Atlanta Silverbacks Retain Name; Launch Logo Design Contest

Louis

ONE OF THEM IS A :censored:ING RIP OFF. A simple google of "silverback logo" will bring this up.

silverback2.png

A Google search also reveals that said mark was a stock logo sold by graphic designer Greg Grigoriou through the LogoTurn.com website. Meaning that it is possible that the Atlanta Silverbacks organization was the customer that purchased said mark from Mr. Grigoriou.

That said, one has to wonder why slight - and, to my eye, unnecessary - modifications were made to Mr. Grigoriou's original logo? Perhaps said alterations were made by Grigourio at the request of the Silverbacks? After all, Grigourio's listing for the mark on LogoTurn.com did offer-up "[c]ustomization" of the design prior to purchase. Perhaps they were made by the Silverbacks' professional design partners after the original logo was purchased from Grigourio? Or, perhaps Grigourio's original stock logo was shamelessly lifted from the LogoTurn.com website and passed-off as original work?

In any event, if it turns out that said depiction of a silverback gorilla was legally obtained from Mr. Grigourio by the Atlanta Silverbacks, than the logo containing it would be my pick from amongst these four candidates. It has something of an early-to-mid-1970s European football club vibe about it that I quite like.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In any event, if it turns out that said depiction of a silverback gorilla was legally obtained from Mr. Grigourio by the Atlanta Silverbacks, than the logo containing it would be my pick from amongst these four candidates. It has something of an early-to-mid-1970s European football club vibe about it that I quite like.

I am working on an article for the SportsLogos.net news site, and I will have more to say about it there, but this is what happened. The Silverbacks do in fact own the design.

Just wanted to say the article is up. I honestly went into it with a very negative connotation, and although I can fully understand not agreeing with everything the team did, after talking to them, I completely understand where the team is coming from.

http://news.sportslogos.net/atlanta-silverbacks-reveal-logo-finalists

Thanks for the article, although you're missing something here:

Almost immediately, the similarities between one of the designs and a Silverback Gorilla logo designed by Greg Grigoriou. The logo was in fact purchased by the Silverbacks after seeing Mr. Grigoriou’s logo and being a big fan of it.

That first sentence isn't clear. Was it submitted as an original design and then they reached out to the original creator, or was it submitted with the acknowledgment that there were outstanding rights issues?

Presuming the best in that one instance, the whole thing is still very slapdash for a professional organization. Besides, "one of the late entries almost won!" Isn't a very good excuse - if all entries had been given a fair shot that late entry might have won outright.

I have a feeling, in hindsight, the team might have done things differently, the foremost spending less time on the name change that wasn't.

I amended the sentence in the article, but the Grigoriou design wasn't submitted in the initial contest. It was a design done by the team itself after it procured the original.

Yeah, if they were that pressed for time, maybe holding two contests in a row was a bad idea. They ran one seemingly very well, and completely bungled (so far) the second one.

Also seems strange that they would make such a big deal about a fan design going up against a professional design in a vote, and then give no indication which one was which when they unveil the finalists.

I hope Atlanta fans are okay with the eventual result, because this process is really looking like an object lesson for future rebranding contests.

154310_460404524010780_1183947876_n.jpg

155981_462717023779530_2079414517_n.jpg

Hey all,

I am the designer of the somewhat, at least on this forum board, controversial gorilla logo pictured above, as well as the connected "AS" logo on the bottom. I'm just reading now, that in the recent past I have been accused of being heavily "influenced" by the Clink Room's, Clink Kong. I just wanted to state that I, in no way, used their logo. The one thing I can't handle about the graphic design community is the rapidly growing trend of people calling themselves designers, but only producing work that is clip art and forged from other designers. My respect for Brandiose and other firms of their caliber are extremely high and my ultimate dream is to eventually get to their level of noticeability and success. Therefore when brainstorming and sketching for this Silverbacks' project, I didn't even look at Clink Kong or other successful gorilla designs, for fear that I would unconsciously look at it for details to add. Any connections made between my logo and other logos like it, are purely stylistic trends of highlights, shadows, and textures.

I pride myself in making quality, and most importantly, original designs in everything I do. I thank the other forum members who fought for my credibility during my absence on this topic. Regardless if the matter was settled a long while ago, I still wanted to put in my two cents, being the actual designer. Although I religiously visit this site and look at the "concept" forum on a near daily bases, I haven't come into the "sports logos" forum in awhile so if this post seems extremely delayed, I apologize...Wish I would have seen it sooner...

Thanks, Ryan

I am working on an article for the SportsLogos.net news site, and I will have more to say about it there, but this is what happened. The Silverbacks do in fact own the design.

I wonder if the gorilla would be used in secondary marks or some element of the club's marketing even if it isn't chosen as the crest. None of the other options incorporate a gorilla, so it could easily be a complementary element.

Congrats, Ryan. I'm glad they liked your monogram enough to bring it into the final round of voting.

I appreciate you wanting to defend yourself, I don't think it's particularly necessary at this point. While one person thought your logo was "inspired by" Clink Kong, there were several of us who leapt to your defense. There were entries directly lifted from that design, but it was clear to most of us that yours wasn't among them.

Good luck!

I too liked the monogram, but I will add that it would work best for a team who's nickname doesn't lend itself to a rendering of the subject matter. However, as a logo, it has a real retro feel, and could work as a secondary logo for baseball-style jackets. Used this way, it would look marvellous!

Good work sir!

bifcolympique_zps28a2961e.png

154310_460404524010780_1183947876_n.jpg

155981_462717023779530_2079414517_n.jpg

Hey all,

I am the designer of the somewhat, at least on this forum board, controversial gorilla logo pictured above, as well as the connected "AS" logo on the bottom. I'm just reading now, that in the recent past I have been accused of being heavily "influenced" by the Clink Room's, Clink Kong. I just wanted to state that I, in no way, used their logo. The one thing I can't handle about the graphic design community is the rapidly growing trend of people calling themselves designers, but only producing work that is clip art and forged from other designers. My respect for Brandiose and other firms of their caliber are extremely high and my ultimate dream is to eventually get to their level of noticeability and success. Therefore when brainstorming and sketching for this Silverbacks' project, I didn't even look at Clink Kong or other successful gorilla designs, for fear that I would unconsciously look at it for details to add. Any connections made between my logo and other logos like it, are purely stylistic trends of highlights, shadows, and textures.

I pride myself in making quality, and most importantly, original designs in everything I do. I thank the other forum members who fought for my credibility during my absence on this topic. Regardless if the matter was settled a long while ago, I still wanted to put in my two cents, being the actual designer. Although I religiously visit this site and look at the "concept" forum on a near daily bases, I haven't come into the "sports logos" forum in awhile so if this post seems extremely delayed, I apologize...Wish I would have seen it sooner...

Thanks, Ryan

Sorry man. I take everything back... It was nothing personal, I've just seen to much of that lazy designing from the youngsters these days.

Job well done and welcome to the boards. I hope you stick around, as we can always use good designers around here...

• 1 month later...

I'm not at all. Every word I posted is true and heartfelt.

The monogram on its own is very nice. Would make an excellent secondary, put it on the coaches' caps. But that roundel thing is way too much.

agreed.

feels a bit incomplete to me. does that badge visually show me that this is an Atlanta team with a Silverback identity? nope. it just tells me that this is a soccer team with the initials "AS". seems like a manufactured "look, we have history and this sweet monogram."

I definitely don't hate the new Silverbacks logo. I quite like it in some ways. But I think with this competition, the "safest" choice was selected. I think that's probably pretty typical with contests driven by fan votes.

I would've liked to see at least a small reference to the silverback gorilla in the logo.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Archived