Championships/Seasons That Came Down To A Single Play

pianoknight

December 11, 2011

Giants @ Cowboys

The Giants came in at 6-6, losing four in a row. The Cowboys were 7-5.

The 4th Quarter actually had two plays late which assisted the Giants:

1- Cowboys leading 34-29 with under 3 minutes and the Giants with one timeout left, there was a Cowboys 3rd and 5 at the Dallas 25. Romo misses Miles Austin who beat Aaron Ross on a slant. Cowboys punt, Giants score a TD to take the lead with under a minute left.

2-The final play of the game was a FG block by JPP.

Had the Giants lost, they would have been eliminated from the playoffs as they had no tiebreakers to win the NFC East.

Well, the title of that video is inaccurate. That wouldn't have been a go-ahead FG.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

December 11, 2011

Giants @ Cowboys

The Giants came in at 6-6, losing four in a row. The Cowboys were 7-5.

The 4th Quarter actually had two plays late which assisted the Giants:

1- Cowboys leading 34-29 with under 3 minutes and the Giants with one timeout left, there was a Cowboys 3rd and 5 at the Dallas 25. Romo misses Miles Austin who beat Aaron Ross on a slant. Cowboys punt, Giants score a TD to take the lead with under a minute left.

2-The final play of the game was a FG block by JPP.

Had the Giants lost, they would have been eliminated from the playoffs as they had no tiebreakers to win the NFC East.

I remember listening to the end of that game in the LIRR parking lot while my windows were de-fogging. Dallas actually made the last-second FG but Tom Coughlin called a timeout so they had a do-over. And then the kicked was blocked.

Blackhawks vs Canucks. Game 7, 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

It's crazy to think that the Nashville series, The game 2 slaying of San Jose, Ryan Kelser and Kevin Bieksa's heroics in game 5, the first Stanley Cup Final game in Vancouver in 17 years, Raffi Torres with 19 seconds to go, Alex Burrows winning game 2 in overtime (I was there!), the 4 day nightmare in Boston, Luongo's beaking after game 5, The lopsided game 7 and humiliating riots that followed never would have happened if the Hawks won that one game.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Chris :censored:ing Campoli...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No game (chapionship, regular season, etc.), series, or season, ever comes down to one play.

I guess it's still fun to talk about, though.

Way to rain on the parade.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

No game (chapionship, regular season, etc.), series, or season, ever comes down to one play.

Way to rain on the parade.

The walk off base hit or home-run beg to differ.
packchampionslfroh.png

Nothing's ever happened ever. This is all just a nightmare being had by a banana.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Was just chatting with a friend about this and thought it would be good forum fodder.

What championships, or entire seasons, do you remember that came down to one single play?

For me, two scenarios come to mind - both football. Super Bowl XXXIV - Rams versus Titans. The last minute drive by Tennessee that fell a yard short. A season lost in 36 inches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJSDyPvyOGw

I always wondered if Jax would have made the SB that year if it wasn't for the Music City Miracle.

Was just chatting with a friend about this and thought it would be good forum fodder.

What championships, or entire seasons, do you remember that came down to one single play?

For me, two scenarios come to mind - both football. Super Bowl XXXIV - Rams versus Titans. The last minute drive by Tennessee that fell a yard short. A season lost in 36 inches.

I always wondered if Jax would have made the SB that year if it wasn't for the Music City Miracle.

If I remember right, Buffalo beat Jacksonville to advance to the aforementioned game against Tennessee.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If I remember right, Buffalo beat Jacksonville to advance to the aforementioned game against Tennessee.

Jacksonville lost to Tennessee in the playoffs that year and also lost to them twice in their 14-2 season, making the Jaguars the only team to have all of their losses come against the same opponent in one season and playoffs.

I know we're getting a little off kilter here with moments that culminated in championships or seasons or whatever, but since the boundaries are loose, I'm going to run with it.

Who can forget this play from last year?

I still try to forget not only that play, but that whole last drive. :angered:

So many championship football games are won/lost on field goals made or missed. Falcons/Vikings OT for NFC championship in 1999 season comes to mind, as does the Hartley kick in OT which won the NFC for the Saints a few years back.

To me, that wasn't the one play though...it was Favre's pick. As the Vikings' radio announcer famously said before the 3rd and 15 play, "If we don't turn this ball over, we're going to Miami!"

Oops.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Jacksonville lost to Tennessee in the playoffs that year and also lost to them twice in their 14-2 season, making the Jaguars the only team to have all of their losses come against the same opponent in one season and playoffs.

And that loss to Tennessee came in the AFC Championship game. If Buffalo would had beat Tennessee then who knows.

Archived