2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know 95% of the people on this board can't stand a road jersey without a city name, but I've never understood that.

I much prefer when a team's primary home and primary road have the same wordmark (in MLB and NBA) and match each other exactly aside from colors. Whether it's the team name or city name doesn't really matter.

As for the Cardinals, I'd have preferred the alt be red instead of white/cream/whatever it is, but what are you gonna do.

I'm assuming the cap designations are just that, designations. Some teams, the Rockies black/purple cap comes to mind, may designate a cap as an alt but then wear it as a road. Hopefully that's what they do here and match the navy cap with the roads and the "Sunday" cap with the alts.

I'm a little confused about the navy hats. So they're keeping the navy St.L hat AND the navy cardinal hat, with both in use as occasional alternates?

That seems to be the case. If so, the Cardinals just went from a team with an regular and dependable uniform schedule to a Mets-style free-for-all.

I'm assuming the cap designations are just that, designations. Some teams, the Rockies black/purple cap comes to mind, may designate a cap as an alt but then wear it as a road. Hopefully that's what they do here and match the navy cap with the roads and the "Sunday" cap with the alts.

Why would they bother re-designating the caps just to keep wearing them the same way they have been?

Why would they bother re-designating the caps just to keep wearing them the same way they have been?

Plus the navy belts are gone.

As much as I think the navy caps were the better route, I can't even route for them any more.

The lack of navy belts and the fact that they're just a "whenever we want" hat ruin them.

And again, the worst part about all of this is that since the Cards left the birds on the bat and back this whole thing up as being steeped in tradition, the fan base is in love. So the negative reaction necessary to switch this just isn't going to happen.

I don't like the "L" in the new wordmark. First off, it should loop around the bat, as previously mentioned. Secondly, I don't like how it curves down on the right, which pushes the numbers down an inch or so further than on the other jerseys. They should have the L do the same exact thing the C in Cardinals does - curve up slightly and then taper back down at the end. I will do a mock-up later tonight if I have time.

Also, I don't like them keeping all three hats around and having the two be alternates. This makes it more likely that they will get rid of the road batting helmets and double down on the horrible error of wearing red helmets with the BoB caps by wearing red helmets with the solid navy cap, too.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

A71cLoCCEAED0eA.jpg

I'm so disappointed. Almost as bad as when Pujols left last year.

Hey also guys, if you've ever done a St. Louis birds on the bat concept, will you tweet at @CharlesSollars and inform him the Cardinals didn't steal his design?

How could they copy him when they copied me!?!??!

cardinalsunis2.jpg

I tweeted him.

Here's what the Cardinals had for the past 15 years.

1. Home: Clean white jersey paired with red cap with white logo.

2. Road: Clean grey jersey paired with navy cap with red logo (and navy belts).

3. Home Alternate: Clean white jersey (same as home) paired with alternate navy and red cap with alternate logo. Worn on Sundays home games.

Here's the mess they have now.

1. Home: Clean white jersey paired with red cap with white logo.

2. Road: Clean grey jersey paired with red cap with white logo.

3. Home Alternate 1: Off-white jersey paired with red cap with white logo. Worn on Saturday home games.

4. Home Alternate 2: Clean white jersey (same as home) paired with alternate navy and red cap with alternate logo. Worn on Sundays home games.

5. Road Alternate 1: Clean grey jersey (same as road) paired with alternate navy cap with red logo. Worn at random.

It's such a clusterpoop compared to the beauty and rigidity which they had. It's just sad to see them do this to their identity.

The script looks perfect, but why not just put it on the greys?

I don't like the placket piping. I prefer the cleanliness of the other Cardinals uniforms.

The Cardinals are pure class.

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lights Out, you stole his idea!!!!

https://twitter.com/...481561504768002

Haha. The Cardinals have had the BoB St. Louis wordmark in their package for several years, even if it didn't appear on a jersey. In fact, that guy took said script, moved "Louis" up, and called it his own. Furthermore, it looks like crap the way he rendered it. I hope this guy is being roundly made fun of on Twitter.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As I've stated before, I'm not a particular advocate of the St. Louis script. It's fine, I just don't buy into the theory that the city has to go on the road.

But now I'm at the point where I wish they'd have just done this:

1. Update the scripts with the new detailed stitching.

2. Update the numbers size.

3. Leave the home uniform otherwise untouched.

4. Put the St. Louis script on the roads, leave the navy cap and belts.

5. Leave the Sunday alt hat (or not, I really don't care).

6. No alternate uniform.

It'd be beautiful and simple and you'd have still made a change if you were in the mood to make one.

Archived