Milwaukee Bucks

rtrich11

I have dusted off and cleaned up an old concept here for the Milwaukee Bucks. I toy with this every few years, it seems. I'm trying to stay as far away from the deer+license plate look they currently have. Instead I tried to capture the strength and grace of a big buck.

Where I am getting stuck is on the secondary logos. I can't decide whether to go with the top route or the bottom route. I think I'll keep the top middle one in the books, but want to narrow down the rest.

BucksRichards1.jpg

The lack of highlights on the majority of the illustration make it feel very flat. It lacks form and definition. I would aim for a better balance of white and dark when you draw out the animal. I think the features you do have there could be a little bolder and more defined. They eye feels strange, like it's wearing a mask or something.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Those red strokes on the neck look really weird, and actually make it look like the bucks' neck is cut since it's red. I'd be curious to see how this would look with lime green. At first I welcomed the change to green & red since it got rid of those terrible purple unis, but I've come to realize how ugly that combo is pretty ugly itself.

I was also going to say something about the fact that the buck is looking backwards while not watching where it's going, but upon further thought, I decided that's depressingly appropriate for a team like the Bucks,

I like it, but the full-bodied buck needs some weight reduction. That dude has gout! Consider slimming him down and it would look better. Still, good job.

I agree, they're usually a lot for slender that what you have. Also I think option A is the best, but I don't like the red, seems out of place.

TOT-VANDERWaltersH.pngFPL-sig.pngTOT-VANDERWaltersA.png

Strong start, but I feel there are two things that need addressed for this to really sing. First up is the antlers. I know that the full bodied piece is kinda 3/4's on but I cant help feel that the head would be stronger if there was only one set of antlers. It would make for a cleaner space and give better definition of the shapes. The second thing is the red on the logos. It's a predominant colour on the logotype but appears to be an afterthought on the character logo. I'd suggest using it or losing it. If you're gonna put red on the Buck do it with REAL purpose. Be bold with it, try replacing the tint of green (could be grey my work monitor isn't great) that you're using right now with the red. Cos the red areas you have right now feel like you've them on there just so it will tie in with the logo type, and as others have said it's resulted in the poor Buck looking like it's had a run in with a barbed wire fence or just avoided being something bigger's dinner. Neither of which are really things you want to associate with a sports team.

Like I said it's a strong start, but keep working and you can make it even better! I look forward to seeing your updates.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I'm glad the subject of the red accents came up. I've always been torn about them. Adding red highlights on an animal that is often hunted will obviously make some people think "blood." I have had a hard time finding good places to put it on the animal. I am no fan of the Bucks colors, and they aren't helping in this case.

I'll look at the weight issue, though I'm not sure you'd like a skinny buck. I actually had thinner legs on this, but felt they weren't strong-looking. I'll see if a thinner torso does the same or helps with sleekness. I'll play.

This looks really sharp but I think the posture of the buck is a poor choice for a logo. As deer are prey, a buck running in one direction while looking over its shoulder suggests retreat from and fear of a predator. While I do not ascribe to the school of logo design that believes all logos must be mean, angry or fierce, a logo in retreat is not a strong image. I love the graphic style of your buck but think an ideal posture should be pensive, strong and noble (like the Hartford Insurance logo) or in a charge with lowered antlers as two bucks fighting over a female would do. Also, I suggest a larger rack (always good advice). The larger rack may also make the beefier proportions of the buck look more like muscle and less like gout or fat.

You can't make everyone happy, but I thought I'd just move a bit forward with the design. I trimmed the gut and also did a face-forward version. That is not overly-polished, but you get the idea.

The obvious change is the color scheme. I am in the majority thinking that red and green make a Christmas logo. This is green and mustard gold, which was a color of the 1st Bucks logo years ago.

I tried green and light blue, like Tulane. I liked it, but too trendy or different for the Bucks.

Green and grey looked too cold together.

Green and burnt orange was a bit too pumpkin.

Dark green and light green are not that appealing.

I thought that green and purple actually looked good with this logo, but no one seems to want to go there, unfortunately. Maybe I'll show that one later just for kicks.

BucksRichards2.jpg

Gold looks pretty good, and I could see the next move they make identity-wise being something that rides the coattails of one of Wisconsin's more successful teams.

I'd love to see the green and purple version... I really would've had no problem with that combo had green been the primary color. You might want to experiment with more of a Celtics green though.

99465722_z.jpg

The green and gold looks great and I felt that even before I considered the Packers connection. Big improvement.

The secondary logo is so good I don't even know if a full bodied logo is needed. I can't imagine the entire buck making an appearance on a jersey, while the head logo would make a fine shorts or back-of-collar logo.

Archived