new parks (that want to host) out of the way. Let's be honest, it's a neutral site game, so who cares who plays as the home team? The White Sox players on the AL team in 2014 won't suddenly feel a home-field advantage at Target Field.

At the very least they can double up the NL one more time to get back on the same even-odd track.

Also the BOB/Chase Field waited quite a long time (compared to the list above) despite their stated desire to host one.

(And the Wrigley 100-year-anniversary hopes hinged on the renovations coming through, and that seems to be nowhere near happening at all, let alone by 2014.)

Minute Maid Park opened in 2000; All-Star Game in 2005

I think Citizen's Bank should have to wait to 2026 Sequistennial

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Minute Maid Park opened in 2000; All-Star Game in 2004

Thank you for the correction.

I'm wondering when the Padres are going to get the nod. PETCO Park has been sitting here for several years more than Nationals Park and nary a peep. Hopefully with our new owners in place, as of this morning, they'll push for this in 2015 or 17.

I see your point and it would be fascinating to see an ASG in San Diego. However, since ASGs were recently hosted by the Giants in 2007 and Angels in 2010, I don't think that MLB would go back to California as soon as 2015, but 2017 seems more likely.

I think the three contenders for the 2015 ASG are Cincinnati, Miami, and Washington, D.C.

Did MLB make any promises to some teams? For example, they did everything including threatening contraction to the Twins. I am not aware of any "build it and we'll give you an ASG by 20XX" deal, but it occurred to me that maybe they did that for the more persistent communities.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Did MLB make any promises to some teams? For example, they did everything including threatening contraction to the Twins. I am not aware of any "build it and we'll give you an ASG by 20XX" deal, but it occurred to me that maybe they did that for the more persistent communities.

I don't know. I recall the NFL used to promise Super Bowls for towns that built new stadiums, but they seem to have backed off on that a little after the Jacksonville fiasco.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know. I recall the NFL used to promise Super Bowls for towns that built new stadiums, but they seem to have backed off on that a little after the Jacksonville fiasco.

The owners awarded Super Bowl XLVIII to the NY Giants and NY Jets in May 2010 prior to any NFL games being played at the New Meadowlands Stadium, now known as MetLife Stadium.

Archived