2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Why does everyone hate gray? I love these forums, but it seems NFL opinions are dominated by traditionalists. Personally, I feel the nicest uniforms in all of football are Oregon's black/grey/CF helmet and their yellow/grey/CF helmet combos...they gray makes the black and yellow so much more prominent and provides a great base for those colors to work off of. Everything is subjective, I'm just surprised those with such strong opinions here aren't more progressive thinking with their uniform tastes.

Complaining about how people don't conform to your personal tastes won't endear you to anyone.

I'm not asking anyone to conform to my personal tastes, nor am I here to gain the endearment of people on the internet. I'm just stating that the overall outlook in this thread is close-minded in the name of "tradition", and that it's surprising to me. Which is, again, an opinion, and no one else has to agree with it, but as far as I know, I'm allowed to state it.

Back to my original question: why does everyone hate gray? Is there a specific reason or do those here just not like it in general? If so, that's fine, but that's what I was asking.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does everyone hate gray? I love these forums, but it seems NFL opinions are dominated by traditionalists. Personally, I feel the nicest uniforms in all of football are Oregon's black/grey/CF helmet and their yellow/grey/CF helmet combos...they gray makes the black and yellow so much more prominent and provides a great base for those colors to work off of. Everything is subjective, I'm just surprised those with such strong opinions here aren't more progressive thinking with their uniform tastes.

I was actually going to back you on your comment but when you went down the "everything is subjective" route you totally lost me. Everything is NOT subjective, there is GOOD and there is BAD design. period. The true challenge is that not everyone can agree on either one each time so if you are going to take a stand that is outside of the norm then be ready to articulate why you think that way and defend your stance. I've sat in on enough art class critique sessions in college where full blown arguments broke out by two different people trying to defend their opinions only to be derailed by the "Art is Subjective" statement...it just isn't. I find it to be a lazy argument. Describe why you like something and stand by your argument...just don't fall victim to the subjective bull$#!t. Know what I mean?

Complaining about how people don't conform to your personal tastes won't endear you to anyone.

IceCap - He kinda reminds me of me a few years ago when I was all about the modern looks, but then I came to my senses to realize that Nike screws over most uniforms because they never think about tradition and only push the limits to madness. Oregon is a perfect example.

This is what I mean - the absolute statement made here that whatever Nike touches, they ruin because they don't consider tradition, which is not truth. We have to remember that teams have final say over their designs, and often direct the designs to Nike, which they run with and toy with, or at least if Nike comes back to the school with something original, the school has to say yes or no. Nike doesn't make the final decision on what any team wears on the field, because the last time I checked, Nike doesn't own a football franchise.

Also, if we're talking about examples, I think you need to consider what Nike's designs have done for Oregon's program, both on and off the field. Nothing negative, except for the Nancy's who can't respect something they don't personally like. Nike's work with Oregon has been a resounding success, whether you like it or not.

I was actually going to back you on your comment but when you went down the "everything is subjective" route you totally lost me. Everything is NOT subjective, there is GOOD and there is BAD design. period. The true challenge is that not everyone can agree on either one each time so if you are going to take a stand that is outside of the norm then be ready to articulate why you think that way and defend your stance. I've sat in on enough art class critique sessions in college where full blown arguments broke out by two different people trying to defend their opinions only to be derailed by the "Art is Subjective" statement...it just isn't. I find it to be a lazy argument. Describe why you like something and stand by your argument...just don't fall victim to the subjective bull$#!t. Know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean - I have an art degree and sat through countless hours of the same crap, but I didn't mean that design is subjective, but rather opinions are subjective. I can think a horrible design is great, but it might still be horrible in a "design" sense, and vice versa.

It's the kind of mind:censored: that made me hate my art degree :) "Everything is subjective," is the kind of argument that makes our society the rotting thing that it is! But I think in the case of art & design, even if the design is deemed "sound" by "art experts", it's still art, it's still design, which in and of itself is subjective...you either individually like it or you don't, regardless of what the textbooks or professors say is "good" or "bad".

IceCap - He kinda reminds me of me a few years ago when I was all about the modern looks, but then I came to my senses to realize that Nike screws over most uniforms because they never think about tradition and only push the limits to madness. Oregon is a perfect example.

This is what I mean - the absolute statement made here that whatever Nike touches, they ruin because they don't consider tradition, which is not truth. We have to remember that teams have final say over their designs, and often direct the designs to Nike, which they run with and toy with, or at least if Nike comes back to the school with something original, the school has to say yes or no. Nike doesn't make the final decision on what any team wears on the field, because the last time I checked, Nike doesn't own a football franchise.

Also, if we're talking about examples, I think you need to consider what Nike's designs have done for Oregon's program, both on and off the field. Nothing negative, except for the Nancy's who can't respect something they don't personally like. Nike's work with Oregon has been a resounding success, whether you like it or not.

I have to be honest...I love the Oregon unis throughout the years. They have actually helped me broaden my horizons in design. I hated many of them when they first came out but ended up loving them. You can say (dare I even say it) that Nike has allowed me to come out of my comfort zone *shudders*

I have to be honest...I love the Oregon unis throughout the years. They have actually helped me broaden my horizons in design. I hated many of them when they first came out but ended up loving them. You can say (dare I even say it) that Nike has allowed me to come out of my comfort zone *shudders*

AMEN! That goes back to my initial point - there is no "end all" or "be all" of uniform design, but there are respectful ways to say whether you like or dislike one, and traditionalists are pretty hard around here against anything "new".

I know exactly what you mean - I have an art degree and sat through countless hours of the same crap, but I didn't mean that design is subjective, but rather opinions are subjective. I can think a horrible design is great, but it might still be horrible in a "design" sense, and vice versa.

It's the kind of mind:censored: that made me hate my art degree :) "Everything is subjective," is the kind of argument that makes our society the rotting thing that it is! But I think in the case of art & design, even if the design is deemed "sound" by "art experts", it's still art, it's still design, which in and of itself is subjective...you either individually like it or you don't, regardless of what the textbooks or professors say is "good" or "bad".

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate differing opinions and credit many of them for opening me up to new thoughts and ideas. No worries brother, I hear ya and hope you continue to contribute. Welcome aboard!

Let me re-phrase: Nike does not destroy everything that they touch because there are several uniforms they have that I love. Like Kentucky, Oklahoma State, Rutgers, Missouri, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Ohio State and many many more. I just don't like the chrome helmet and plan pants and Oregon is the perfect example to make when modern is too much.

spacer.png

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate differing opinions and credit many of them for opening me up to new thoughts and ideas. No worries brother, I hear ya and hope you continue to contribute. Welcome aboard!

Thanks, you too. I have been lurking for awhile, but now that I've seen all (most) of the good conversation here, I'm checking in daily for news and thoughts. Great board.

I thought their best uniform set was the diamond-plate set...but back to the NFL, I actually liked Seattle's set last year, but I am worried that they are gonna go overboard on the Miami set this year.

spacer.png

I like what Seattle did last year also. Was it top notch? Probably not, but I think a big improvement over their previous uniforms. I'm anxious to see what route Miami has gone, but I've got a very "South Beach" feeling about it, especially with the "all white" reports. It's going to be bright and clean and crisp and I think it'll work well for them.

FWIW, I've read in multiple places that the Dolphins' unis will be rather conservative as compared to recent NFL uni changes. All we can do now is wait.

There are reports saying they are going to be plain and that scares me as their previous white uniforms were perfect. Stripes on the helmet and pants are a key component when doing white uniforms. Plain white pants look generic and boring.

spacer.png

FWIW, I've read in multiple places that the Dolphins' unis will be rather conservative as compared to recent NFL uni changes. All we can do now is wait.

There are reports saying they are going to be plain and that scares me as their previous white uniforms were perfect. Stripes on the helmet and pants are a key component when doing white uniforms. Plain white pants look generic and boring.

Fans of Oregon's "Stormtrooper" uniforms would disagree with you.

They are a minority compared to the rest of the NCAA and NFL. The best all-white look the NCAA IMO is Auburn or Virginia Tech. Now can we please get back to the NFL on this page and not talk about Oregon? The rest of the forum members will be upset by us going off subject. Thanks. BTW, this was a beautiful look from the Dolphins.

spacer.png

They are a minority compared to the rest of the NCAA and NFL. The best all-white look the NCAA IMO is Auburn or Virginia Tech. Now can we please get back to the NFL on this page and not talk about Oregon? The rest of the forum members will be upset by us going off subject. Thanks. BTW, this was a beautiful look from the Dolphins.

Really? Who are you to say who are in a minority? Or who has the best all-white look? Quit with the holier than thou stuff. Your opinions are not fact. This is a discussion about upcoming new uniforms, one of which is the Miami Dolphins, who are rumored to be wearing an all-white uniform, which makes comparison's to Oregon's all-white of the past 2 years fair game.

Lastly, I'm not a child, so you can stop with the acting like it. This isn't my first time on a message board and I don't appreciate you attempting to dictate to me what the conversation will be based on your post count.

I agree with you about the Dolphins. All-white is a great look, especially for them, but I'm hoping they're not gonna think that this whole "all-white" thing there going for will allow them to go overboard with white face masks, white socks, minimal stripe-age, etc. Part of the greatness of all-white, IMO, is the little blips of color that just pop against the crisp, white background. They shouldn't ruin that.

Isn't it odd how, while the Dolphins are transitioning to an all-white set, the Jags are moving towards an all-black theme? A monochromatic sign of the times, I suppose.

EDIT: What's wrong with a little OT when there's just nothing really to report on at the moment? Heck, there been nothing since the leaks and Miami's announcement.

Why does everyone hate gray? I love these forums, but it seems NFL opinions are dominated by traditionalists.

Yeah, those people we keep complaining about because they love... gray face masks.

Look, it's futile to paint a diverse community such as this with broad strokes. Make your case, but leave other posters out of it lest they be seen as strawmen.

I agree with you about the Dolphins. All-white is a great look, especially for them, but I'm hoping they're not gonna think that this whole "all-white" thing there going for will allow them to go overboard with white face masks, white socks, minimal stripe-age, etc. Part of the greatness of all-white, IMO, is the little blips of color that just pop against the crisp, white background. They shouldn't ruin that.

Isn't it odd how, while the Dolphins are transitioning to an all-white set, the Jags are moving towards an all-black theme? A monochromatic sign of the times, I suppose

I love monochrome when it is done right and I really hope the Jaguars set is a thing of beauty. Heck, I really hope the Jags turn their organization around completely as I hate seeing a team fail for long periods of time. By the way, I do have to admit that I am starting to love the new logo by the Jags...sometimes it takes time to see things better.

spacer.png

Archived