2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

Yeah, that big looping L doesn't work. It draws too much attention to itself and away from the rest of it. You lose the gestalt!

I don't understand the whole idea of a city script on a home alternate but not a road uniform, plus this whole hat mess they've created for themselves. I liked that the Cardinals had everything pretty much streamlined.

Oh, and if you use "class" as a noun in that sense, you probably lack it yourself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lights Out, you stole his idea!!!!

https://twitter.com/...481561504768002

Haha. The Cardinals have had the BoB St. Louis wordmark in their package for several years, even if it didn't appear on a jersey. In fact, that guy took said script, moved "Louis" up, and called it his own. Furthermore, it looks like crap the way he rendered it. I hope this guy is being roundly made fun of on Twitter.

I actually am not convinced that's true. I know it's been on this site for years, but I've had access to a handful of logo sheets over the past decade, and it's never been on one.

Nonetheless, it's obviously not a unique idea.

Lights Out, you stole his idea!!!!

https://twitter.com/...481561504768002

Haha. The Cardinals have had the BoB St. Louis wordmark in their package for several years, even if it didn't appear on a jersey. In fact, that guy took said script, moved "Louis" up, and called it his own. Furthermore, it looks like crap the way he rendered it. I hope this guy is being roundly made fun of on Twitter.

I actually am not convinced that's true. I know it's been on this site for years, but I've had access to a handful of logo sheets over the past couple of decades, and it's never been on one.

Nonetheless, it's obviously not a unique idea.

Regardless, it was created by the Cardinals in some capacity. I used it about five years ago to make a jersey in MVP Baseball 2005, so it's been around for a while. I don't think it was a fan creation, considering it's identical to the one they are using now. That guy took the file that someone else created, moved "Louis" up and threw a fit when the Cardinals used it themselves.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, that big looping L doesn't work. It draws too much attention to itself and away from the rest of it. You lose the gestalt!

I can't see Lights Out's pic here at work, but if it doesn't work that way, maybe the solution is tweaking the letters so the L doesn't come so close to the bat. With it coming that close, it looks like it should loop around the bat. If it didn't go as high, it wouldn't look like it needed to loop around.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The numbers on the front are a half inch shorter. And I believe the names are on the back, but I don't know for sure.

Just get rid of the numbers on the front. Numbers on the front of baseball jerseys look out of place.

I think it's very much a team to team thing, but I like them.

Numbers on the front are required on Cardinals uniforms. They took them off in 1998 (or maybe it was 97 or 99) and fans got pissed. Had to put them back.

The numbers on the front are a half inch shorter. And I believe the names are on the back, but I don't know for sure.

Just get rid of the numbers on the front. Numbers on the front of baseball jerseys look out of place.

Numbers on the front are required on Cardinals uniforms. They took them off in 1998 (or maybe it was 97 or 99) and fans got pissed. Had to put them back.

Seriously, what Cardinals fan needs to see a number to know what player it is? I just think jerseys without the front number has a more classic look.

Seriously, what Cardinals fan needs to see a number to know what player it is? I just think jerseys without the front number has a more classic look.

It's not about identifying the player, it's just about tradition. Which, as I said earlier, is not good design reasoning in and of itself. But if all else is equal, it can be used.

I think that's the case here. When a Cards uniform doesn't have a number on the front, it looks barren.

I actually think it looked better without the front numbers. Because their wordmarks take up so much space on the front, the numbers look awkward and just clutter up the jersey.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I like the home script without numbers, but numbers with the St. Louis script. Not sure why.

That actually is odd, since it's the opposite of what I'd expect. As someone mentioned earlier, the L in the St. Louis script appears to awkwardly push the numbers lower on the jersey.

Maybe the added gap is what appeals to you, though.

I like the home script without numbers, but numbers with the St. Louis script. Not sure why.

That actually is odd, since it's the opposite of what I'd expect. As someone mentioned earlier, the L in the St. Louis script appears to awkwardly push the numbers lower on the jersey.

Well, if there aren't any numbers on the homes to compare it to, then the number isn't awkwardly lower, it's just where it is. It's one way to skin a cat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For the whole "St Louis/birds on bat" problem, what I would have done was lessened the angle with which the bat appeared (closer to a horizontal line, but still angled slightly up and back) on ALL 3 jerseys. The "Cardinals/birds on bat" wordmark can handle it anyway since in the word "Cardinals", there's no tall letters like the "L" in St. Louis. It would have just been a little tweak. That's actually what I was hoping for when I heard the speculation that the "birds on bat" would be tweaked position-wise. This would have allowed the "L" to wrap around without looking elongated, plus performing the same tweak on all 3 jerseys would have created better continunity and consistency. Thoughts?

For the whole "St Louis/birds on bat" problem, what I would have done was lessened the angle with which the bat appeared (closer to a horizontal line, but still angled slightly up and back) on ALL 3 jerseys. The "Cardinals/birds on bat" wordmark can handle it anyway since in the word "Cardinals", there's no tall letters like the "L" in St. Louis. It would have just been a little tweak. That's actually what I was hoping for when I heard the speculation that the "birds on bat" would be tweaked position-wise. This would have allowed the "L" to wrap around without looking elongated, plus performing the same tweak on all 3 jerseys would have created better continunity and consistency. Thoughts?

I don't know what they've tried, but I feel like I've seen everything tried, and I just think what they did is the only thing that really works.

It's still not perfect since the L overlaps instead of hangs, but it's the best of the options.

I don't know what they've tried, but I feel like I've seen everything tried, and I just think what they did is the only thing that really works.

It's still not perfect since the L overlaps instead of hangs, but it's the best of the options.

Well, what about making the angle of the bat steeper on all jerseys? That might be the best solution. And from the looks of it, the bat used to be steeper in the early Musial days.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, what about making the angle of the bat steeper on all jerseys? That might be the best solution. And from the looks of it, the bat used to be steeper in the early Musial days.

That's not a bad idea either. The "L" just looks somewhat awkward the way it halfway blocks part of the middle of the bat. It's like it needs to go all the way and loop, or it needs to not touch it at all.

Archived